"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #21
Head Chef

Choc, thanks for the info. I have one pan that looks similar. My parents bought it for me at the wholesale store (United Grocers Cash and Carry). I don't know if it's the same as what I would get from a restaurant supply store, but it's my second favorite. :-) I might just get another one if my nonstick one gets beaten up too badly.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Unless I'm missing something jenny may have a point - should non-stick coating just rub off?????? Sounds like a manufacturer's defect.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Unless I'm missing something jenny may have a point - should non-stick coating just rub off?????? Sounds like a manufacturer's defect.
If you take a steel wool or brillo pad to it, or use metal utensils w or w/o heat, it will rub off. Teflon will rub off. Brings up another question about these so-called non-stick cooking sprays. We may be cutting down on fat, but what's the damage to our cookware. A tbl of oil...to saute anything -- don't think so. Great topic. Keep em coming.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

is ingesting teflon or any other non-stick surface poisonous? (i'm guessing it just passes thru, maybe a little more quickly than other things... )

i'm sure i have eaten my share of it, as well as cat hair.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #25
Executive Chef

BT, you must come from good "stock" lol. You're still here to tell us about it...some good dental floss might help. You're making my sides hurt from gigling. BTW, can I have the cat hair recipe.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
is ingesting teflon or any other non-stick surface poisonous? (i'm guessing it just passes thru, maybe a little more quickly than other things... )

i'm sure i have eaten my share of it, as well as cat hair.
Bucky, I've read conflicting opinions on the dangers of teflon to humans. Some say that once a non-stick pan is scratched, then you should get rid of it as it allows more to flake each time you use the pan.

Something you really need to be careful of, though--there is a lot of conclusive evidence that the fumes from teflon are deadly to birds. If heated to a high temperature, teflon gives off a gas that is highly poisonous to birds, even if they're in another room.

The cat hair, I'd just consider another source of fiber! I'm sure we've had our share in this household, too!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
If you take a steel wool or brillo pad to it, or use metal utensils w or w/o heat, it will rub off. Teflon will rub off. Brings up another question about these so-called non-stick cooking sprays. We may be cutting down on fat, but what's the damage to our cookware. A tbl of oil...to saute anything -- don't think so. Great topic. Keep em coming.

Did a brillo pad take it down? Or was it damaged through regular cleaning?

IMO, I'd still take it back. I've had very good luck at WS (cause you are paying top dollar there).
Old 05-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
lol, elfie, sorry, i'm not laughing at you, but your husband's ingenuity. that's exactly how i got out of doing laundry years ago... i wasn't that cruel tho. (boy, he must HATE laundry). it was only some of dw's workout clothes and an old blouse or 2.

and gb, just remember, there's always 100001 %. save that little nugget for when she's mad at you for something...

i had mashed potatoes once, prepared by an ex-gf in my apt., that appeared to have a lot of black pepper in them. it wasn't pepper, but rather non-stick lining. she used a metal bladed hand blender to whip the potatoes in the non-stick pot...
Oh boy Bucky, bet those were the most expensive and jaundiced eyed mashed taters in history... More black pepper anyone
kadesma
Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

htc, it's now to late to panic..Just come up with a plan to foil the critter My dh is a dear, but, he does NOT listen, guess I yak to much I've asked and pleaded, please do not use the knives in pans or the counter tops, only the bread board, please don't use my good scissors to cut wire..YUP he did an does So, I leave out the mistreated knives and a pair of old scissors and have hidden my good things Now, were both happy, he thinks I've given up and I know better...I haven't

kadesma
Old 05-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #30

Kadesma, you know just how to handle men!

I love it!