Getting Dogs Teeth Cleaned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my dog's teeth cleaned about once a year @ the vet. They are 14, 14 and 11 years old.

It is VERY important to maintain good dental health in dogs. They can get very sick and SUFFER when they develop tooth decay.

As they age, expect some teeth to be pulled, but don't freak out about it.

I had a greyhound who lived to 15, the last 4 years of her life without any teeth at all. After 6 months or so she didn'teven notice it.

Teeth

I am so thankful you all love your animals? Isn't it a good feeling to know you are loved unconditionally? They sure are like family. I have read all your suggestions and know your animals are safe. No one will abuse your dogs. When I let them out at nite I don't have any lights in the yard so I have to go out and make sure they are okay . I worry about some coyote or nutcase trying to take them. I am sure they worry about me the same way. Even when I get ready to go out they sit by the bathroom door to see if I am going out. If I wouldn't close the door they come in there and watch. I have tried to give the dogs bones but vet advises me against it say the small bones may splinter their intestines. never heard of this before but I am sure he knows what he is talking about. Occassionally I give them large knuckle bone that I used for soup. I figure this way is exercising their teeth. I will go to the pet store and see what they have in way of cleaning their teeth in between visits. My niece has 10 dogs! 4 her own and 6 fosters. One just had to have his eye removed. I do count my blessings.

In the Kitchen said:
Even when I get ready to go out they sit by the bathroom door to see if I am going out. If I wouldn't close the door they come in there and watch. .

Oh! LOL!

I thought I was the only person whose dogs did that!! If I don't close the door all the way, they push it open and come in. And even with it closed firmly they still try their darndest to push it open.

My vet has also counseled against real bones. My dogs like "Dentabones" but they are $$. They chew on rawhide flips instead. My beagle gets very agitated if he doesn't have his before-bed chew, each and every night. We buy them in huge bags from BJ's.

BTW, pig ears have been known to carry salmonella and make dogs sick.

Hi i agree

In the Kitchen, i think your dogs teeth need to be cleaned regularly also! Yearly by doctor. But i have a Jack Russell Terrier and he lets me brush his teeth with baking soda . I think he likes it! hahahaha My son named him Killer, he sure is a Killer he'll lick you to death. In the kitchen i say listen to your Dr. They Know more than we do! I hope this helps!:)

Otter said:
Bridget is 11 1/2 and just had her teeth cleaned. Our vet does a blood test on all dogs over 7 and will not proceed if results indicate a health problem. Poor teeth can cause other problems, so I'd have the cleaning done annually if your dog's health permits.

at my little guy's last check-up, they discovered a heart murmur, (bean, my kitty), and they were cautious about cleaning his chomps. they gave him a chest x-ray and antibiotics before the procedure.

my other kitty has to probably have all his teeth pulled. he is so sweet it breaks my heart, but he has a rare disease. he has been so sick that he just stopped eating, and he went to his regular vet two times. well, many bottles of antibiotic and 3 pounds lighter, we were freaking out. he just wouldn't eat or drink anything.my Mom just started feeding him milk and ensure through his medicine syringes. he would take a little at a time, and was on pepcid and mylanta. (i laughed about that one; think of it. a kitty so stressed out that by 'middle age' he's on heartburn/ulcer meds, lol, poor little guy). he would eat raw tuna steak, shrimp, tender vittles, ribs and raw hamburger, but only once in awhile. just the other day my Mom and Dad just basically flipped that vet the bird and took him for his 3rd visit to a new one. welp, they fixed our boy right away. they diagnosed him right away, said his teeth may well all have to come out, but he'll adjust, gave him a shot, and he is so hungry now we have to watch to make sure he doesn't OVEReat, lol. it's great to see him so healthy. he's such an awesome cat, the sweetest little guy you could meet.

luvs_food said:
he's such an awesome cat, the sweetest little guy you could meet.

You couldn;t say such a thing around old Opal ... she had quite a taste for cats! Even without teeth she'd have gummed him down.

Seriously, I am glad your kitty is better. That's an example of the seriousness of hidden dental disease.

It is not a good idea to feed bones..especially chicken bones. They can splinter and puncture the intestons.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Whats a Koapaka?
lilo-and-stitch.jpg

This is my Koapaka. Koapaka means brave in Hawaiian.

img_103532_1_c5673b85432b8ce3a5b7dec4921f229e.jpg

luvs food: it's great to see him so healthy. he's such an awesome cat, the sweetest little guy you could meet.

Just what I needed to hear,good news! This gets me upset when I hear people you trust aren't really doing their best. I am so grateful you realized it and still have him! Love him everyday. Thanks for sharing. Goes to prove people are not always doing what they should.

wasabi, he sure looks brave. Koapoaka what a precious little friend. Love him every day.

Some woman just told me today she doesn't care for people who don't like animals. She has a point. I don't either. I think they are selfish.

What your vet is doing is common practice, but sometimes you do have to use your judgment. Three years ago when we moved here, I definitely knew my eldest dog desperately was overdue, and she lost a large number of teeth (she was 11 then). My husband doesn't believ in it, so it's a bit of a struggle. The ironic part is finding yourself forgoing dental care yourself to afford doggie dental (which can be more expensive). My advice is that if your pet has to go under for any other care, to have a cleaning done then. You pay for anestesia every time, so have as much done to your pet as the vet will do at that time. We had dental care done very regularly when our dogs were young, but at 11 and 13 years old, we're reluctant to have more dental done; not because we're cheapskates, but because at their ages we do not want them put under more often than is really needed. The blood tests ARE a good idea, we had full profiles done every time. Expensive, but again, it will let you know if you really should go forward. My vet doesn't like it, but neither dog will get a dental ever again. I was quite discouraged when a vet recommended a dental for my 13-year-old dog who has been diagnosed of dying of kidney disease. That's when you know your vet is looking at your pet as a cash cow.

Wasabi, couldn't resist. One of mine is Keiki. A very uninspired name if you happen to live in Hawaii, but it has been fun here. 99% of the vet shops we go to call her Kiki and of course don't get it. But we went to a vet at Keesler AFB, and the vet assistant came out and I immediately (looking at him and seeing his name on his uniform) realized he was Hawaiian. He came out an said, "OK, who out here has Keiki??!!" We laughed and spent the time talking story. I'd really come up with great Hawaiian names for the rest of the litter, and we wound up keeping the pup with the least original name, but it's still been fun to have a dog with a Hawaiian name and history (her mother is Hawaiian).

Wouldn't Wasabi's Beautiful Chihuahua and my Dove make a beautiful couple????

Last edited:
Keiki means child or baby, but is also used to mean any immature offspring -- in other words, it can mean a human baby, a puppy or kitten --- or even a seedling in a garden shop. So in Hawaii it would be the equivalent of naming your dog "puppy" or "baby"; hardly an inspired choice (what's the matter with me, no imagination?). But here on the mainland it's kind of a fun name. By the way it is pronounced KAY-KEE; or perhaps even KAY EEE KEE. Here everyone says KEEKEE and wonders why she won't answer!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, Wasabi, it has been a few years (like a decade!!!)

Doive has been spayed now for 7 years..The breeded insisted because her front teeth are off, not show quality anymore...that is why she was let out to be adopted..he parents etc. have a looong line of Champions. ( that doesn't make me love her any more..my teeth are off too!):LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom