"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Crewsk,

As far as the cups go, could you get ahold of her cups to check how much they hold? I think most regular cups hold about 3/4 cup, but it should be a simple matter of measuring something in them and transferring it to a measuring cup. For the rest of it, you will just have to watch her and write down how much it looks like. Then compare the measurements you have written down with a few other similar recipes to see if they are close. I was very fortunate. When I moved to South Carolina, every few weeks I would ask my mom for a recipe or two that were my favorites. I got most of my favorites before she (unexpectedly) died. When I get back home (no telling how soon that will be--no money), I want to go through her cookbooks and files to find any more. My daughter has found a few of them for me. I wish I could just have all the cookbooks (except for the few that my daughter uses), but my dad is not willing to let go of anything that was my mom's yet, so I haven't even asked.

Barbara

Old 03-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #12

I was selling my baked goods, and if everyone had the recipes, my sales would go down. So I did not share them.

Does that make me a bad girl?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Maybe she secretly aspires to sell her recipe some day? I know I don't give anyone my mom's recipe for bao flour because of that. Though I know it's far fetched, you never know...most other recipes, I'm happy to share. There are just a few that I would like to keep in hopes that one day I can do something with them. Hopefully that doesn't sound too greedy.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Barbara, I can get ahold of her cups to do that. The main problem is now she dosen't cook anymore. I wish I had have had the forethought of asking her to teach me when I was growing up.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I always share recipes... And I always ask for a recipe when I taste something wonderful.
I'm always so surprised when I'm told "no". I just don't understand.

Crewsk.. I have the same trouble with my MIL. She used to be such a good cook. Never measured anything just threw it all together and it'd come out perfect. As she gets older her cooking is starting to suffer. I sure wish I'd paid more attention when she was "one of the best cooks" I'd ever met.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I was selling my baked goods, and if everyone had the recipes, my sales would go down. So I did not share them.

Does that make me a bad girl?
I don't think so, choc--either that or we're both bad! I'll share pretty much any recipe but won't give out my cut-out dough and icing recipes since those are the ones I've been selling some of lately. Once I explain why, people don't seem offended by it.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I don't think so, choc--either that or we're both bad! I'll share pretty much any recipe but won't give out my cut-out dough and icing recipes since those are the ones I've been selling some of lately. Once I explain why, people don't seem offended by it.

Nope.. if you have a good reason such as making a living off of your recipes then it's fine to say NO. It's the everyday cooks that bring a casserol to the neighborhood potluck that I don't understand.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #18

Thanks guys.

I felt real bad at times cause some folks would get sooooo mad! I had some relatives badgering me to death.

I still sell baked goods for the church's sales sometimes. But my recipes will not be lost. I have them on my old cookbook laptop, so if something happens to me, my family can access them.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

when one of my favorite restaurants in nyc was closing a few years ago (due to the passing of the owner, a great guy and good friend), i went there on the last night to bid on some of the knick knacks and other curiosities that they were selling off, and to enjoy one last great meal. at the end of the night, the chef came out to have a few with the remaining regular customers, and we began to chat about a few of his recipes.my favorite dish was the marinated grilled pork chops. over the years, i had hung out with the owner bs-ing about food and life in general, and he had given me several of the secret ingredients in the marinade, but never the whole recipe. i wrote down what i remembered, and tried to make it at home, but never really nailed it.
well, on the last night, after we were all lubed up and laughing, a buddy and i asked the chef for the recipe. he refused to give it out. so, knowing that the chef was retiring (on his inheritance from the owner of the restaurant) instead of going to another restaurant, i offered him a small bribe, or retirement "present", if he would just fill in the gaps of my recipe. steadfast in his loyalty, he refused us again and again. we got up to about 5 or 6 hundred dollars before we realized that he would never give in, so we wished him well (cursing him under our breath ), and gave up.
a few months ago, i ran into an old girlfriend, who was a bartender in the restaurant, and she told me that she knew the recipe, since it contained black rum and sweet sherry, and the chef always came to her to help him make the marinade. we were both in a hurry, so we just promised to get together for a few one night, and she would finally fulfill my culinary curiosity.
now i have a problem; i would almost kill to get this recipe, but i don't think my wife would appreciate me going out for drinks with a beautiful brazillian bartender, even if my intentions were pristine and purely innocent.
i guess i'll just have to wait some more....

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
now i have a problem; i would almost kill to get this recipe, but i don't think my wife would appreciate me going out for drinks with a beautiful brazillian bartender, even if my intentions were pristine and purely innocent.
i guess i'll just have to wait some more....
Easy answer!

Tell your wife you want the recipe from this beautiful lady. Ask her if she will go along with you to the bar, or failing that, pick you up from the bar.