Going to Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellyrn

Assistant Cook
I'm heading to Ireland at the end of July. (Hurray!) I'll be staying a week in Wexford Co. (Looking for ancestors) then I'll spend two weeks visiting as much of the rest of the country as possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on places to stay, restaurants, pubs, foods to try, things to see, etc. etc. etc.?

And talking about food. . .what is black pudding anyway?

Sounds like a fun trip! My father recently went to a VERY extended family reunion, and we discovered that my family has a very strong Irish background. Apparently, our family still "owns" an estate somewhere in Ireland, with a castle and everything! Apparently we used to be some sort of nobility. ( go figure!) I've been interested in traveling there since I learned this, and I'd love to hear about your experience when you get back. Have a fun trip!

Thank you! I've wanted to travel to Ireland for as long as I can remember. We used to hear all kinds of stories about my family being nobility. Turns out though that instead of nobility, my ancestors were actually just filled with blarney. . . farmers and farriers they were. (I'm working on my Irish accent.)

Have a spare inch in your suitcase? Well I think the inch would be what's left over for your clothes, but hey you could buy new Irish clothing. I envy you and your trip. Would love to see Ireland. Take lots of pictures and write down your experiences where you can share the tales with us. I doubt I am the only one who would love to hear about your adventures. :)

i wish i was going with ya mellyrn.

been missin the old sod, so i have.
sure an' you'll be having a great time in wexford. i have good friends in dublin that just went there on holiday a few weeks ago. i'll give them a call and see what they recommend.

do you know what county your ancesters came from? mine are from cavan. mayo, and more recently leitrim. if you get a chance, try to get up the west coast to the town of westport. it's a little touristy, even for irish standards, but sometimes that's just what you're looking for. great little pubs, good restaurants featuring mostly french influenced fare, lots of sightseeing.

oh, and black pudding is delicious. wait 'till you have a full irish breakfast. you'll usually end up skipping lunch those days...
pm me with some of your trip info, and i'll have my friends do some scouting for you.

Thanks, buckytom. Your Irish accent is so much better than mine! Think I'll need to go to my local Irish pub to brush up. I read about that full irish breakfast. How you can fit that much food on one plate is beyond me. I'm still wondering what black pudding is though. What is it made of? Or should I ask? Of course, I'll try it no matter what. I've traveled before and eaten a number of interesting foods. I figure if I can swallow whale blubber, I can handle most things. (As long as its not crawling. No Fear Factor for me!!!!!!!!)

Did you click on the link Middie gave you?
That's why I gave you the "ummm, ewww"....
it sounds kind of...well, let's say I'd rather eat paper.

Bucky! You goof. Of course not...I'd want the off white stuff with the turquoise lines and the dotted line through the center. No doubt the kind that will be all over your refrigerator in another 3-4 years!

Okay. . . . maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I click on the link I get 50 things to eat before you die. I'm confused. . . which is not necessarily an unusual thing.

"Oooooh," she says in a soft whisper as comprehension finally sinks in.

workin the midnight shift jkath. it's ot. been working this shift for ot since '95. 10 years of 6 days a week (except vacations). thank god for the internet...:cool:

oooooooooooh! You're doing some covert action, eh?:cool:

I won't tell your boss...........So long as you send me some buffalo dip....and some proscuito-wrapped cantaloupe...and a beer.

Back
Top Bottom