"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Rainy Days and Sundays

Well weather is nasty outside because of tropical storm Arlene. Has been raining, tornado watch is out until 5:00 p.m. and right now am trying to figure out what I want to do. Have put a chicken on to cook nice and slow because I need broth and I have a recipe I want to try out next weekend and will be crunched for time then, so vacuum packing shredded chicken today, but other than that have no clue what to do being stuck in the house. :(

What do you do on rainy or nasty weather days?

Old 06-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

To me, rainy days are the very best. I open all the drapes, and open the front door. I'll also spend some time outside on my front porch, just sitting and watching. I love a good storm. It's also the perfect day to have a fire in the fireplace and the classical music on, and hot cocoa on the stove.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Hmmm open doors in Florida?....BUGS!!! Fireplace?.....NO WAY JOSE!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love a good lightning storm that I can sit safely inside and watch, especially when I lived on a lake. It was awesome sitting inside watching the reflections off the water. But an all day rain is sleeping weather and I would rather be outside than sleep all weekend.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Research! I do a lot of historical internet research when I can't get out, usually in the winter, but a rainy day during the warm season is the same for me. Of course, I catch up on a lot of honey-do's and chores at the same time. Sometimes I bake.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Oh, Allen - isn't it wonderful to bake on those days? Having the aroma of fresh banana bread wafting through the kitchen while the rain is pouring down on the roof. Very nice indeed!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I bake on rainy days too or I come see what's going on here.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Well I have cleaned, cooked, deboned and have chicken in freezer where I will be able to vacuum pack it. Have cleaned the crab, froze it and then vacuum packed it. Have read threads, surfed a little, done 2 loads of laundry, torn up some old boxes I have been saving for something that I can't remember and it is only noon. :( NOW I have a headache from the weather, but the sun is finally shining but if I go outside with this headache it will only get worse. Can't read, don't really want to go to bed for headache. ARGGGGGG I am so bored. NOW WHAT? :(
Old 06-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

I also like to read my latest cookbook finds when the weather is stormy.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I live in Seattle... Rainy days are very common..
I love for the sunny days. When it's nice in our area it's really nice. Beautiful and green.

I love a good storm though. We've had some really good ones the last few years. 16 trees down in our neighborhood with in about three hours two years ago. It took me over four hours to get home from less than 40 minutes away. Last year we had an ice storm. I'd never seen any things as pretty.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

While I love being outside, I love storms and I love to curl up by a window with my doxie, a warm fire, a cozy blanket, a good book and something to drink and something to munch on. I alternate between, looking out the window and reading..Now don't spread this around, but, I've been know to doze off

I also enjoy getting in the kitchen and whiping up somthing new I've been wanting to try..Most of the time tho, I'm into cartoons with Cade, feeding Eathan and now I'll have Carson to tend to too!!! Diapers anyone?
kadesma