Neighborhood Picnic Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I somehow have volunteered to be in charge of coordinating RSVPs and food for our neighborhood block party. I need to figure out how to divide the neighborhood so we get a relatively reasonable amount of the following things brought to the party: 1.snacks/appetizers, 2. salads and sides, 3. desserts. We have 161 houses in the development. A woman working on this with me is convinced we need to divide it up by street. Thing is, some streets are much more active than others so I don't think we'll get a good cross section of food if we do it that way. I wanted to divide it by alphabet (if your last name begins A-G, bring snacks/appetizers, and so on).

What's your opinion? Is there some sort of "equation" that you need a certain amount of one category versus another?

Boy, am I glad I volunteered! :rolleyes:

Figure out how many people have to make snacks/appetizers, how many have to bring desserts, etc.

When people call to RSVP, ask them which category they want to contribute. If that category is filled, tell them so and ask them to pick another.

Alternatively, when they call to RSVP, tell the first family bring something from category #1 the 2nd from category #2 the 3rd for #3 and so forth. That way, no matter how many people RSVP, you'll have decent mix of stuff.

PA Baker said:
:ROFLMAO: You smart ***! I think I'm going to make a giant paper mache Bucky to drop! :LOL:

lol mommy-baker, just make sure the belly is full of candy so when it drops, it'll be like a pinata for the kids...

Pa, I'm with Andy M on this, but one thing I thought of, I'd suggest that they bring a dish big enough to feed 4-6-8 prople...Believe me I've gone to these things and the lady down the block with 6 kids and in-laws visiting brought 6 deviled eggs, while Mary across the street who lives alone brought potato salad in a large bucket..:LOL:

kadesma:ROFLMAO:

Kadesma, that is so true. I went to a potluck the other day and someone bought this small bowl of potato salad, probably enough to feed about 3-4 people. I always make my dishes large enough to feed 10-12 people. I figure if I have any food left, more for me to have for leftovers later. But that usually never happens, they typically eat it all. Which makes me feel great as a the one that made it, but sad for not having any leftovers.

PA Baker, I like Andy's first idea. It still gives people a chance to choose what category that want to make something from, but also will give you an idea of things that you may be short on. I think the second idea is too limiting. You would not want to have someone that is an excellent baker bringing an appetizer. Good Luck and remember to have fun. :)

Andy and Sierra, that was my first idea, too. It made the most sense to me and the work would be on my shoulders since I'm taking all of the RSVPs. Rest of the committee didn't like the idea, though. They want the assignments to be posted on the save the date flier. They're not the most reasonable bunch--they're the same group, who even though we only have a $300 budget for all of our activities in a year, wanted to get a DJ, a dunking machine, and kegs of soda for the picnic. :censored: :rolleyes:

So this is the only compromise I can come up with--divide the alphabet in thirds and assign the groups according to that. It will take up the least space on the flier. Then, as my RSVPs start to come in, I can ask people to bring something else if we seem to have an overabundance of a category. How does thta sound?

Sounds like that's what you have to do to make it work. I didn't realize you were being asked to swim upriver with a cement block tied around your neck! Interesting that you are given a job to do and then not allowed to do it.

I'd also add something my PTA does:
The sooner you sign up, the better chance you'll get to bring what you want. If you wait too long, you'll have to bring whatever category is left.
(which is why I always try to sit next to the mom who has the sign ups!)

PA, I'd keep it simple. Not everyone is a cook & thinks about appetizers, desserts etc for a picnic. Since there are over 100 buildings participating, I'm sure there will be lots of food. The best part is the people getting together in an informal atmosphere & having a good time. Guessing, to most folks, a picnic means hot dogs & potato salad. I wouldn't drive myself nuts about who's bringing what. Just have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom