"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Master Chef

Jury Summons

AAGGHHHH
I have to serve on the petit jury on Wednesday.
At least now, I live in a smaller county, I had to go sit from 8am to 6pm in Dallas County and driving down there was nightmare!! This one is only about 20-30 minutes away.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul's on jury duty
in June. He's feeling about the same way Texasgirl.
We usally have to go down to Seattle but, this time it's in our
own town! Yippee!!!

Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been summoned for grand jury duty next week in a court that is 40 miles away, straight into jaw-grinding traffic. If selected, I may have to serve 1 to 3 days a week for 6 to 18 months.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Master Chef

Wow, I really feel for you, mudbug.

Mine is just petit juror, so, I doubt very seriously that I will be there more than that day. I hope not, my son graduates Thursday from high school.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
[QUOTE=mudbug]I've been summoned for grand jury duty next week in a court that is 40 miles away, straight into jaw-grinding traffic. If selected, I may have to serve 1 to 3 days a week for 6 to 18 months.[/QUOTe

WOW! I think everyone should do jury duty. But asking you to give 18 months is a little much!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I read the thing wrong. It's 1 to 3 days a month for 6 to 18 months. But that term can be extended by court order.

I actually don't mind doing this much - grand juries hear about potential federal crimes (my court is the one Zacarias Moussaoui was tried in), so it could be interesting.

The two worst parts are going to be the commute and having to find and wear some pantyhose (the instructions say to dress as if you were attending an important business meeting).
Old 05-31-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
i almost had to serve jury trial last summer, but at the last minute they decided to agree to binding arbitration, thank god. it feels like it always get hit up by the government... the IRS has already been after me because 2 years ago they sent me the tax return for the wrong Dave Montgomery, and it was over $2500! I didn't cash it of course, but we called them an told them we had it, and they basically blew us off. So 2 summers later they start calling my parents and asking for me because I'm on their watchlist or something! I'm thinking to myself, "guys get your stuff together!" i made like $4000 a year, tops, back in high school, and i never cashed the check.

On top of that, I went to opn up a new bank account with a new bank b/c they one i used to go to screwed me around all the time, and I found out that i couldn't open the account b/c someone downstate already had an acount with them with my SSN! It ended up being a typo in their database, but man that was a pain to clear up.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
i almost had to serve jury trial last summer, but at the last minute they decided to agree to binding arbitration, thank god. it feels like it always get hit up by the government... the IRS has already been after me because 2 years ago they sent me the tax return for the wrong Dave Montgomery, and it was over $2500! I didn't cash it of course, but we called them an told them we had it, and they basically blew us off. So 2 summers later they start calling my parents and asking for me because I'm on their watchlist or something! I'm thinking to myself, "guys get your stuff together!" i made like $4000 a year, tops, back in high school, and i never cashed the check.

On top of that, I went to opn up a new bank account with a new bank b/c they one i used to go to screwed me around all the time, and I found out that i couldn't open the account b/c someone downstate already had an acount with them with my SSN! It ended up being a typo in their database, but man that was a pain to clear up.
If you are located where you will be able to get your free credit report, DO IT NOW. If the bank can make a mistake like that , anyone can.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
yeah i had to do the whole credit report thing etc. already. Thanks though.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Master Chef

Good for you!! I'm glad.