Need Computer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I am pounding my head on my desk here. I was in the middle of a HUGE document and the computer crashed. I LOST IT ALL.

My question is: Is it possible to recover my document? And if so, can someone walk me through it?

Please help me! I don't want to have to type it all in again.

What type of document was it? Was is Word or something like that? First thing I would check is your recent documents. Click on the Start button and then look for Recent Documents and see if it shows up in there.

I am pretty sure that Word saves periodically on its own, but I am not positive of that. I am not sure where it would be stored either, but hang tight. I know this has come up before and others here have known where to look. How frustrating that must be for you!!!

It is TOTALLY frustrating, and I know it saves stuff periodically, but I have no idea where to look. Thanks GB, I will wait and hope someone can help.

start button >> search >> files & Folders >> enter the name of the .doc and hit search.

post back and we can go from there.

Word only saves stuff automatically if you set it up to do so.

Norton makes recovery software that will recover lost files. It's part of a utilities package they sell. If you have any Norton stuff on your computer, check it out.

If you're going to try to recover a file, don't do any other file saving in the interim as the new file may be saved into the area where your stuff is waiting to be recovered.

OK, I did the search. Nothing.

I am running XP.

I have recovered a document once before simply by opening word as soon as I got online again. Unfortunately this didn't work this time. Any more ideas?

It might be in your temp folders somewhere, but I am not exactly sure how to find those. Anyone?

I'm no pro, Alix...but maybe - click on history (top of screen), then see if you can find the doc & hopefully go right to it.

OMG OMG!!! mish you are a GENIUS! I didn't get the whole document back, but I got most of it. I owe you HUGE! Thank you soooooo much!

Whew. SOOO glad. You're very welcome. I sure know what that's like. Save, save, save :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom