Inexpensive stocking stuffers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
Any of you looking for inexpensive stocking stuffers might want to check out my post in the Cookware and Accessories section below.

I hate to pop your bubble otter, but there ain;t no such thing anymore. Try a roll of pennies, bubble gum, gummy bears. I heard on the news that the each person would be spending between $800 and $1000 this year. Wishful thinking by the department stores??? I am not spending near that much, not even on myself.

$800-$1000? :shock: Do the stockings have round-trip tickets to somewhere warm in them? I was gonna suggest homemade candy or something. I saw a post about macaroons here somewhere and maybe no-bake cookies?

If the average person is spending between $800 and $1,000, someone is spending an awful lot of money because I am not spending anywhere near that. I don't know many (if any) people who can afford that around here. I guess, if you think about it, Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and the Walton family (WalMart) will probably be spending a lot, so if you figure them on one side of the average and most of the rest of us on the other, it makes sense. LOL

:) Barbara

I'm goofy every year and play Santa. My grandpa used to do that. I guess I have taken over the tradition. I would follow a theme. For all the girls in the family, I bought something similiar and same thing with the guys.. saying "From: Santa." I even get my grandma's cat Bingo and my aunt's dog Abner something. Last year I got all the women a bottle of yummy-smelling body wash all the guys work gloves... but they weren't the same, they all varied either by aroma or color.

As you get a little older, your perceived "needs" become "less", and the "needs" of you children become "more"...and "I guess", by the time you have grandchildren the "outpouring" of cash at Christmas gets pretty heavy...

Donald Trump and Bill Gates are veryu different individuals...Trump is off "marrying" the next starlet/harlot and in our collective faces with "The Apprentice" to show off his alleged "icy" textures as a person...

Bill Gates has built an obscene "mansion" for his family, but is spending a good part of his wealth in educating the third world and providing them with, well, okay" Windows products" to get it done with...and swears his kids will not inherit this massive wealth...

Me?

I'm not hurting regularly, and carefully manage what we have to "put away" until the day we need it...but I am by no means adverse to "tipping the waitress and/or the cook", for a good meal at a restaurant...

And will very "coldly" calculate the costs of our family's Christmas celebrations, and contribute in "like amount" to the Salvation Army's program for the homeless and helpless at Christmas...is we have to "do without" the lobster tails on Christmas Eve as a result, I hope and believe that there may be some individuals and/or families that advance in their pleasure of what more I might give into the program...

If seeing your family, gloriously eating well, and enjoying the company and tradition, albeit at one's own expense, then literally nothing will make you happier than being a "secret Santa" for people you do not know, and the Sally Ann's trooping up to their doors on Christmas Eve with the oh-so needed stocking stuffers, the presents that are aimed at true need, and the dinner...with no regard to race or religion...

Its pretty much a "present" to yourself...made that much more enjoyable if you ever volunteer to go out and assist with the distribution...the "delight" on the parents's faces, that their kids are going to be "absolutely delighted on Christmas Morn" just goes off in your head...

"who should give"?

"Those who can"

Lifter

I think this is a good time to slip in this story of what happened last Christmas Eve. I am a teacher, so I get some time off at Christmas. During my Christmas vacation I help my husband out at his store (jewelry, gold, antiques, coins, etc.), wrapping gifts. Right before closing time on Christmas Eve a little boy, about 10 or 11, came in and asked if my husband would buy his bicycle. James said that he didn't really need one. Then he asked why he wanted to sell his bike. He wanted to sell it so that he could buy his mom a Christmas present. The economy is extremely bad here (plants shutting down right and left) and a lot of people are in pretty dire straits. We have heard of a lot of kids here who will go steal gifts for their families from WalMart, but this little boy was trying to sell his bike to get his mom a gift. James got a few nice little things together (a crystal egg, a little piece of jewelry, and a couple other things) and asked if he would like to have those to give his mom. The little boy was very appreciative and said yes. We talked while I wrapped the gifts. He was such a sweet and completely genuine little boy. James made him promise not to sell his bike. When he left, our hearts were bursting with pride in this sweet little boy who was willing to give up the bike he obviously loved to buy something for his mom. We wanted to follow him home so that we could go by later and leave some gifts on the porch for him, but we couldn't get the store locked up, and get out in time. Before he left I told him that his mother had a very special son. That little boy really made our Christmas last year.

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom