"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

I do a little of all three. Nights when DH is around, I try to make sure it's something he likes, even if it's not his favorite. He wasn't raised eating much fruit or veggies--and what they did have came out of a can--so it's a challenge to try a lot of different veggie recipes. I could have vegetarian meals several times a week! I don't like to cook two dinners for the two of us, so I try to find compromises. Sometimes it works better than others!

Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

For family dinners, I'll usually cook things that either:

a. They've never tried before, or
b. That they would never think of ordering at a restaurant

I'll sometimes use them as guinea pigs for dishes that I am considering to run at the restaurant, and then tweak and adjust the dish from there, depending on how it turns out.

When we used to do dinners pot luck style, it used to be weird since the dish that I brought would be very different from everyone elses. They solved that problem by not doing anymore pot lucks and making me cook everything.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #13
Hospitality Queen

Iron Chef, I want to be adopted into your family so I can test the foods too!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

NIce post Bucky..

I think since I enjoy it so much just cooking is what pleases me My dh is so easy to please it bugs me at times I could serve up my Whimpy a burger every night and he'd be happy..I do have to admit he has been telling people about how I cook for all of us each Sunday and how good it is..So, I guess I land in the middle and cook to please all of us...
kadesma, off to put a glaze on the ham
Old 06-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I make something nice when friends are over. I HAVE something nice when the ladies come over.

Haaaaaaaa? Nudge nudge, wink, wink.........
Old 06-06-2005, 08:20 PM   #16
DC Grandma

Follow me Sushie..to you know where...I've taught you better than that. But then....................forget it.

Just treat them right.
G.ma Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hee... hee hee.... you spelled my name wrong. Guess youre talking to someone else. Theres still the woodshed. No one would tear it down. *running into Cafe*
Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I have very broad tastes. I love foreign cuisines and exotic foods. I also like my foods well-seasoned (not necessarily spiced, just well-flavored). PeppA is used to plain, unseasoned foods, usually fried, and other sides out of a box or can.

PeppA usually likes what I cook. There are a few things that she doesn't go for. The real challenge is the kids. The older two boys are somewhat picky, with the oldest one being VERY picky (that's the autism kicking in, mostly). They won't touch any soup/stew that I make. Usually, something new or different goes uneaten. That said, they love my Fried Chicken, Roast Chicken, Smoked Chicken, and Smoked turkey legs (notice a pattern?). If I make my homemade Beef Stroganoff, they'll usually choke some down, but I know they'd rather have what PeppA makes (Hamburger Helper, bleck!)

I usually try to accomodate everyone. Sometimes, PeppA wants me to make something that I know the kids just won't eat (soups/stews in the winter). There have been times that I've told them to "Eat what I put in front of you, or do without", like when I was a kid. Sometimes we go ahead and cook something quick for them.

The really big problem is when PeppA or her Mom cooks. I usually just don't eat those nights. This is mostly my own predjudices kicking in, from what I was raised on, how I was trained, and my experience. I realize that I do not really go for plain food. I just have a really hard time eating it.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

Being single I cook whatever I want. But if I am having company for dinner I cook according to their tastes. For example, my dad hates bellpeppers, so I cook dishes without them when my parents are over for a meal.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 06-07-2005, 10:36 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Reading the post from men who cook makes me drool with envy. I do love to cook but it would be nice if husband could give me a day off now and then. He is the most cooking impaired man I know. I rember when I was working and at trial balance we all had to work late for 3 nights. I told him to just throw some hotdogs and beans on and go ahead and eat. Well!! when I got home he was waiting for me at the door very upset. He said he couldn't cook them because he didn't know how to turn on the oven!!! I did show him how to turn it on and explained they were done on top of the stove. The next night I came home to an awful smell, he had bought a daisy ham (I hate them) and put it in the oven along with some cabbage and NO water. Of course the cabbage was burnt as was the inner plastic casing of the ham he had negleted to remove. I have tried different methods of teaching him but each time was a disaster. My oldest son is a wonderful cook and has worked as a chef but he's 1500 miles away. I am doomed to be the only one in the house that can cook.