Microsoft Excel - anyone competent with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not save it once - I know, I know - no lectures PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Going to go download google desktop search - what else should I know? Thanks miguzi!

I have seen excel recovery programs online before. I do not really know anything about them, but it is worth a shot to google it. I hope you get your info back!!!

KE check unnamed files, some of the microsoft programs automatically save, i have done the same thing and I have been on computers for over 27 years.

I would goto the Windows 'search' feature and look the the file extension. It will pop up all the files of that flavor on your hard drive. Outside of that I cant think of anything. :neutral:

An option is to look under your recent documents. Here is the path to that area in your computer:

Navigate to cdrive/documents and settings/your folder (it should have your username on it)/My recent documents.

All documents that you recently edited or viewed should be there. But since you did not save it, unfortunately it might not be there. But it is worth looking. Good Luck!! :)

How did yu lose the file? If it was DELETED it may be in the Trash Bin.
Here is a blurb from Excel Help:
Recover files
Show All
Hide All
If the Microsoft Office or Office family program you are using is not responding, recover the program.
How?

On the Microsoft Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Application Recovery.
In the Application list, click the program or document that is not responding.
Do one of the following:
To attempt to recover the files you were working on, click Recover Application or Restart Application.
If you just want to close the program, and lose recent changes to the files, click End Application.
The error that caused the problem can be reported to Microsoft for use in improving future versions of the program. Click Report problem or Don't report problem.
Open the Office or Office family program.
Review the files listed in the Document Recovery task pane (task pane: A window within an Office application that provides commonly used commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still working on your files.), and decide which to keep.
How?

If a file has [Recovered] in the title it is usually a file that contains more recent changes than a file with [Original] in the title.

If you want to view what repairs were made to a file, point to the file in the Document Recovery task pane, click the arrow next to the file's name, and then click Show Repairs.
If you want to review the versions that were recovered, open all of the versions and save the best one.
For each file you want to keep, point to the file in the Document Recovery task pane, click the arrow next to the file's name, and then do one of the following:
To work with the file, click Open.
To save the file, click Save As, and then enter a name for the file. By default, the file is saved in the same folder as the original file. If you use the same name as the original file, the original is overwritten. When you see a message asking whether you want to replace the existing file (with the changes you made up to the last time you saved the file), click Yes.
When you have opened or saved all of the files you want to keep, click Close in the Document Recovery task pane.

OPnce you have Desktop search installed and all of your pages indexed...jut search for a piece of text that was in it. It whouls be some wierd combo of letters and numbers with a "$" in front of it

I'd have to agree with Hungry on this one Elfy. Office programs normally save files in use as they go in temp files (for recovery on power failures etc), even if you haven't named them, and recovery should be available.

I still use an oldish version of Lotus 123 - is heaps better for printed reports, but excel is very powerful. First spreadsheet I used was Visicalc on an Apple II+ back in '82, wasn't that an experience (now showing my age :ROFLMAO:).

Viaicalc

Brooksy said:
. First spreadsheet I used was Visicalc on an Apple II+ back in '82, wasn't that an experience (now showing my age :ROFLMAO:).

Join the club! Visicalc was my first love on the Apple II+, after WordStar. (that may have came after CPM??? Long time ago)

The came DbaseII, but that's another story.

Charlie

Thanks for everyone's help - it is truly appreciated. I was spending too much time trying how to recover when I realized I could have a good bit of it done again - I ended up re-typing. BUT I am now learning the ins and outs of the recovery process.

I lost it when I got an Adobe error message from trying to open something (Russ - I think it was your sandwich list). There was no way to save it after I got that error message - it closed it down. I went straight to my history in my documents and it wasn't there.

Scary isn't it Hungry.......... My favorite game in those daze was MS Flight sim - the original line graphics. :ROFLMAO:

Wasn't a real Wordstar fan and yep on CPM.. I used Zardax, then got a CPM coprocessor (card) for the II+ with an 80col card to learn Wordstar to tutor our older "Injunears" - the sliderule set, in computer basics & word processing. Had a great time with Pascal but the younger Eng's all used COBOL.....

Unfortunately Elfy you've learnt the hard way. Regardless of what you are doing with an application, either set autosave on or save your work every ten minutes or so, it does save a lot of work and grief in the long run.
10_1_19.gif

Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom