"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Quiet

Have any of you realized how often you use the computer instead of the telephone? My family said that is the only time I am quiet when I am on the computer. Of course, they have cell phones that I still hear but that isn't me. The computer does allow me to stop when I want to. Rather than staying on the phone listening to someone I just read what they want to tell me and then answer when I can. It sure is strange how life has revolved. I like it. Phones always made me nervous especially being behind someone while they are driving and using cell phone. I just keep honking the horn if they forget I am behind them. One person going 25 in 40 zone. They may own some of the road but so do I. Shame I have to remind them. Any of you have cell phones?

Old 02-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Dh and I have cell phones. We do not have a land line. Works for us. And yes, I hate it when people talk on the cell when they are driving.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I mostly use my cell phone at work. The GC owners are too cheap to buy us 2-way radios so we have to communicate with each other on our own dime. :roll:
Old 02-24-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Some times they are really important. When they are driving and just not worrying about anyone is when I know that it is not urgent call. Boy, using your own for company doesn't sound right. Anybody ask them about this? How are you supposed to know what each other is doing if not by phone or 2-way. What's the guy's name? Maybe someone should talk to him?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
Executive Chef

LOL! I'm in contact with the owners on a daily basis. They're actually pretty cool but very stubborn. I just suck it up and say 'Oh well.' Besides, they're Italian and they way they joke about concrete would make anybody nervous! Sometimes I wonder if my paycheck is signed by a Don! :roll:
Old 02-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
LOL! I'm in contact with the owners on a daily basis. They're actually pretty cool but very stubborn. I just suck it up and say 'Oh well.' Besides, they're Italian and they way they joke about concrete would make anybody nervous! Sometimes I wonder if my paycheck is signed by a Don! :roll:
Just don't let them kiss ya.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Executive Chef

They like me, thank God!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thank God is key! You got the right attitude. If your boss LIKES you that is half the battle. Being sure of the job you have makes lot of difference then worrying everyday if this is THE day, if you know what I mean? Just keep doing your job. When it comes time to them deciding about cell phones you may the one they call on for advice. Italian people are usually hard workers if it is their business. Can't blame them for trying to save nickel. In time,they may realize cell phones make a difference. Unless some of the people aren't as well liked as you are. Like you said, things could be worse. Everyday just know that you will do what they expect. I wish you the best.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I've got one, but it is seldom on. Very few people know the number.

I'm more likely to give you my pager number before my cell phone number.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to nicole
Well, My husband had a cell phone just so we can talk to eachother while he was at work (mostly text messages). Then one day I opened our bill and saw that we owed $741.25 . We cancled the phone then and there. Will never have one again