How has the internet changed things for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
At 25 I know Im by far one of the youngest on the board so I think this is an interesting question for all the people who somehow ended up here, on the internet, on a cooking forum.

Any way’s:

Music: In Mexico there was 3 way's you would encounter new bands if you where into the underground "true metal" scene. Those where headbangers on "latin mtv" which showed like at 2 am and had no sponsors. Great show... I remember Marlyin manson being on the show once thanking his latin fans because his band just couldent break into the mainstream in the US. Hehehe... a few month's latter he was the biggest thing ever. But back to "true metal" we got to see videos by dream theater, iron maiden, morbid angel and even some black metal like At the gates. It was a sad day when headbangers finally went off the air. Also right before headbangers would come on we had "ozono" which was devoted to trip hop, industrial and alternative electronica which was sweet... lot's of bjork, tricky, massive attack, portishead, photek, NIN, skinny puppy, prodigy, etc.

The second way we would get stuff was "a tape of a tape of a tape". I remember for example a samael tape that was soo faded to copies that you could barely make out the music... but beneath the static and junk you heard something awesome. Lastly there was the scene... you belonged to the metal scene and you knew people from high school to college who all got together for metal show's in vacant lots or at cheap bars. Also back then the origin of a band was a huge deal... lot's of people listened to "European bands" while now aday's scenes are as specific as towns... like the "Gothemburg" metal scene. Lastly you didn’t hear news until 2 years latter... for example that your favorite band had broken up or released a side project.

------------------------

Dating: if you wanted to pick up cute girls that you knew where smart enough to not annoy you well you had to join activities, like bands for example or in my case literary circles. I always kept an eye out for the girls who read Gabriel Garcia Marquez, since his books are really kinky.

-------------------------

Video games: Oh yeah... the doom demo on 5 3 1/2 disks... carmen sandiego on a huge 5 and whatever inch disk... those where the days.

-------------------------

People wrote letters! When I was a kid I traded mazes I drew for drawings of cartoon characters with a pen pall. Latter when a friend of mine had to flee the country with his mom cuz his dad got out of jail we traded notebook thick letters every few months or so that every one got to read... then every one would write a 4 page letter (give or take) and we would send him a package back. Even when the internet started we still wrote... me and a girl I liked sent packages back and forth and I traded cd's and tape's with metal heads from places like Australia, Japan and England.

--------------------------

One last one: no widespread memes. You went to a new town... it was a new world. The otakus where different, the metal heads where different, the "ethnopunks" where different... it was always a cool and alien experience. For example when I was in the south of mexico I met these "colonial goths" who wore mixes of old spanish and indigenous clothing (looking like they where from 300 years ago) with makeup... really interesting.

* Ethnopunk: a movement that was huge in latin america in the earlier 90's... mixes of indigenous and traditional music with a punk mentality. You would see people wearing beads, handmade accesories... kinda like hippies but cooler of course... and they would play with traditional instruments too but really fast, you could mosh to it.

I love the internet because it has allowed me to explore the various interests and hobbies that I have, take this place for example. I'm forever trying to educate myself and the internet is a superb tool for that. The only problem is cutting through the BS. What's factual and what's not. I'm also a news junkie and I regularly read news sites from around the world just about every day.

Moving from a larger area (San Diego County, California) to a town of 3,000 in South Carolina, the internet has kept me connected to the world.

I get to talk to people all over the world. I met my husband online. My daughter (almost 3,000 miles away) and I talk and play games over the internet. Through forums such as this, I can get to know lots of people.

I am starting classes in 3 days to begin working on my Master's Degree, all online.

If I need information about anything I just type in a few words and have tons of information right in front of me.

I earn small amounts of money and prizes by doing online surveys. I buy and sell on eBay. I can shop for anything while sitting in the comfort of my living room.

I have had the opportunity to help people online, some in a small way and others in a larger way.

:) Barbara

Last edited:
I have to agree with Barbara, except I moved from a large city to a town of 125,00 folks. Not exactly small, but smaller than I'm used to.

I first got on the internet chasing after recipes. Then I started getting into Metal Detecting, and found several websites that deal with that. The past several years, I've been pursuing online historical research (to help with my addiction to Metal Detecting).

Now, I'm doing all of this, and more. If I can't get onto the internet every 12 hours or so, even for just long enough to check my email, I start to go into withdrawl.

I dont buy magazines anymore.
9.gif

it helps me save money on postage stamps. j/k.

how can it not change your life? you have the whole world at your fingertips.

barbara... very cool. good luck on that !

It has changed my life in many ways. Just the other day I was talking about this with my wife.

We bought our daughter a mobile for her crib. When you wind it up it plays the Winnie The Pooh song. Well we both knew the tunes, but had no idea what the words were. We made up our own words to sing to her, but it was driving us crazy that we did not know the real words. I jumped on Google and 10 seconds later we had our answer. That started a discussion about what our parents would have had to do when we were kids to find the same info. It would have been much much harder and require a trip to the library and some research I bet.

The internet has also changed my life in regards to all my hobbies. I like to go mountain biking. The internet makes it so easy to find new trails in my area. It also makes it simple to get directions to those trails.

For my cooking hobby, well the uses are obvious to all of you.

My photography hobby benefits greatly from the internet. I am able to post all my pictures and everyone who wants to see them has access right away. It also benefits all my friends who will never have to sit through me showing carousel after carousel of slides when they come over to visit because I can just send them a link to my site and they can view pictures if they want to.

I could go on and on. I think the internet is the most important "invention" in a very very long time.

Last edited:
Sting has a song called "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" one line is (I never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse) I think ultimately it will be a curse.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's changed my life, but it is interesting to connect with people internationally which is something I DID do when my husband was in the military, and missed a lot when he retired. I don't use the internet to its fullest capacity because of impatience (for example, shopping is much easier just using the catalog and a stamp than the internet, I like to sit back and consider a purchase for awhile). As someone who spent her career such as it was sitting at a desk, sitting here isn't 'fun', while sitting in my chair writing, reading, ordering, is relaxation. I sit at the desk and feel like I'm here to do a job. If it wasn't for the fact that no one communicates anyway else, I might not use the internet very much -- when I go to look something up I get so much garbage I don't want and have to sift through that it is more fun to go to the library.

I have "met" friends that I talk with often on chat. One friend is from England, one in St. Louis, and one is in Virginia.

I stay in contact with relatives from all over the country.

I buy items not available locally on Ebay at great prices.

I have a virtual encyclopedia at my fingertips.

I have this community, and others I love. What more can I ask?

I thought of a few others...My grandfather was able to reconnect with an Army buddy from the Korean war over Instant Message and was able to rekindle a long lost friendship.

Also with my grandparents, we bought them a webcam and got one ourselves. Now we can do a video chat so they can see their first great grandchild. They live for those video chats now :)

I love the internet and can not imagine life without it. e-mail is a great way to keep in touch with my family and friends that don't live here.

A world of information is at our fingertips. Great for recipes or images needed for a drawing.

Lugaro, I was interested to read about your music tastes. My children would like you! Two of them share your taste in music. Are you familiar with the band Apocalyptica? If not, it is a Finnish band that play heavy metal using cellos. We saw them a few weeks ago here in Holland. It was an incredible show!

Strange but true.

For those of you that have never heard of them, you can now use the internet to look them up! Isn't life grand?

Pam

Pam Leavy said:
Lugaro, I was interested to read about your music tastes. My children would like you! Two of them share your taste in music. Are you familiar with the band Apocalyptica? If not, it is a Finnish band that play heavy metal using cellos. We saw them a few weeks ago here in Holland. It was an incredible show!

Very nice band, yeah! I was a little iffy about their album of nothing but metallica covers but the more original material these guy's do the more I like them... I almost got to see them live in Mexico but I dont think they play the US. Also they acompany Sebnem Ferah (a turkish pop singer I like) on a track which is one of those weird "how did these people get together" moments.

So glad you have heard of them! Do see them if you have a chance. They have been doing some interesting things with vocalists. There is also a song with a German woman that has an very unusual voice. I will ask my son what her name is. I will ask him if he is familiar with Sebnem Ferah.

Pam

Back
Top Bottom