Good info for Dog owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My Katie-dog had tummy trouble the other day. Her belly kept rumbling and she was really lathargic. She must've gone outside and eaten grass 5 times, with no luck of throwing up whatever she must've eaten (I'm guessing a moth or cricket).
Anyway, after 12 hours of it not getting better, I called the vet. They said to boil some chicken and serve it with plain white rice.
So, here I am, cooking for my dog.....
She ate it (with gusto, as she only gets dry food) and within 20 minutes, she was back to her bouncy-like-tigger self.
...Just some info that's good to know...

jkath Ihave done that 3 time already with my golden retrievers. Can't believe it works, huh?

My vet told me the same thing about white rice, and it does work for upset stomachs. I didnt know the same was true with chicken, but my dog loves chicken anyway :LOL:

Do you have bunnies in the neighbourhood jkath? Our dog likes to "sample" their pellets, and they make her VERY sick. Same treatment here. Good thought posting it.

Our vet had us cook ground beef with white rice for our dog. When she got older, it was about all she could eat.

:) Barbara

White rice is good if they have "the runs" just like it is for us...Chicken can cause gas. Maybe he thought the dogs would eat if if it had flavor in it. Dove loves rice..she always gets some covered in water when we have it.
Marge

I thank you, Koapaka thanks you. I also give him some Kaopectate on the advice of my vet, and it works very well.

Dove, my lovely.......
img_88003_0_8c423bf094765f3bc5b9fb2918e13fbb.gif
Koapaka

We had to cook chicken and rice for several months after our little Min Pin was bitten by a rattlesnake while we were on vacation in NC a couple of years ago. It was more of a spit than a real bite, but Grommit inhaled and swallowed the venom and it burned his esophagus and stomach. So we had a slurry from the vet that we had to give him and then feed him chicken and rice. He's just fine now, but it was touch and go for quite some time.

BC

Poor, Grommit. Happy to hear he is fine. A rattlesnake, huh? I am so happy we do not have snakes here.

I told my dad after I bought him a dog (Australian Shepard) about 7 years ago. (turns out he love the dog more than me :LOL: )
that to feed him rice with cooked ground beef at LEAST once a week. Its inexpensive and VERY good for the dog. He now mixes rice with a variety of meats..... livers..... etc.
:arrow: AND since I have cats I wanted to find the BEST FOOD POSSIBLE for my 2 little buddies. I literay did a minumum of TEN hours in finding out the answer. 8) I have become a dog and cat food expert!! LOL! :LOL: :LOL:

Well the conclusion is.... the very BEST DOG & CAT FOOD IS: (drum roll) http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/ Dick Van Pattens: Natural Balance

Who would have though Dick Van Patten has the best animal food??!!! :LOL: :LOL:
As a BONUS this is generally 10% LESS than Eukanuba (sp?) and others.

So, did I see results??!! YOU BET! :shock: My cats eye color changed to a deeper green and the fur became much softer and didnt shed as much.

And this will be more of a shocker..... if you want pet food that is EQUAL to Eukanuba but at about HALF the cost..... Wal-Marts own brand. I forgot the name..... I DONT think it actually says 'walmart brand' on the package. But the packaging is a silver foil bag with one solid color printing on it.

My dog swallowed a sewing needle when he was about one. I called the vet and then rushed him over. The vet took an xray and it showed the needle in his intestines. The vet said he might have to surgically remove the needle, but wanted to try something first. He put a whole bunch of cotton in a bowl and mixed it with water and canned dog food to make a cottony slurry. Then he had my dog eat it. The cotton surrounded the needle and out it came a few days later!! My dog's vet learned that trick from another vet who had a dog that had swallowed a fish hook.

Back
Top Bottom