"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question I have the best next door neighbor

My next door neighbor is the best. This winter during the blizzard I was outside shoveling. I had not met him yet. He came over and said "you can't shovel this much snow". He then told me that once he was done snow blowing his driveway that I should come over and take his snow blower. After that he would come over and snow blow us out after ever single storm. We tried to give him gas money, but he refused to take it. We ended up baking him some cookies.

Yesterday I was at the pool store and I bumped into him. He was buying a robotic pool cleaner. When I got home he came over and told me to come over and check it out. He said he spent $900 on it and wants it to get some use so anytime I want I should come over and take it to use on my pool. Talk about a nice guy!

I know he will not accept and money and I got the impression that he just took the cookies to be nice. What else can I do for him? What would be a nice gesture? We will invite him over next time we have a BBQ, but he is hardly ever home. Any suggestions how we can show our appreciation for the best next door neighbor we have ever had?

Old 06-05-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

Get him a gift certificate. You could get him one from the local carwash, coffee house, restaurant, etc. I have given gift certificates many times when I knew the person would not accept money or food. I cannot believe he did not want cookies!! Maybe he is diabetic or has lost weight and is trying to keep it off.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 06-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If he's new to the neighborhood he just trying to make friends. Inviting him for your next cookout is a good idea. Offer to share with him when you can. Just being a good neighbor back is probably all he wants.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Buy him a gift certificate for one of the best restaurants in the area. Since it's not cash and it is something that has already been purchased, it will be harder for him to decline. Straight up money is easier to decline since although it has value, there's no material attachment. It's much easier to turn down say, $200 dollars cash, than it is if someone gave you $200 worth of new clothes.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
Get him a gift certificate. You could get him one from the local carwash, coffee house, restaurant, etc. I have given gift certificates many times when I knew the person would not accept money or food. I cannot believe he did not want cookies!! Maybe he is diabetic or has lost weight and is trying to keep it off.

Beat me to it as I was typing.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks guys. A gift cert is a great idea!

Andy he actually grew up in this house. It was his parents place and he bought it from them.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Also if you can find out his birthday, you could always throw him a birthday grill party.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

he sounds like a great guy, geebs.
making him cookies was a nice gesture. i'm sure he appreciated and enjoyed them.
i would make a special dinner and invite him over. grilled steaks would probably be a good idea. you guys could bond over the grill. men and thier grills! lol.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
how about a fruit basket with a little card?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Could you invite him over for a movie and/or a drink? Maybe he wants company more than a gift.