"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey
Scary YES.. cool.. I don't think so.
Becareful when you go up today... don't want ya coming down to earth too quickly! Have fun.
Truuuuuuust me.

If the wings don't fall off it's as safe as houses. DW isn't home yet, & we now have total cloud cover with a base of about 3500ft and getting darker & darker. I can see (from our place) about 15 miles & no sign of rain yet but just now there either a rumble of thunder or a truck on the bridge. :) :)

Our plane hasn't got instrumentation onboard to allow for flying in cloud (ifr), so with total cover I'm limited to flying below clouds until a hole can be found.

Not looking promising anyway . There's always tomorrow. That'll get me out of mowing the 'weed crop'

Old 03-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We went to an airshow while in Az. It was at the Marine base. We
were lucky enough to see some pretty amazing planes. ( not to mention some pretty cute Marines! lol) I wish I could remember the name of them all. I know one was one that is used to fuel AIR FORCE ONE while in flight! That was neat. And one flew forward and then stopped and hovered in midair and then went backwards! It was Amazing. :D

Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife1
We went to an airshow while in Az. It was at the Marine base. We
were lucky enough to see some pretty amazing planes. ( not to mention some pretty cute Marines! lol) I wish I could remember the name of them all. I know one was one that is used to fuel AIR FORCE ONE while in flight! That was neat. And one flew forward and then stopped and hovered in midair and then went backwards! It was Amazing. :D
Who's names are you trying to remember the Marines' oe the aeroplanes'?
The Harrier jump jets are amazing & when the US went over to England to see them before they bought them they baffled the poms with 'crazy' questions then amazed them with their antics in the sky. Their only draw back is they used 30% of their fuel load to take off vertically. A short roll A conventional takeoff alleviates this.

When the wind is right we can fly our plane backwards as well, but I don't take DW aloft to do it. We need about 40knots wind aloft which equates to about 20 on ground so it is pretty rough. Our stall speed is 35knots, so pointing into wind we can fly backwards. As my experience grows, I should be able to reduce the stall speed aloft to about 30knots but really good rudder control is required. Generally Tiger Moth pilots revel in this type of flying because their stall speed is a lot lower.