"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i had mashed potatoes once, prepared by an ex-gf in my apt., that appeared to have a lot of black pepper in them. it wasn't pepper, but rather non-stick lining. she used a metal bladed hand blender to whip the potatoes in the non-stick pot...
No wonder she is an EX

Old 05-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm glad to hear that we're not the only ones! :-)

Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I'm trying not to panic... DH washed my nonstick William-Sonoma cookie sheet last night and some of the nonstick coating was rubbed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRGGGGHHJHHH That's my favorite cookie sheet and my best one!!! I have to breathe and then tell him he was great for washing it but will see if he even notices it... I'm sure I'm just making a big deal and should be happy I have a hubby who does dishes...but STILL!!! I bake A LOT!!!
May I suggest you use half size commercial jelly roll pans, like they use in bakeries?

They are heavy aluminum, and stand up to a lot of torture! I bought 12 of them at a used restaurant supply store for $1 each -- years ago. They are indestructible and wonderful pans.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
May I suggest you use half size commercial jelly roll pans, like they use in bakeries?

They are heavy aluminum, and stand up to a lot of torture! I bought 12 of them at a used restaurant supply store for $1 each -- years ago. They are indestructible and wonderful pans.
WOW, THANKS chocolatechef. I've rusted out cookie sheets (soaking them in warm soapy water), & didn't know what a good replacement would be. Where can I purchase these? Are they okay to bake cookies & pizza on?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #15

Sure Mish, you can bake anything you want on them.

Just make sure you get the heaviest ones you can find. They only cost a little more than the lighter ones.

I would look in my yellow pages for your nearest new/used restaurant supply store and go there. I would ask to see their new and used pans.

If the used pans are heavier, I would buy them and scrub them up at home. I had to use oven cleaner on some of my pans, but they came out great and a lot cheaper and better than the new lighter pans!

The ones in the regular stores may say they are commercial, but they are lightweight copies. Don't go there.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thank you, Chocolatechef! Learn something new here all the time. Dare I look on ebay (We've both had some memorable experiences ) I'll check around. Getting tired of those disposable super market dinky trays. They look so sad.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #17

I did a search on Ebay to get a photo for you. Right now, it does not look like they have the good heavy ones listed.

Besides the shipping on such heavy pieces will offset your savings. I would check the new/used restaurant supply store for these.

They usually have bunches of the good used ones that only need a good scrubbing, and they sell them cheap because of it.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanks Chocolatechef. Didn't know you could use oven cleaner & wondered if it was safe edible-wise? Appreciate your input and help.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #19

You are welcome Mish!

I bought a bunch of these for my church's kitchen, and some for myself. Three of my aunts even "stole" some from me. They thought they were taking all I had, but I had six more hidden, so I let them get away with it! We joke about it all the time.

I have never paid more than $1 or 2 each.

Let me know if you find some you like!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #20
Master Chef

I'd take it back. That probably shouldn't happen unless he took to it with steel wool or something.

WS is usually very good about returns/replacements