Help Starting A New Business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK DC people, I need your help. I am interested in opening my own business, but I have zero business sense and have no idea where to even start. I am currently looking for classes to take, but aside from that what else should I be doing?

The store I want to open would sell premade foods kept in a fridge or freezer. I would sell things like soups, stews, lasagna, and other things that freeze well. I would also have a counter to make a limited number of sandwiches just during lunchtime. The idea would be for people to come in on their way home from work or on their lunch break to get dinner for that night.

OK guys, give me your suggestions and experiences with opening a business. I need all the help I can get. TIA!

GB, the best place to start is www.score.org. It's a council of small business owners that provide information and training--for free--for people interested in starting their own business. Around here they have classes several times a month in proposal writing, financing, etc, as well as one-on-one counseling with retired small business owners. I've heard it's a wonderful resource.

Good luck!

GB, also try to find a website for your city. A lot of times they will have free seminars for people interested in starting a business. Also check your local Chamber of Commerce. This type of info will be specific to where you live. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

I remember seeing something on the Food Network awhile back about a guy who started a soup and sandwich counter in the train station in Boston. It was one of those started in his house and has a big off-site kitchen type of success stories. But it's close to you so maybe you could find a way to have an informational interview with his company.

GB:

Also check with your board of health. They have regs about preparing food in a home kitchen for sale to the public (if that's what you're going to do).

Also, be prepared to handle to financial side of the business. That can kill you even if the basic idea is a great one.

BTW, as a currently unemployed finance type, I'd be willing to help you answer some questions.

Let me know when you open and I'll be happy to be your first customer!

Andy M.

Thanks everyone!

Andy I happen to be very close friends with someone on the board of health (not in my town, but in my parents town). He loves to talk so I am sure I can hit him up for some info!

gb, I've worked in several places like that and at one time was going to open my own. It's tons of work - are ya ready?! - but very rewarding, too.

Some things in addition to those already mentioned, are -

keep it simple, at least at the beginning; your enthusiatic customers are going to say, why don't you do this - or that - but you'll have to evaluate each one for it's merits and how it fits into your 'scheme'. IE, if you're doing a simple soup and sammy type menu, and someone says 'gee, it'd be great if you made your own ice cream'; sure, sounds like a great idea, and a real 'hook' to get folks in, but look at the extra costs, etc.

Visit as many like places as you can; talk with the owners, find out their joys and heartaches.

Talk with a food business consultant; I found one through the folks who do our accounting; their advice is invaluable, and they can guide you through a lot of pitfalls, even tho it costs you money.

Don't - EVER - EVER - buy equipment based on what the sales rep is telling you. Case in point - I was Kitchen Manager for a new place opening up, mainly burgers/sammies/pizzas (premade dough - yuck)/salad kind of place - BUT - they were opening for breakfast too, and the (@)#(*&$#)(*& sales rep told the owner we could toast our bread and bagels in the pizza ovens!!:wacko:

I would love to shoot the breeze w/you on this - if you're up for it, PM me and I'll phone ya!

Thank Marm, this is some fantastic advice! I just may take you up on that phone call down the road!

Hey GB, a guy I work with and I have thought about starting a catering business (country-style, hoe downs and what not). I really have no idea about running a business either but the most frustrating part so far has been trying to contact the Licking County Board of Health. I think the guy who works the Township I'm in doesn't exist because he's never in his office and I've left two messages for him but he's never called back. GRRR!!! :angry:

As a person who has no desire whatsoever to own my own business, I really DO want to chime in here. I've watched people who insist on "being their own boss" and I get a little crazy that they don't know some obvious facts:

In a small business, every one who walks through the door is your boss, so forget thinking that you have no boss.

Forget thinking that you don't have to be nice to people you might not like. Refer to above.

Forget thinking that you don't have to do stuff you don't want to do. April 14th comes around every year, and if you're in your own business because you don't want to do paperwork, then get over it. As it sometimes says on the roll of toilet paper, the job isn't done until you finish the paperwork.

Forget thinking that you can hire relatives at less than minimum wage to get stuff ... like paperwork and secretarial and clerical and waiter work done. Who are you kidding? They need to put food on their table, too, and they want to have social security some day, and probably will need to go to the doctor, dentist, etc, just like you do.

Every business has dozens of aspects that YOU are going to be responsible for, and you simply cannot chose just not to do them. There is nothing worse that going into a small business and being met by someone with a sour disposition, who can't quite figure out the bill, etc. You have to be ready for all jobs that are entailed, and if you don't feel like smiling today, well, too bad, you have to and be nice. If your spouse or child our cousin doesn't want to do the paperwork, guess who does it? If your security alarm system goes off at 3 a.m., YOU get to go out, and when it happens often enough, in some places, you pay the police force (yes, even if a semi thumping by sets it off). Being your own boss means a lot of responsibility, and you can't say someone else was supposed to do it, because it is your baby. That's why so many small businesses fail.

How exciting GB!!! Great advice here & from PA re score.

Check your local Sunday paper & community college re classes/seminars on starting your own business. Took a one-time Sat. afternoon class/seminar at a community college & took home a wealth of info...everything including sample forms for the bank, tax questions, how-tos, score phone #s(among others)...bundles of stuff & listened to a pro talk about their first-hand experiences. Adult students also shared their experiences & asked questions.

Community college also had a career planning class, that helped identify your strong points & determine if being your own boss is right for you. The library or bookstore is another great resource. (I bought loads of books & read, read, read.)

I wish you every success, GB. Please let us know how it all turns out. Keep us "posted.":)

GB

Take the train to South Station. They have a place just like you describe there. See what they sell and how busy it is at 5pm.

Thanks everybody. You have all given such great advice as usual!

Jenny I will have to check out South Station. There is actually a place in Framingham (Gerard Farms) that I am sort of modeling after. I would do some things different than them, but some things the same.

My brother just started a new job in town on Yesterday and I think he is taking the train to South Station. Maybe I will ask him to do some looking for me :)

Wanted to share this story.

There was a very small Italian deli near me & the studios where I worked, that sold, well, Italian deli. Story has it, one day the owner started making subs for his son & selling them on the side to his friends. These were not your uggh sub-way kinda of subs - they were made on fresh baked Italian rolls/bread, i.e. a whole can of white tuna, Italian seasonings, parmesan, etc.

In time, people from the studio (stars, personnel, & we neighborhood folks) were lining up at lunchtime for a variety of his subs. He had to hire a helper. What used to be a quiet little shop turned into a booming business. He sold the little shop, bought a bigger place, just selling the subs, & prices went up a bit. The quality never diminished, but somehow (for me), it was never the same.

When the weekend rolled around, if I was going on a picnic, or just wanted some good chow, I'd go to his shop & take out several of the subs, along with the Italian salads, sodas (a new addition) & lasagna? new dishes were added as time went on...& bring all my friends.

Perhaps location is important too. Guess you just never know, when a small idea can take off running.:)

What a cool story Mish! And you now have me hankering a real Italian sub. There is an Italian market in my parents town about half an hour away. In the back is a sandwich counter that unless you know it is there you would never see. They make the most amazing sandwiches. I think I might need to take a trip there real soon :)

It's funny, GB - don't think anyone knew he was around either for many years, (very small neighborhood shop - probably not paying much for the space). Again, they were NOT your average subs slathered in mayo, & fancy shmancy pick a soggy topping - we're talking THE BEST wholesome ingredients. Then, of course, I had to pick up some Italian Olives, cold mac or potato salad...on and on.

The selection of real Italian subs grew & grew, i.e. steak 'n peppers, meatballs & parmesan, ham n provalone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions - if you want, etc. The Italian cold cut sam was to die for -- about 4 different Italian cold cuts & Italian cheeses, all of them sprinkled with his own olive oil?mixture.

He was also, the nicest man, you'd ever want to meet. Now I'm hankering for a sub too :LOL: BTW, great to take to the beach too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom