how do you like to unwind & relax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norgeskog said:
MJ you have a wierd sense of humor, been eating too much lutefisk lately, or fiskebollers?????

Not enough lutefisk Norgeskog!

aussie girl said:
A walk in the country on a warm day, listening to the birds and soaking up the 'blueness' of the sky.

Say, about 3 glasses of red, with Norah Jones playing quietly.

Saturday night, nothing on TV, in bed early, chapter 3 of my favourite novel and all night to finish it. :D

aussie girl, you are after my own heart. I can feel the tension in my neck and shoulders disappearing now.

nicole said:
That would be very scary :shock:

Not at all. The glide ratio is 16:1 and the airstrip isn't that far away. Maintaining a leisurely pace of 50 - 60 knots soaring is easy. Any updrafts can be used and staying aloft is oh so easy. (For every 1000ft above ground level we can travel about 5 miles when gliding)

Having the fan spinning on the front only creates pollution, so shutting it down or to idle reduces exhaust gases emissions. Unlike Cessnas, Pipers etc that have a glide ratio comparable to a rock (say 5:1), our plane is designed to glide.

Anyway, when in the circuit area, it is essential to reduce power to minimum and glide in, otherwise I can't land. She's a slippery little plane & good for gliding. In Europe and US our plane is used as a glider tug, i.e. tows gliders to altitude before release.

Mind you, if the wings fall off :oops: , that's another matter. :LOL:

I'd never intentionally put myself or those on the ground in danger. It really is great fun, without showing off.

Last edited:
brooksy, what's your stall speed? must be very low, about 40? there's nothing more fun than climbing up to 5000 feet or so, throttle back, and let the nose drop in a stall. you find out your passengers' religions very fast when the stall alarm horn starts to wail, then they get the nice view of the ground as weightlessness lifts them out of the seat.

Humble apologies for my tardiness Bucky.

Stall speed 35 knots in landing configuration & 37 clean. If I'm lucky I can hold on rudder to about 30, for reverse flying in strong winds, but not too often.

No I never ever do that to anyone, not without warning anyway. If they relieve themselves in any way, I have to clean up :D. They are too close and it is too easy for them to get their hands around my neck as well.

I certainly do stall it, but only with their express permission. It's pretty lazy though, doesn't drop a wing or anything. Even full flap full power, the snap is pretty easy, induced wingstall is easily overcome because it have plenty of rudder, unless you allow the spin to develop - now that's fun, but only solo or with CFI, never with a novice.

I like people to enjoy themselves in our plane. Made the mistake of 'divebombing' a mate's homestead one day with a trainee pilot onboard, his eyes were still like dinnerplates when we returned to the airstrip. I got a good dressing down by the CFI too for scaring the heck out of him. :oops:

yeah, instructors tend to be stuffed shirts, ya know, undies a little too tight.

do you have a transponder, can you go into controlled airspace? i've always wanted to buzz nyc, but you'll get shot down these days, post 9/11, without one. and a reasonable flight plan.

LOL Bucky........

Nah, the instructors are all (generally) pretty good, but after all they are management. I only do what I have to to make people laugh & enjoy themselves (safely). Joe Average really doesn't like being tipped upsidedown or doing stalls on their first flight, so Brooksy's a good fella, but I do ensure they enjoy their flight - steep turns etc, canyon turns etc. I belong to the 3F Club = Flying For Fun
CFIs & Examiners are as bent as me, plus I don't need instructors now, not until I do my formation flying endorsement anyway. That'll be a little way down the track. Everybody needs to do their BFRs, & instructors can't do them ,so they stay out our aircraft.

No need to go into controlled airspace, it is no fun at all unless you like to listen to stressed out 'Big Iron pilots' stressing out over light aircraft in their area or regional ATC's moaning & groaning about RPT & unscheduled arrivals & departures. Apart from that, there is no action up there. Around here you can fly around @ 5000ft asl & not come close to hitting anything (er, 1 mountain in a 500 mile radius, 2 in an 800 mile rad). Transponders only invite touble. Our little plane doesn't throw a recognizable contact radar image (being composite), let alone a txpdr image. If they can't see ya, thay can't hit ya.:LOL::LOL:

That is way minimum power gliding is sooo cooool. Not as quiet as a true soarer, but if things get a bit crook, I pan always move the 'noise handle' and away we go @ 130knots if necessary. Eco cruise is 100knots @ 10 - 11 litres per hour (2.6 - 2.9 us gal). Not interested in getting anywhere fast or stressed, although a 9 hour road trip to Brizzy turns into a 3.5hr jaunt in the aeroplane AND more landing options, including a rest stop halfway.

Um, whilst on the flying issue.

"Bucky" said:
Sure if I had the wings of a swallow I would travel far over the sea
Then a rocky old road I would follow to a spot that is heaven to me

I saw that swallow flying by,
He dropped a message from the sky.
As I wiped it from my eye,
I thanked the Lord that cows don't fly.....

:LOL:

Relaxing...I like to drink an iced Coke and curl up to watch Fox News or the Food Network, or if I have some energy left, I whip out the fiddle and play my favorite stuff (I love exercises and etudes...go figure), or watch my violin video, The Art of Violin, for the 100th time. I like to putter in the greenhouse, too, and plant new things. Something definitely not relaxing? Doing new graphics for new pages on the website. I'm too anal, and it tires out my eyeballs...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom