Mustard Plaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
Cold season is here, does anyone remember years ago they use to make a mustard plaster to put on your chest to help cure a cold? I was told they really work. Anyone know how they were made?

Children:

1 Teaspoon Soda

1 teaspoon dry mustard powder

1 teaspoon flour

Use enough water to mix like a paste and smooth it onto a clean rag (an old sheet is great to use), it will get hot, but won't burn and can leave it on all day. WARNING: If child has real sensitive skin, check it often to make sure it isn't red and burning their skin. Better for adults to use all day with a child keep it on 10 minutes for maybe 15 minutes and then take off and put it back on. Important to keep it moist.

For Adults :

3Tablespoons flour

1 Tablespoon dry mustard

Mix with warm water to make a paste. (This can burn so take it off when you can't stand it any longer).

Mustard plasters are still being used today to treat rheumatism, arthritis, chest congestion, aching back, and sore muscles. To make a mustard plaster, mix equal parts powered mustard and wheat flour, dilute the mixture with sufficient cold water to achieve a soft paste. Spread on a clean cloth such as cotton flannel, linen, or several layers of muslin. Remember that mustard is a hot herb and contact with the skin may cause blistering and should be avoided. Leave on for approximately 15 minutes. If the patient complains at any time during treatment, remove the plaster immediately. After the plaster is removed, bathe the treated area with cool (not cold) water to stop the burn. Dry the area and finish up with a dusting of baby powder or cornstarch to soothe the skin

I've only seen mustard plasters used on the Three Stooges and Beverly Hillbillies! Now I know what they're made of!

BC

I remember my parents putting these on me when I was a kid. I still remember the smell. Brings back memories!

Sara

'Way back in '28, when a little over a year old, I developed "double pnemonia" (both lungs involved). The Dr. told my Mother nothing more could be done: I wold die. So, as a last resort, Mom made up a mustard plaster, put it on me, and I'm still here (Obviously). We've sworn by them ever since. Got my family through some tough times with 'em, too. [Rainee's got the thing xactly right!]

Back
Top Bottom