"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Around here we don't have to have a permit or anything. We have a huge brush pile in the back yard that we build up through the winter & fall & then we burn it several times spring through fall. I can't wait until we burn it!!

Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
Master Chef

Here are some of the rules and regulations for California. I have more input my next post.

SC ;-)

California Campfire permits are required beginning May 1st of each year until the officially declared end of fire season. Permits are required for charcoal fires, stoves and campfires outside of developed recreation areas (campground or picnic area).

Permits are available free at any Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management or California Department of Forestry Office.

Remember that regulations governing campfires are specific to each National Forest and change with weather conditions and the seasons. Before each visit check with the Forest Service for current campfire restrictions.

Building and Putting Out a Campfire

Clear all flammable material away from the fire for a minimum of five feet in all directions and select a level spot a safe distance away from trees, overhead branches, bushes, dry grass or logs to prevent escape of the fire

Have a shovel available at the campfire site for preparing and extinguishing campfires.

Have a responsible person in attendance at all times. Even a small breeze could quickly cause the fire to spread.

Extinguish campfire with water, using the drown, stir and feel method.

Dooryard Trash Burning

Permits are required beginning May 1st of each year until the officially declared end of fire season, and are available free at your local Forest Service or California Department of Forestry Office.

Burn only during hours specified on the permit, don't burn on windy dry days, keep small 4 foot piles.

Have an adult in attendance at all times, and a shovel and water on site.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

I would recommend anyone that is going to do any burning for a bonfire or other reasons to get a burning permit. Your local fire department can issue them or direct to where you can get one. They will explain all the terms of the permit and where and when you can burn or have a fire. They also will explain the type and size of clearance needed and any other requirements.

In California we have to call the local air quality board to find out if it is a permissive burn day. The CA Dept. of Forestry and Fire Protection may restrict burning due to extreme weather ie windy or dry conditions. That is the same reason the Forest Service restricts campfires in the National Forests.

Please be careful when you have any type of open flame. All it takes is one spark to ruin your favorite vacation spot for yourself and others for many years to come or burn down your house and many others.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Great info, thanks Sierra! I still have a massive pile of branches from the Christmas storm that need to be burned so I may just say EPA be d*****d and light the sucker up. If they show up, I'll try and plead ignorance.

BTW, my family and I were in Yellowstone during the summer of '88 and I have a bunch of pictures of the park burning, if you're interested.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Wow, Damp. Can't imagine a BONFIRE, living in so. california. Everything is so dry, there are strict rules about even smoking a cig in our beautiful forrest/parks areas. So much land has been ravaged by fire here. When the heavy rains come, we are faced with mudslides, earthquakes, losing homes & much devastation. Perhaps the terraine & location might dictate the rules of one's environment. High fire warnings? are handed out by park rangers often when entering campsites/forrest areas. We are very careful. There were so many breathtaking, lush areas, that were destroyed. I miss all the great natural beauty of camptsites & waterfalls, that are probably now gone. Just me, but, I would never miss or experienced a big blazing fire.

I'd be happy to cook on a provided grill & not worry about the people who destroy our land.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I understand the stiff fire resctrictions in Cali, Mish. Ohio is a much different world when it comes to fire. Forest fires just don't happen here. The weather here is such that 99% of the time we can light a huge bonfire and have no worries, especially where I live. My property is part of a large, natural catch basin (actually an ancient lake bed) that collects run-off from the neighboring fields. It's ALWAYS wet here! I guess it's a trade off. I'd trade bonfires for the Southern California weather and beaches! :D

Oh, and the mosquito problem here is down right ridiculous! :roll:
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I'll bring the marshmallows & bug spray. You can bring the suntan lotion. BTW, does that have something to do with your screen name? We used to have a thread re what does your name mean. Anyhew, your local sounds pretty romantic to me.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Great info, thanks Sierra! I still have a massive pile of branches from the Christmas storm that need to be burned so I may just say EPA be d*****d and light the sucker up. If they show up, I'll try and plead ignorance.

BTW, my family and I were in Yellowstone during the summer of '88 and I have a bunch of pictures of the park burning, if you're interested.
DC, I would be interested in your pictures of the Yellowstone Fires. My brother went to Yellowstone as his first major fire assignment. He was just out of high school in '88 and joined a fire crew for the summer. The Tahoe Hotshots were down a crewmember and they asked him to join them. Little did he know that he was going to get the experience of his life.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #19
Head Chef

Well just another way for the goverment to run the lives of tax payers. Have the bon fire, your not burning trash, your burning wood. If you live with in the city limits then you will have a problem with their laws as well. usually can't burn certin times hten. We live in the city limits and we have bon fires all the time.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Around here we don't have to have a permit or anything. We have a huge brush pile in the back yard that we build up through the winter & fall & then we burn it several times spring through fall. I can't wait until we burn it!!

grrrrrr, i wish everyone that burned leaves would just make a compost pile and use it in their gardens. besides all of the worms you can dig out of it for fishing, it is great fertilizer, and the air doesn't need any extra pollution. i know it's fun to burn things , but leaves are so good in compost that it seems a waste.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.

« Time | I'm Mad... »