"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Road Trip!!!

I'm planning on heading to the Outer Banks for a week in late July/early August, about a 10 hour trip. The last time I drove there I briefly fell asleep at the wheel near Norfolk! Luckily I only changed lanes and woke up before something bad happened! I also drove from here to the French Quarter non-stop (except for the rare bathroom break) and that took about 16 hours. Evidently, no one lives in Mississippi because I went through there at about 95 mph. Anyone else ever driven all day and all night for a road trip? :D

Old 03-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
DC Grandma

We did in 1955..I was expecting John and Paul took 30 days leave. We headed to N.C. and made it in 72 hours with Paul doing all the driving. (From San Diego Ca.) When we arrived at his parents home, he got out of the car and fell to his knees he was so tired and his legs wouldn't work. 3000 miles one way.

Now remember, there wern't all the Freeways back then. I do remember traveling on Old Route 66.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Nope.. we always break our trips up in sections. Paul's back hurts too much and I need sleep.

Hope you have lots of fun! Drive safe.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I had 2 weeks of vacation time to use up. At the time I had a leased car with a ton of miles to use up (I lived less than 3 miles from the office so I hardly used the car). I decided to get in my car and just drive south and see where I ended up. Long story short, I ended up eventually in Virginia Beach. I picked a bad week to go because it was very overcast and not really beach weather. Well I went to the beach anyway and fell asleep. Here is an interesting tidbit of info...70% of the suns rays make it through the clouds. Even though it was very overcast I ended up with a very bad sunburn. I decided that I might as well go home because being at the beach with a sunburn is no fun. I drove straight from VA to MA non-stop aside from a few bathroom breaks and a stop for food once. It took me 14 hours. I had to drive the whole time holding the seatbelt off my sunburn (I won't drive without wearing it). It is a vacation I will never forget.

I have had a few other trips like this (with friends), but this was one of the more memorable ones.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You're hubby is an Iron Man, Dove! You definitely have the perfect man to go RV'ing with! :D
Old 03-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to nicole
4 years ago we took a trip to S. Carolina, In a truck. my husband drove the whole way there. 14 hours. I woke up around 3:00 am to the windows down and the music blarring. Freezing and deaf, He wouldn't even stop to go to the reastroom. It was a horrible trip there and back.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We can drive around the island in two hours;-D. The longest roadtrip I took was from San Diego to Vegas. HATE roadtrips!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I have, a few times. The first time, was when I took my sister to her new college, in Missoula, Montana. We left Tulsa, OK, around 3:30 am CDT. I didn't get any sleep the night before. We made it to Witchita, KS, and stopped for breakfast. She doesn't like to drive in large cities she doesn't know, so I drove out of Witchita. On the northern side, I pulled over and let her drive. She made it to Salina, and had me take back over, because she didn't know the town. I got through the town, and started west, before letting her take over again. She drove for about an hour, then pulled into a rest stop and let me take over. I drove the rest of the day, and made it to Casper, Wyoming, around 6:30 pm MDT, before we stopped. Never, NEVER drive I-70 in western Kansas without someone to talk to! It's boring!!!!

When I moved from Tulsa to Jackson, MI, we left around 10 am CDT, and drove straight through to Jackson, MI, arriving 7:30 EDT, with stops for foods and numerous pits stops, as PeppA was preggo with our twins sons at the time. She drove her truck, and I drove a U-Haul towing my car. I was fine until about 3 am, about the time we were in Indianapolis. I started getting drowsy. I kept the interior cold, and made many coffee breaks.

On the way down to Tulsa last month to visit, we left Jackson about 12:45 am EST. I drove all through the night, and made it to the western side of Indianapolis before turning over the wheel. She drove the rest of the way to Tulsa. I tried to sleep some that early morning, but didn't really sleep much, maybe an hour.

On the way back home, she drove all the way to St. Louis. I drove all the way home. Again, I started getting drowsy around 3 am. I was stopping for coffee about every hour or so.

I don't have a problem with team driving, as long as the off-duty driver actually gets some sleep. Otherwise, it's not really a good idea. If we go back down to OK to visity my family next year, we'll be stopping for the night.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Have a great time DC! I'm jealous, I've always wanted to go to the Outter Banks! My brother & SIL went for their hineymoon & they said it is beautiful!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
I'm planning on heading to the Outer Banks for a week in late July/early August, about a 10 hour trip. The last time I drove there I briefly fell asleep at the wheel near Norfolk! Luckily I only changed lanes and woke up before something bad happened! I also drove from here to the French Quarter non-stop (except for the rare bathroom break) and that took about 16 hours. Evidently, no one lives in Mississippi because I went through there at about 95 mph. Anyone else ever driven all day and all night for a road trip? :D
Yep, Detroit to Jeckyl Island, GA (just north of the GA/FL state line) in less than 16 hours...

Oh, and Dallas to Detroit, 21 hours....

John