Need Computer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
badpc.gif

How do I get rid of a file/program that keeps showing up on my computer? It has it's own icon and every day it shows up! Sometimes 2-3x/day. I've tried deleting it, and then clearing the recycle bin, but that is only temporary. When I've gone to "find" on my windows menu, I type it in, and very often, it's there, even when I can't see the icon. Again, I delete it, to no avail. I've even clicked on it, and it asks if I want to uninstall it, so I try, but that doesn't work either. I'm assuming it's from some internet site.
Can anyone help me get rid of this thingy?
Thanks!

First thing I would try is running a spyware program. Ad-Aware is a great one and it will get rid of a lot of other unwanted things on your computer as well.

What is the name of the program you are trying to get rid of? Some are very difficult if they get into your registry.

Did you try to "search" for the file? Sometimes a whole lot will pop up that you can delete that way. Or empty your Temporary Internet files, and cookies too. Good luck jkath.

I've got Ad-aware on my desktop pc. I scan quite frequently, and you'd be surprised what shows up.

I just tried to download Ad-aware onto my desktop. The download stopped as soon as it started. When I tried to resume the download (Opera has a built-in download manager), Opera freaking crashed!

I will admit that I had a lot of windows open at the time, and I don't have a lot of RAM on this thing yet. I'll try to resume the download again in a bit. If that doesn't work, I'll just transfer the .exe (I always save my downloaded .exe's for software) from my desktop to my laptop.

One thing I use is a free program called Agent Ransack ( www.agentransack.com ). It allows you to find any file at all that is on your computer. I have found many programs that I thought had been removed. Also, if I am trying to find something and it seems to be lost, I use Agent Ransack to find it.

:) Barbara

If all else fails, call your ISP (Internet service provider) TECH and ask for help. Or the company that sells your brand of puter.Good Luck

If as others have suggested, AdAware does not fix the problem please tell us

1. What version of Windows are you running.

2. What is the icon that shows up ie what program is it referring to?

3. Go Start/All Programs/Startup and see if there is a reference to it. If so delete it.

If number 3 does not work we may have other tricks up our sleeves.

We are all working blind not knowing the program etc.

Thanks to you guys, I think it is gone - hooray!
I'm going to check out that site, Barbara - sounds good :)

(As always, I really appreciate your help!)

What program was it?

I had a devil of a time with Wild Tangent on my desktop. That's some kind of shareware that comes bundled with some pc's.

Let's just say my husband's idiotic "friend" was drinking at the house and
"showed" him a "photo", if you get my drift.
(can you say "embarrasing?"!)

If you want my expert opinion.... I would open your wallet and take out your credit card...... call Dell and order a new computer.
No need to thank me. You can donate money by providing me with your bank account number. ;) :P

jkath,
Any idea which FIX worked?
I had the same thing happening a while back and as Rumpelstilskin (sp)
suggestred it was in the start up list. Removing it from there worked.

I had a, I think you would call it a Trojan Horse, that went in and rewrote my home page address in MS Internet Explorer. Every time I logged on I would get popup after popup advertising all kinds of sites, mostly X rated.
I found the bogus address and removed it. That solved that problem.
I just found site that has a simple "FIX" to remove the MS Messenger from your computer. It doesn't do any good to remove it from the start up, every time you "boot up" it is read right back in the start up file from the Register.
This site has a lot of Tech goodies.
http://sniptools.com/vault/uninstall-and-remove-msn-messenger.htm

Glad you solved your porblem.

Charlie

Hey Charlie thanks!! I have been trying to get rid of Messenger for ages & now it is gone! Hooray!

Jkath, I use Spybot to keep nasties out of my PC - I find Adaware a little too "enthusiastic" for my liking! I had to keep using System Restore to put essential things back that Adaware had nuked lol. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom