"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Feel your pain. Thursday night we had to say goodbye to my best friend. He would have been 12 in Aug. His mother had a difficult delivery, he was breech. So, I delevered him, cut the cord and he spent the first night with me while his mom was at the hospital having the rest of the puppies.

He has been sick for the last 6 months, and there was nothing else medicine could do for him.

He was the best dog I have ever had. I miss him terribly, and it hurts.

Just love them while you can!

Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

oh, goodness, rainee.
i'm so sorry you lost your friend.
i'm getting a little tearful here.
it's so hard to lose a pet!
what makes it hard here is that we buy the older cats cause they have such a lesser chance of being adopted, and you don't know how old they really are.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
Master Chef

So sorry for your loss Rainee!

Luvs....I'm glad I could relieve some of your sadness for a little while.

AllenMI.....oh wow.....thats why I wanted her to check with her vet first.....I've never given a cat medicine other than ear drops so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the information and warning from all us cat owners.

Whether its a pet or a human one should always check with the doc before giving medication. I did a search regarding what AllenMI said and this is what I found at

http://www.vetinfo.com/catortho.html...is%20in%20cats
Aspirin can be used in cats if it is used very carefully. It is best to have your vet examine your cat
and help you determine an appropriate dosage, although the standard dosage is 10mg/lb of body
weight, given every 48 to 72 hours. It is very important to stick to these long dosing intervals
because aspirin has a long half-life in cats and can accumulate, leading to toxicity, if it is given daily.
Do not use acetaminophen (Tylenol tm) or ibuprofen (Motrin tm) in cats.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Luvs, our old man Puff is going to be 21 !! this August. He's certainly not the mighty hunter he once was; is arthritic, can only eat soft food, and we think his vision is going. But he still comes up to snuggle whenever we sit down, and the other day he actually took away the toy mouse Pippin was playing with, and started batting it around a little bit! So ya just never know. Enojy the time you have with him.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Luvs, our old man Puff is going to be 21 !! this August. He's certainly not the mighty hunter he once was; is arthritic, can only eat soft food, and we think his vision is going. But he still comes up to snuggle whenever we sit down, and the other day he actually took away the toy mouse Pippin was playing with, and started batting it around a little bit! So ya just never know. Enojy the time you have with him.
puff sounds like a good 'ol guy. poor old kitty. 21! WOW! you must've taken the BEST of care of him!!!!! right now, my girl Esther is hanging out with me, being a stubborn little kitty. i call her 'cute-pea'. she's a brat, lol, but in a cute way.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #16
DC Grandma

What an intresting site Sizz!! thanks for posting.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #17
Master Chef

sizz, not till dove posted did i notice your site reference. THANK YOU!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Our baby is 17 and arthritic. She sleeps a lot more than she ever did but still enjoys being brushed and getting her treats. She can't jump or climb more than a foot or so but doesn't seem to be in pain. I know the day will come when we have to let her go and if she does have pain that's when we will do it. Just remember what a good life you have given your baby and all the love you have given each other. You will always have that.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
Everymom

Rainee, I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible and hard.

luvs, is your kitty sick? 12 is by no means serious old age for a cat. We routinely have our kitties live to 20 or so. I think you can count on snuggles for a long time to come.

My current two cats are 13 and going strong. One is diabetic and has been on insulin for the last three years and is still hale and hearty. She had a spell a while ago where she appeared to be in some serious pain (of course in the middle of the night!) and the vet determined she had gastric pain . We got some teeny pepcid pills, and some special kitty pain killers. They weren't that expensive, and better safe than sorry I think. Be careful what you give your little buddy.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Ahhhh Rainee I'm sorry. It's nice that you had him for so long. I'm sure you'll miss him bunches.