"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #31
Master Chef

What your vet is doing is common practice, but sometimes you do have to use your judgment. Three years ago when we moved here, I definitely knew my eldest dog desperately was overdue, and she lost a large number of teeth (she was 11 then). My husband doesn't believ in it, so it's a bit of a struggle. The ironic part is finding yourself forgoing dental care yourself to afford doggie dental (which can be more expensive). My advice is that if your pet has to go under for any other care, to have a cleaning done then. You pay for anestesia every time, so have as much done to your pet as the vet will do at that time. We had dental care done very regularly when our dogs were young, but at 11 and 13 years old, we're reluctant to have more dental done; not because we're cheapskates, but because at their ages we do not want them put under more often than is really needed. The blood tests ARE a good idea, we had full profiles done every time. Expensive, but again, it will let you know if you really should go forward. My vet doesn't like it, but neither dog will get a dental ever again. I was quite discouraged when a vet recommended a dental for my 13-year-old dog who has been diagnosed of dying of kidney disease. That's when you know your vet is looking at your pet as a cash cow.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #32
Master Chef

Wasabi, couldn't resist. One of mine is Keiki. A very uninspired name if you happen to live in Hawaii, but it has been fun here. 99% of the vet shops we go to call her Kiki and of course don't get it. But we went to a vet at Keesler AFB, and the vet assistant came out and I immediately (looking at him and seeing his name on his uniform) realized he was Hawaiian. He came out an said, "OK, who out here has Keiki??!!" We laughed and spent the time talking story. I'd really come up with great Hawaiian names for the rest of the litter, and we wound up keeping the pup with the least original name, but it's still been fun to have a dog with a Hawaiian name and history (her mother is Hawaiian).

Old 04-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #33
DC Grandma

Wouldn't Wasabi's Beautiful Chihuahua and my Dove make a beautiful couple????

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #34
DC Grandma

What does Keiki mean?

Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #35
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Wouldn't Wasabi's Beautiful Chihuahua and my Dove make a beautiful couple????
I want one of the puppies, please, I will name it after the two of you - Dosabi, Wasove, Dabi, Wado
Old 04-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
What does Keiki mean?
It means child.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Norg, I like Dosabi.
Sorry, my Paka is fixed.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #38
Master Chef

Keiki means child or baby, but is also used to mean any immature offspring -- in other words, it can mean a human baby, a puppy or kitten --- or even a seedling in a garden shop. So in Hawaii it would be the equivalent of naming your dog "puppy" or "baby"; hardly an inspired choice (what's the matter with me, no imagination?). But here on the mainland it's kind of a fun name. By the way it is pronounced KAY-KEE; or perhaps even KAY EEE KEE. Here everyone says KEEKEE and wonders why she won't answer!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, Wasabi, it has been a few years (like a decade!!!)
Old 04-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #39
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
Norg, I like Dosabi.
Sorry, my Paka is fixed.
unfix
Old 04-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #40
DC Grandma

Doive has been spayed now for 7 years..The breeded insisted because her front teeth are off, not show quality anymore...that is why she was let out to be adopted..he parents etc. have a looong line of Champions. ( that doesn't make me love her any more..my teeth are off too!)