"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

help! Need your advice!

I need advice from you guys -

I have an acquaintance who used to be my dear friend back in school 20+ years ago. But for the last 10 or so years, we just send the typical "card at the holidays" only. But, I get no less than a dozen "fwd" emails from her daily!
I swear, if I read one more of those "a guardian angel is watching over you..." or "send this to 10 friends, including me so I know you read this..." or "I heard about this horrific thing that happened to my friend's cousin's neighbor's aunt, so it must be true..." emails, I'm going to burst!

How can I politely ask her not to constantly fwd me without hurting any feelings?

Old 04-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

jkath,

Depending on how sensitive she is, that may not be possible. But give it a try anyway. Just let her know that you would love getting "newsy" emails from her, but that your email fills up fast and you don't have time to read all the forwards. Let her know (I'm sure it's the truth) that you receive so many of those kinds of things that you just don't have time to read all of them.

Barbara

p.s. Sorry I haven't emailed in so long. I haven't forgotten about you!

Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

2 things you could do:

1) Set up a free yahoo email account. Then tell her you love receiving those non news emails from her, but ask her to send them to this new address. And send important ones to your main account. That way she doesn't feel as though your sick of her emails.

2) Set up a mail filter to auto delete messages from her that have specific subject lines or that contain words in the body such as "angel" or "please pass this on" "send this to" etc.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I used to send a friend funny emails, whenever I thought it would make her laugh. When I stopped getting responses from her, I asked if she received it. She said "I get so much junk mail, I must have deleted it." My feelings were hurt. I don't email her any more. P.S. That's one method I wouldn't use.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
... Just let her know that you would love getting "newsy" emails from her, but that your email fills up fast and you don't have time to read all the forwards. Let her know (I'm sure it's the truth) that you receive so many of those kinds of things that you just don't have time to read all of them.

Barbara

p.s. Sorry I haven't emailed in so long. I haven't forgotten about you!
I think I'll try this method - it may work - if not, there's always her Christmas brag letter....

and Barbara, I know you are busy - I've been reading your posts...well, that and your dear hubby's on DC more than you, so I figure he's " -ing" the computer!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

Good luck. When I was on the road for a number of years everyone told me I should be on-line, they loved my letters and would respond "if only" I was on-line. Once I settled down and went on-line, my friends started sending me all the garbage mail (inspirational stories, jokes, political commentary) that they forward to all their closest freinds ... about 100 of them, or something. If you complain about it, you will never hear from them again. I simply collect my email with my finger on the delete key. It's bad because I'm still on a dial-up service, so when someone sends a lot of stuff like that, it takes me forever to see if there is someone out there I really AM corresponding with. What is a huge crack-up, to me, is that people assume I have certain political beliefs that agree with theirs. Once in awhile I'll send a rebuttal to what they sent me, and I get a response something like "gee, don't take it so seriously." So, don't send it to me if you don't want me to read and respond. Again, you may never hear from them again if you do that, so it's up to you. Tolerate it and hope for the best, or comment it on it and possibly ruin a relationship that works otherwise. There really isn't an in-between.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM   #7
Master Chef

I've polietly told friends that I enjoy receiving chit chat emails and rather not receive those types that are forwarded on as I don't read them and just delete them. To no avail I still receive them so instead of rehashing the whole thing I just delete them. If they ask if I received one of those I just remind them that I'd perfer personal emails.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Master Chef

Oh I should note that if it is something someone specifically says has some meaning that pertains to something I'm going through or they thought of me when they read it i do read those.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
I have an acquaintance who used to be my dear friend back in school 20+ years ago.

Hey! I thought you were only 21!!
Old 04-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I think I'll try this method - it may work - if not, there's always her Christmas brag letter....

and Barbara, I know you are busy - I've been reading your posts...well, that and your dear hubby's on DC more than you, so I figure he's " -ing" the computer!
Fortunately we each have our own computer. I would go nuts waiting for him to finish checking on the Cubs and eBay! Plus he posts from work. The economy is pretty bad here, and no one is buying, so he has lots of time to check DC out! I'm actually about to have less time--finally going for my Master's Degree.

Barbara