"I do not share my recipes with anyone."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
choc, the 2 of them, even just in proximity, could reach critical mass in split seconds. i think i'd rather live... thanks for the suggestion tho...

Ohhhhhh. I didn't know they knew each other.

I think you had better live without the recipe. A good marriage is worth more than a good meal.

they don't know each other, but women have those extra senses for things like that. it's creepy. and both are hot blooded, so i'm not gonna risk it.

you said it tho, happy wife = happy life...

Well, there is nothing I can do, she won't do it anyway. The heck with her. I'm going to have to experiment my self.

choclatechef said:
I was selling my baked goods, and if everyone had the recipes, my sales would go down. So I did not share them.

Does that make me a bad girl?

That is completelly diffrent thing. She's not selling anything. All together, she's not even from the same town I am. She was visiting and chances of meeting her again are slim to none.

buckytom said:
...i don't think my wife would appreciate me going out for drinks with a beautiful brazillian bartender, even if my intentions were pristine and purely innocent. :angry:
i guess i'll just have to wait some more....

Just bring your wife alone and go get the recipe.

Yep, just take your wife with you...
kiss her and hold her hand a lot while you're there. Make sure she's a major part of
the conversation and all will be well.

crewsk said:
That bugs the hound out of me when people say that! I have a totally diffrent problem though. I can't get my grandma's recipes because she always cooked by memory & never wrote anything down. Now her memory is going & she dosen't cook anymore. She has tried to teach me how to make her biscuits & cornbread but I have trouble following her because very little is measured & I would have to have her drinking cups for the things that are measured.

I had the same problem with my MIL. She never measured anything. However I am the same way. People ask for my recipes and I just write down approximate measures. Please don't ask me for my Stuffed Grape Leaves recipe.:LOL:

My grandmother tried to teach me her cherry pie.

I can bake a cherry pie and it is good, but not like my grandmother's. She didn't measure anything either.

Bucky, have you thought about renewing your Research and Developement into this marinade now that you know two more of the ingredients? Specifically, the Black Run and Sweet Sherry?

BTW, I loved the "critical mass" comment!

Edited to add my 2¢:

I've never had anyone deny me a recipe before, but then, I don't normally ask, either. I just try to recreate it at home as best I can. Somethings I succeed in, some, I don't.

I can also understand not wanting to give out a recipe to something you're selling. However, if I owned a restaurant, and someone called me up wanting the recipe, I might offer them a recipe that was similar, but not exactly the same.

Last edited:
crewsk said:
Barbara, I can get ahold of her cups to do that. The main problem is now she dosen't cook anymore. I wish I had have had the forethought of asking her to teach me when I was growing up.
I guess you will just have to go under hypnosis so that you can go back and retrieve them! LOL What I would do is find recipes that look similar and tweak them until you have something close.

:) Barbara

It seems that someone who is so stingy with their recipes would be stingy about other stuff too! Gawd. It's like people who think that love is a finite thing and they need to dole it out carefully and in small doses so they don't run out. When real people know that the more you love the more you have to give away! It multiplies!!!

Someone asking me for a recipe is flattering! (omg..I can cook!) When I ask someone to share their secrets of what they made, it is the same thing; I admire you and what you cook, please share how you created this.

:heart:
Z

Another thing that gets me is those people that will grudgingly give you the recipe but they either leave something out or change it on purpose. I too, think it is a compliment when someone wants one of my recipes. I also try to give them any tips if necessary for the recipe.

Barbara L said:
I guess you will just have to go under hypnosis so that you can go back and retrieve them! LOL What I would do is find recipes that look similar and tweak them until you have something close.

:) Barbara

My cornbread comes out almost as good as my grandma's, but I can't make biscuits to save my life! I am getting better at it though. I'll have to do some digging & see if I can find any recipes that come close to her's. Thanks!:)

Zereh said:
It seems that someone who is so stingy with their recipes would be stingy about other stuff too! Gawd. It's like people who think that love is a finite thing and they need to dole it out carefully and in small doses so they don't run out. When real people know that the more you love the more you have to give away! It multiplies!!!

that is so cool zereh, very eloquent, thanks!!!!!!

Shunka said:
Another thing that gets me is those people that will grudgingly give you the recipe but they either leave something out or change it on purpose. I too, think it is a compliment when someone wants one of my recipes. I also try to give them any tips if necessary for the recipe.

reminds me of the "everybody loves raymond" episode when marie gives debra a jar of spice to go with a recipe, and she put another label over the jar so debra would put in some weird spice that made it taste really bad.

I'm always eager to share a recipe with someone who asks. I take it as the ultimate compliment to my cooking. :)

Charlie D's story gave us a clue to the candy maker's motivation. She said something about how she had shared recipes in the past and the recipient had ruined them. Perhaps she's afraid her name is being attached to other people's screwups, ruining her reputation. "Well I don't know what went wrong, it's so-and-so's recipe. She must have left something out.":angry:

Life's too short to worry about people like that.

I have been spending a fair amount of my cooking time on recreating some of my mom's recipes. When she was still around, I wasn't interested in learning. Now I appreciate what I missed.:(

I do not understand that, I have no problem sharing my recipes with anyone who wants it, it is flattering when someone askes for a recipe for something you made. Afterall, every thing we make is a variation of a recipe we saw somewhere and remade it to our tastes. I have some original recipes and some from cookbooks, magazines, and DC. CharlieD should suggest to the friend she © her recipe. I knew a lady like that, she made the best cookies oatmeal chocolate chip, she refused to give out the recipe to anyone. Come to find out, it was Hillary Clintons recipe and she was letting everying think it was hers.

Back
Top Bottom