"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Head Chef

Mustard Plaster?

Cold season is here, does anyone remember years ago they use to make a mustard plaster to put on your chest to help cure a cold? I was told they really work. Anyone know how they were made?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Head Chef

Ah come on folks, someone must know of the old mustard plaster. I'm not the only elder person here.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Never used that, normally use vapor rub.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Children:

1 Teaspoon Soda

1 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1 teaspoon flour

Use enough water to mix like a paste and smooth it onto a clean rag (an old sheet is great to use), it will get hot, but won't burn and can leave it on all day. WARNING: If child has real sensitive skin, check it often to make sure it isn't red and burning their skin. Better for adults to use all day with a child keep it on 10 minutes for maybe 15 minutes and then take off and put it back on. Important to keep it moist.

For Adults :

3Tablespoons flour

1 Tablespoon dry mustard

Mix with warm water to make a paste. (This can burn so take it off when you can't stand it any longer).
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Mustard plasters are still being used today to treat rheumatism, arthritis, chest congestion, aching back, and sore muscles. To make a mustard plaster, mix equal parts powered mustard and wheat flour, dilute the mixture with sufficient cold water to achieve a soft paste. Spread on a clean cloth such as cotton flannel, linen, or several layers of muslin. Remember that mustard is a hot herb and contact with the skin may cause blistering and should be avoided. Leave on for approximately 15 minutes. If the patient complains at any time during treatment, remove the plaster immediately. After the plaster is removed, bathe the treated area with cool (not cold) water to stop the burn. Dry the area and finish up with a dusting of baby powder or cornstarch to soothe the skin
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks so much Rainee, I now have my answere. Your always so helpful.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I've only seen mustard plasters used on the Three Stooges and Beverly Hillbillies! Now I know what they're made of!

BC
Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I remember my parents putting these on me when I was a kid. I still remember the smell. Brings back memories!

Sara

"Cheese makes life worth living." - me
Old 04-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior Cook

'Way back in '28, when a little over a year old, I developed "double pnemonia" (both lungs involved). The Dr. told my Mother nothing more could be done: I wold die. So, as a last resort, Mom made up a mustard plaster, put it on me, and I'm still here (Obviously). We've sworn by them ever since. Got my family through some tough times with 'em, too. [Rainee's got the thing xactly right!]