"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #21
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Feeling some better today,,very tired and weak. I woke up yesterday morning and ran for the bathroom. Spent all day with a bucket at my feet. Even a sip of water wouldn't stay down. This lasted about 14 hours. The doctor insisted that I intake clear liquids..ha! A teaspoon in and 2 qts. out.
Glad to hear some improvement, Dove. Try a sip of room temperature coke or coke syrup, or warm ginger tea. Ginger is is a great tummy settler. I would make it for you, but have no way to get it to you.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #22
DC Grandma

you could bring it... 8) I was taking a sip of ginger ale..can't have coke unless it's sugar free.
Thanks for the offer Norge.
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
you could bring it... 8) I was taking a sip of ginger ale..can't have coke unless it's sugar free.
Dove
Persevere Dove. Keep getting all the fluids you can into you. Dehydration only makes you worse.
I know throwing up isn't pleasant, but you need to get those fluids into you anyway you can, otherwise it'll be hospital and a tube in your arm.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Oh dove :( , I hope you get better really soon.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #25
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Dove
ginger ale is always good and will work quite well, especially at room temperature. Do not understand the room temperature thing, but for some reason it works better than when icy.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:39 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've had a great day today.. nothing exciting but, I got everything on my list done! And for me thats a good thing.

I'm just sitting here at the puter now trying to catch up on all the posting you guys did while I was gone. A few more hours ought to do it.

Hope all you that are feeling ill are feeling better very very
soon.!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Like you Wifey, sittin' here at the box catching up on heaps, waiting for DW to return from another shopping expedition, watching the weather close in. Was & still hopeful of going for a fly this afternoon (200 mile round trip)(1147 am).

. :roll: :roll:
Old 03-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
Like you Wifey, sittin' here at the box catching up on heaps, waiting for DW to return from another shopping expedition, watching the weather close in. Was & still hopeful of going for a fly this afternoon (200 mile round trip)(1147 am).

. :roll: :roll:
Do you own your own plane? How neat!
Hubby really wants to learn to fly hilocopters.
I think I'll keep him safe on the ground with me.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Yes, we own our little plane. It's only a small two seater, but we bang along at between 100 & 120 knots. Really cool. 8) 8) Very cheap to run aerobatically stressed, although I don't do aero's, or don't mean to. Took a lot to learn to fly with my 'gammy' legs. A real challenge but I did it. :)

Not too bad a pilot either but still got under 200hrs under my belt.

Flying a helicopter is like balancing a pumpkin on a pea. Not impossible but close to it. We have a couple of chopper pilots locally and they are a 'snooty' lot.

We have the edge on fuel consumption as well. We use on avergae 12 litres an hour or down to 10 or up to 20, depending what we are doing. The best a chopper can do is about 60 lph & their glide on engine failure is horrendous (like a stone). Ours has a 16:1 glide ratio, for every 1,000 feet down we travel 16,000ft along (forward) so it is quite safe. Plenty of time to find a safe landing area. Had to do it once but that was an electrical fault, not a mechanical fault. We had plenty of time to glide to an airstrip with staff on standby just in case. Scary but cool.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
Yes, we own our little plane. It's only a small two seater, but we bang along at between 100 & 120 knots. Really cool. 8) 8) Very cheap to run aerobatically stressed, although I don't do aero's, or don't mean to. Took a lot to learn to fly with my 'gammy' legs. A real challenge but I did it. :)

Not too bad a pilot either but still got under 200hrs under my belt.

Flying a helicopter is like balancing a pumpkin on a pea. Not impossible but close to it. We have a couple of chopper pilots locally and they are a 'snooty' lot.

We have the edge on fuel consumption as well. We use on avergae 12 litres an hour or down to 10 or up to 20, depending what we are doing. The best a chopper can do is about 60 lph & their glide on engine failure is horrendous (like a stone). Ours has a 16:1 glide ratio, for every 1,000 feet down we travel 16,000ft along (forward) so it is quite safe. Plenty of time to find a safe landing area. Had to do it once but that was an electrical fault, not a mechanical fault. We had plenty of time to glide to an airstrip with staff on standby just in case. Scary but cool.
Scary YES.. cool.. I don't think so.
Becareful when you go up today... don't want ya coming down to earth too quickly! Have fun.