"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

Well I should of told you guys. I have a great fear of flying. I can't even go to the airport and watch the planes take off and land. I found this out about 12 years ago when I took a friend of mine there to pick up her brother So leaving the good ole USA is out of the question unless we take a cruise which I'd rather not. My oldest has no desire to fly either. So we'll either be driving or taking a train to our destination so I'd only like to have a days travel time (24 hours). We can get to FL from IN in 18 hours, Myrtle Beach in 13.

GB.....my boys ages are 18, 14, and 6. My oldest sons girlfriend will be joining us also and she is also 18.

If memory serves me right AllenMI.....didn't you go to Orlando, FL earlier this year? I'm going to see if I can find your old post. I remember you gave me some tips but since most of my belongings are in storage now I really don't want to go tearing it apart

Anyone been to Myrtle Beach? Anyone think of any other places near the ocean that has an amusement park nearby that would only require no more than 24 hours travel time by car?
Anyone else been to Disney World in FL? Can you share your exp. and tips.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Sizz, I don't remember the name of it--middie and damp can help you--but there's an island off of Ohio, in Lake Erie, that's supposed to be really nice. And I think it's pretty close to Cedar Point amusement park, too. Best of all, it would be an easy drive for you.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Middle Bass Island Pa. There's a few of them though. Put-In-Bay and Kelley's Island are other popular ones. no ocean though, just a big lake lol.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Disney in Florida was one of my best vacations ever Sizz. I was 15 when we went and my whole family enjoyed every second of it. The beaches resort would require you flying and I think it is more for younger kids, but Disney has something for everyone. You can't go wrong there!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks all. Midd.....I'll keep that other in mind though for future vacation spots.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Not only do you have Disney World and Epcot, there is Sea World, Universal Studios, of course the beaches, but there are places where you can go eat in Orlando that are theme restaurants close to Orlando if not in Orlando. Honestly not sure of names or exactly where they are located, but they have a Castle where you are served by serving wenches at long tables with a whole chicken (you eat with your fingers), and I think you get bread, dessert and iced tea. Has been quite a few years since I was there, but the food was good and they have a show where you watch jousting while you eat. There is also a western theme not too far from the castle theme, where you watch indians chase a stage coach (I think, haven't been there but heard about it) and another type of dining place...can't remember what that one is though. If you are coming to Florida in July, make sure that you bring plenty of summer clothes, very light summer clothes because it will be extremely hot and humid then. You won't have to worry about hurricanes in July even though hurricane season has already started then, but is just extremely unusual for them to appear in July.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
IcyMist, that's Midevil Times. I haven't been to that one but have been to the onther one, Dixie Stampeed in Orlando, Myrtle Beach, & Tennesse.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #18
DC Grandma

Paul's niece has a home (or Condo) they rent out in Myrtle Beach..haven't been there and I don't know anything about what she charges but it is walking distance to the beach.
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Thanks Crewsk you are right. I have only been to Midieval Times and I totally enjoyed it. Eating with fingers wasn't my favorite thing to do, but was still fun. The only thing I missed there was there were no veggies and I love veggies. :(
Old 05-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
At Dixie Stampeed, you eat with your fingers also. We had a chicken, 2 or 3 slices of roasted pork loin, potato wedges, bread, soup, & dessert. The last time we went, we took plastic forks & spoons with us. I love going there & the kids really enjoyed it. They have a wonderful Christmas show.