"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Contest Winner
Lets Vote Liver Off the Menu !!!!!

I know I will get flak for this, But Liver from Chicken or Beef is just not good even in the onion sauce. I know I maybe weird but I can't even stand to smell it cook. Barbara and Barbara and my sisters are great cooks, But I have only found one good thing for Liver, Fish Bait and I will let it slide from there. Please don't tell me there is a better way cause I have tried it so many ways. P.S. I do like livercheese though. :) Have A Great Day:)

If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
But seriously Maidrite - I'm still unsure if you like liver or not - could you please be more specific and take a stance on this - no wishy-washy attitude about it, ok?

I love liver - fried chicken livers - calves liver, liver cheese, Braunschweiger etc., fois gras - YOU NAME IT!

Now Maidrite - your turn to come clean - be honest!!!! 8-) :p

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef
I vote to keep liver on the menu. Love it breaded and pan fried with bacon and onions.:)

Old 03-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef
maidrite and kitchennisse, I love liver in certain applications: chopped liver - deli style, and rumaki which is small piece of chicken liver and half a water chestnut wrapped in a small piece of bacon and roasted or grilled until bacon crisp and have a teriakyi type dipping sauce. The rest I do not eat much of at all.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef
I am a liver lover too. I grew up with organ meats. My mom cooked them almost every day. I say liver stays on the menu.
Try this.....
German Liver and Apples

5 tablespoons of butter (more or less)
2 onions, sliced
1 pound of calf liver, sliced
1/2 teaspoon of marjoram
2 apples, chopped
1 cup of apple juice or apple wine
Salt and pepper

Saute onion in butter until transparent. Add the liver and apples. Cook until brown on outside, pink on inside. Pour in the juice, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and marjoram. Make a sauce by adding some heavy cream to pan.
You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Send a message via AIM to nicole
Maidrite, I hate liver. I am with you. BLEK!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #7
Contest Winner
I knew I was in trouble when I started this one, Just let me hide with liver cheese and Brauschweiger and I will just fine. Ask Barbara she knows I must vote no to anything but Liver cheese and Brauschweiger. By the way I will admit I use to buy Brauschweiger buy the 10 pound tube you can eat that on anything. Up to 3 years ago I paid only .29 cents a pound for it. Thats what I paid for it in Iowa. But man those shrimp for Calabash NC YUMMY best I ever Had.
If you need a smile, take mine, I'll make a new one.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
mmmm, like elfie, i absolutely love all kinds of livers. my fave is calf's just floured and cooked in herb butter, with irish bacon and raw onions and ketchup. sauteed onions if i have to.

chicken livers, sauteed in evoo with onions, hot peppers, and lots o' garlic is another good one.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Liver and Onions are classic.
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I hate beef liver! But, give me a plate of fried chicken livers with mashed potatoes & a thick cream gravy & you better get you hands away from that plate fast or you might wind up missing a finger or 2!

"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."