"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #41
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
No worries Bucky.
As I said to Crewsk (in the cafe), there is plenty of bacon, onions & gravy for the faint hearted (like me) to put on toast. The fry puts a beautiful flavour through the gravy.

You have to find lamb's fry (liver) though because I don't know whether calve's liver would work. It has to be available somewhere. I did forget to mention the salt & pepper as well. I put more than average pepper over the fries when layering them. Not smothered, but a healthy grind.

Taking off and flying are optional. Landing is mandatory
Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #42
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru

My favorite:

Diced beef liver with peppers and onion and garlic mixed into rice. Hmmmm...

My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #43
Executive Chef
I have to agree with Maidrite. Liver serves three purposes in life. They are:

1) Filtration of poisons, such as caffiene and alcohol, from the bloodstream.
2) Storage of fat-soluable vitamins and minerals
3) Catfish bait.

Wouldn't you know it, but PeppA made Liver-n-Onions tonight. Luckily, I had to work, so I had some stuff from work.

We also serve breaded and fried veal liver at work, topping with sauteed onions. Lots of the members eat it. I won't touch it. I can cook it, but don't expect me to eat it.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #44
Master Chef
Thumbs down

I agree with those who don't like liver or any other organs for that matter. Yuck!!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 03-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #45
Executive Chef
[QUOTE=buckytom]sounds good mish. i'm not a fan of mayo, except on boiled ham sammiches, but liverwurst with sweet red peppers and onions would be good on white or rye with spicy brown mustard. btw, where was the deli? always looking for good places.QUOTE]

Hi BT. 58th & Madison Ave, somewhere on a side street near where I worked. So many years ago, they're probably gone by now :( Restaurants in NY & L.A. are changing almost daily. Bet the Stage Deli (is that still there?) would make it up.

Hee Hee, one lunch hour a friend & I ducked into a nearby cinema w sammiches while our bosses were out of town. You never heard me say it. Guess Bloomingdales wasn't having a sale that day

I know mayo & liverwurst & white bread sounds like an odd combo...but you gotta try the whole sand in its entirety - or it's a flop...And must be soft white bread.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
rainy - fry mine up crispy and I like to mix mine with grits and sunny side up eggs. - about 2:30 in the morning it really hits the spot (soakage). LOL

Or on a bun with mayo, mustard and slaw.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 03-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
mish - yep - it's in the bread - soft, soft, soft, stick to the roof of your mouth white bread - I also like slices of braunschweiger like that too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 03-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #48
Head Chef
Please leave liver on the menu.

Usually all we can get are chicken livers and what the grocer calls 'calves liver'. It is blood red, firm in texture, and about 1/4 inch thick and it is tough to cook it any way short of well done.

Usually avoid it.

Sometimes we can find 'veal liver' that is pink, delicate in texture, and cut about 1/2 inch in thickness.

This can be cooked rare to medium rare (the way we like it). Nothing better.

Would love to be able to find lamb and pig livers, but have not been able to do so.

Thanks for the info about liver mush. Never heard of it. Googled some recipes and it sounds like a liver scrapple. And we do love scrapple (don't make it much anymore because it is so easily available commercially). Have to try a recipe.

One question though, love Braunschweiger and liverwurst, but never heard of liver cheese.

What in the heck is it?

Anyway, we are definitely liver lovers.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:27 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
I live to loathe liver, except for braunschweiger, which we always called liver sausage. The Oscar Mayer kind that comes in a little tube. I agree on the mayo and white bread fixings.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #50
Master Chef
Originally Posted by SierraCook
I agree with those who don't like liver or any other organs for that matter. Yuck!!
Ditto for me, too!

It can stay on the menu, just don't make me touch it!

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand