Lets Vote Liver Off the Menu !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A plate of chicken livers and big bottle of ketchup = dinner!!!!! Man - that's what I'm having tomorrow - if I remember :oops:

buckytom said:
feeling a little rusty norgesjkog? :)
hey, wait. hasn't it been unusually dry this year?

yes it has, terribly dry. The Willamette is down about 10 inches below normal, they are warning of fire dangers. Average rainfall down 15 inches from Jan to today this year. Yes, buck, feeling rusty, and that is because I am of an age when the iron in my blood turns to lead in the old A$$. :LOL:

Dove said:
While in N.C. at Camp Lejeune (Marine Base) they have a food court outside the exchange..I bought some Deep Friem Chicken Liver and Gizzereds. Wow! they were so good!
Dove

There is a Chicken Joint her that serves Deep Fried Chicken Livers and Gizards. They are great:!:

kitchenelf said:
A plate of chicken livers and big bottle of ketchup = dinner!!!!! Man - that's what I'm having tomorrow - if I remember :oops:

ugh, ketchup. Tell me, kitchennisse are you having the livers with the ketchup or the other way around???????

norgeskog said:
yes it has, terribly dry. The Willamette is down about 10 inches below normal, they are warning of fire dangers. Average rainfall down 15 inches from Jan to today this year. Yes, buck, feeling rusty, and that is because I am of an age when the iron in my blood turns to lead in the old A$$. :LOL:

rofl, is that why i've been dragging it lately?????

Liver.? No, nope, no way.

The only liver I do is livermush.

Brauschweiger I like in moderation .... chicken livers marinated overnight in buttermilk are okay .... any other livers won't stay down for some reason. It's not a smell or taste thing ... for some reason I can't keep it down ...

They call it liver pudding, but we grew up calling it livermush. There is another brand as well.

liver_pudding.jpg

A little neighboring town, about an hour west of here has a livermush festival in Oct.

Livermush

Can't stand to eat any type of liver. Erk.
But, over here Lamb's Fry & bacon was at one stage a hearty Aussie country breakfast.

I have relos out on properties in SW NSW. An old favorite was Braised Lamb's Fry prepared the night before and reheated for brekkie.

Basically, this is how it was done. I cooked it for my former workmates for after nightshift and those who enjoyed Liver loved it.

Slice livers about 1/2 inch thick, lightly flour & (just) seal both sides in hot pan & put aside.

Cook some of the fat out of bacon rashes - enough bacon to cover braising dish twice.

Par-cook heaps of onions

Make a beef gravy from 'roast after juices' - a little runnier than usual.

Line dish with bacon, layer some onions over it, then layer sealed livers (fries). Layer more onion, then rest of bacon.

Pour in gravy to cover all, then put in the fridge, if you prepare the night before.

When ready, cover ingredients with a cheese & breadcrumb mix and pop it in the oven. Not too hot or the topping will burn before the centre is heated. When topping is evenly browned serve to expectant eaters. You'll be amased.

If you have a wood burner, do it in that to get the authentic flavour.

Although I don't like liver, I love the gravy & extras from this cookup..... Finely sliced beef heart can be included along with kidneys etc.

It really is good, but Lambs livers (Fries) must be used. I don't know how calves livers would taste, never tried them.

Michael in FtW said:
Brauschweiger I like in moderation .... chicken livers marinated overnight in buttermilk are okay .... any other livers won't stay down for some reason. It's not a smell or taste thing ... for some reason I can't keep it down ...

Could be the thought of eating a blood filter.... :LOL:

norgeskog said:
maidrite and kitchennisse, I love liver in certain applications: chopped liver - deli style, and rumaki which is small piece of chicken liver and half a water chestnut wrapped in a small piece of bacon and roasted or grilled until bacon crisp and have a teriakyi type dipping sauce.

Me too, norge.

I like liver n grilled onions, ketchup n mashed potatoes, also chicken livers. Just can't bring myself to look at or cook it.

A favorite years ago was liverwurst, sweet red peppers & mayo on white bread, bought from a New York Take-Out Deli. (Trying to remember if it had red onions on it too.) Fond of chopped liver, but the deli prices in So. California are sky high...so are the sandwiches. Please pass the pickles & get me some Matzo Ball or Kreplach soup...or a big fat pastrami or brisket sammich on rye with mustard:)

Ooops, wanted to mention my hungarian grandma's liver potato knishes were "the best." Wish I knew how to make them.

Never heard of livercheese. What is it? Can it be bought anywhere? Curious.

Last edited:
sounds good mish. i'm not a fan of mayo, except on boiled ham sammiches, but liverwurst with sweet red peppers and onions would be good on white or rye with spicy brown mustard. btw, where was the deli? always looking for good places.

brooksy, i think i would kill for that lamb fry. i may have to try a version of that one day. it will have to be when mdw is not home tho.

Yep, fried livermush with mustard. Or mix it up in grits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom