Middie and Damp--I need OH ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I want to try to get together with my cousin and her two little girls this summer (6 and 3). I'm in Harrisburg and she's in Green Bay so we'd like to find a half-way point that we could meet and spend the weekend. I'm assuming that would be somewhere in OH (probably western, by the MI border maybe?). Can you guys think of of somewhere where there's stuff we could do with the kids and still relax and catch up (and, of course, not spend a TON of money)? Thanks!

The first thing that came to mind would be Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island. It's about 45 minutes east of Toledo and a half hour ferry trip across the water. It's a great place to relax, I love it there! Put-In-Bay is called the "Key West of the North." www.putinbay.com

Cedar Point is also in the same area but I can't recall how much tickets are nowadays. That place can get a bit expensive if you're not careful tho.
www.cedarpoint.com

I'd avoid Toledo all together as it's not exactly known for it's atmosphere. I'm curious what Middie will have to say, I'm sure I'm missing something. Hope this helps, though! ;)

oh i agree with cedar point. but it can be a bit pricey.
not sure but i think it's about $38.00 a person to get in.

the islands are cool too. more of a party atmoshere
though. but there is lots of food and shopping. word of
caution though... last summer hundreds of people got
sick from the well water. so you might want to bring
your own. not sure how the well water will be this year.

That's a good call, Middie! I forgot about that place. I didn't know it was in Sandusky! That puts all the good stuff in the same general area! :D

Thanks! You guys are great (but I already knew that!)! The indoor waterpark is a super idea, Middie--I know that my cousin's family goes to one a couple times a year in WI and the girls go nuts over it.

I like the island idea, too, but maybe for a long weekend for DH and me. I remember hearing about the bad water last summer--think I'll wait and see what happens at the start of this season before I suggest going there! :LOL:

Cedar Point also has a new resort right near the park entrance with an indoor water park.

African Safari in Port Clinton was fun too. Large animals come up to the car and you can feed them. Some type of big animal (moose, buffalo, I forget) had its head on top of mine in the car and we were all hysterical!

Hi PA.

Check out frommers.com.
(Was it you, that was thinking about going to San Francisco awhile ago, but trip got cancelled? Wanted to mention Frommers then.) If you go through the site you'll find out everything you want to know about almost any place. Might even find spots in your own area you didn't know existed - prices, day trips, just about everything. There are places listed that only the locals know about. Met a friend is San Fran years ago, & thru frommer's guide we found some great inexpernsive restaurants, mom n pop spots & everything about what's going on.

mish said:
Was it you, that was thinking about going to San Francisco awhile ago, but trip got cancelled? Wanted to mention Frommers then..

Thanks for the Frommers idea. Key West got cancelled and as far as I know, the San Fran trip is on for later this month (keep your fingers crossed!). DH went to AAA today for guide books and we've already said we need to pick up a Frommers, too.

You're welcome PA. Send me a post card when you get to my fave city by the Bay. :)

norgeskog said:
PA come to Eugene, I realize it is a little out of the way, but you would have a great time. :LOL:

Norges, I just told my hubby last night that I really want to visit Oregon, and especially Eugene. It sounds like my kind of place! :D

PA Baker said:
norgeskog said:
PA come to Eugene, I realize it is a little out of the way, but you would have a great time. :LOL:

Norges, I just told my hubby last night that I really want to visit Oregon, and especially Eugene. It sounds like my kind of place! :D

Late June is a good time in Eugene. We have a festival called Arts in the Vinyard (cannot spell that dumb word today, ugh). Artisans from all over are here with their beautiful crafts, including small wine manufacturers, and musicians. Concerts, wine tasting and shopping, YEAH in Alton Baker Park.

Back
Top Bottom