"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 02-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Ordering up a side of nutrition info

NJ has a bill up that wants all fast food joints and chain restaurants that have 20 or more stores to BE 100% forced to put up nutritional information.

http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/in...5094203020.xml

I would like to say that I am for all fast food joints being forced to put nutritional information on the food wrappers, fry cartons, etc....

Old 02-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Head Chef

you know, I've always wondered why they don't do that. I think they should have been required to do this a long time ago.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

kleenex, I think that the federal government has something like this going as well. They have asked for the same nutritioinal information on packaged foods be on menus. Some already have limited info, especially on the so called health foods. Strangely enough, the 'salads' or low cal stuff the fast food guys are pushing has more calories and fat than the burger and fries. GMA did a research on this with Sara Moulton last year and it was surprising in most cases the burger was less, in which case the salads would probably not be eaten by people looking for lo-cal. I was shocked to learn that my favorite appetizer at Chili's, their awesome blossom, had, can hardly say it, 2800 calories. Have not had one since.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Head Chef

I think it's about time! The more information people are provided the better; maybe it will nudge them into making better choices about what they eat.

It's pretty simple as to why they don't do it voluntarily now ~ so you don't have to awknowledge that the BigMac you just wolfed down has about 30g of fat and your large side of fries 25g. /shudder

Look here for more artery clogging facts straight from the horses mouth. =P

;)
Z
Old 02-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I agree that restaurants should have information regarding the nutritional content of their menu items but I think it sould be done voluntarily and if a restaurant refuses, leave it to consumer advocacy groups to apply the pressure. God knows there are plenty of those around. In this day and age, we should all know that anything coming from a food establishment is most likely not good for you. Do we really need more bureaucracy to deal with something as simple as common sense? Just my two pennies. :D
Old 02-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
see that's just it damp. this day and age alot of people lack common sense.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Can't argue with that, Middie. :roll:
Old 02-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I have seen fast food joints with nutritional info posted in the restaurants on large posters. Of course, all that info is on their websites.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I have seen fast food joints with nutritional info posted in the restaurants on large posters. Of course, all that info is on their websites.
I bet if you walk into some McDonalds stores you will not see the nutritional information up to look at or even to take home today.

If you goto this website:
http://www.quiznos.com/

You will easily see this fast food chain skimp on nutritional information.

Personal responsibility of the company is just as important as the personal responsibility of the person.