"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Cook

Sting has a song called "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" one line is (I never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse) I think ultimately it will be a curse.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Master Chef

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's changed my life, but it is interesting to connect with people internationally which is something I DID do when my husband was in the military, and missed a lot when he retired. I don't use the internet to its fullest capacity because of impatience (for example, shopping is much easier just using the catalog and a stamp than the internet, I like to sit back and consider a purchase for awhile). As someone who spent her career such as it was sitting at a desk, sitting here isn't 'fun', while sitting in my chair writing, reading, ordering, is relaxation. I sit at the desk and feel like I'm here to do a job. If it wasn't for the fact that no one communicates anyway else, I might not use the internet very much -- when I go to look something up I get so much garbage I don't want and have to sift through that it is more fun to go to the library.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #13

I have "met" friends that I talk with often on chat. One friend is from England, one in St. Louis, and one is in Virginia.

I stay in contact with relatives from all over the country.

I buy items not available locally on Ebay at great prices.

I have a virtual encyclopedia at my fingertips.

I have this community, and others I love. What more can I ask?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I thought of a few others...My grandfather was able to reconnect with an Army buddy from the Korean war over Instant Message and was able to rekindle a long lost friendship.

Also with my grandparents, we bought them a webcam and got one ourselves. Now we can do a video chat so they can see their first great grandchild. They live for those video chats now
Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I love the internet and can not imagine life without it. e-mail is a great way to keep in touch with my family and friends that don't live here.

A world of information is at our fingertips. Great for recipes or images needed for a drawing.

Lugaro, I was interested to read about your music tastes. My children would like you! Two of them share your taste in music. Are you familiar with the band Apocalyptica? If not, it is a Finnish band that play heavy metal using cellos. We saw them a few weeks ago here in Holland. It was an incredible show!

Strange but true.

For those of you that have never heard of them, you can now use the internet to look them up! Isn't life grand?

Pam
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Leavy

Lugaro, I was interested to read about your music tastes. My children would like you! Two of them share your taste in music. Are you familiar with the band Apocalyptica? If not, it is a Finnish band that play heavy metal using cellos. We saw them a few weeks ago here in Holland. It was an incredible show!
Very nice band, yeah! I was a little iffy about their album of nothing but metallica covers but the more original material these guy's do the more I like them... I almost got to see them live in Mexico but I dont think they play the US. Also they acompany Sebnem Ferah (a turkish pop singer I like) on a track which is one of those weird "how did these people get together" moments.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:08 AM   #17
Senior Cook

So glad you have heard of them! Do see them if you have a chance. They have been doing some interesting things with vocalists. There is also a song with a German woman that has an very unusual voice. I will ask my son what her name is. I will ask him if he is familiar with Sebnem Ferah.

Pam