Spring:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
middie said:
buckytom said:
the first sign here is always the crocus, but they're not up yet.
usually the first sign here is the vultures returning to hinkley park. every year on march 15th like clockwork, vultures are sighted flying back. people have even made it to be a small festival to celebrate. i never went though because it's usually still way to cold out for me lol

ummm, middie, do you live at 1313 mockingbird lane?
(anyone? anyone? beuller?)

lmao no. it sure feels like it sometimes though. actually they call them buzzards. but they're one in the same bird of prey.

I do not know, my tea roses bloomed all winter, never had to cut them back. I was told as long as they had blooms on them to leave them alone, so I did.

tweedee said:
:LOL: Have a recipe for fried squirl?.

SQUIRREL FRICASSEE

2 dressed young squirrels (2 lbs.)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. grated onion (optional)

Wipe squirrel thoroughly with a damp cloth. Remove any hair and scent glands. Examine carefully to locate imbedded shot and remove with a sharp pointed knife. Wash thoroughly inside and out in warm water. Drain well and cut into serving pieces. (Never wash after cutting up.) Combine salt, pepper, and flour. Dredge meat and coat well. Heat shortening in a heavy skillet; brown meat slowly on all sides to a rich brown (about 15 minutes). Add 1/4 cup of water; cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer gently until tender (about 30 minutes). Add remaining water as needed.

Squirrel should be very tender when done. Remove squirrel to a hot platter; cover and keep hot. Blend any leftover seasoned flour into the fat remaining in skillet. Add milk gradually and cook until gravy boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve at once with squirrel. Add the grated onion for additional flavor, if desired. 4 servings.

I saw crocus, daffodils, iris, tulip, glads and the such, in small little pots at Trader Joe's over the week-end. Going back to get some for my garden as I forgot to plant the bulbs. They were only $2.49 a pot. Really cute miniature iris from Holland, as were the tulips.

I wish there were some Trader Joes in Florida.(sigh)

PolishedTopaz, the robins are here in Florida. We have had a relatively cold winter here, so our bulbs have just started coming up. No azalea buds yet, and our Crape Myrtles are still barren. Hopefully, by next month things will start to happen.

I went down to the Sacramento Valley, yesterday. That is where Marge/Dove lives. It was gorgeous. Green grass. The fruit trees are blooming. The conference center where I had my training had planted flowers. Sigh, I am so jealous.

norgeskog said:
I saw crocus, daffodils, iris, tulip, glads and the such, in small little pots at Trader Joe's over the week-end. Going back to get some for my garden as I forgot to plant the bulbs. They were only $2.49 a pot. Really cute miniature iris from Holland, as were the tulips.

Last weekend Trader Joe's had daffodils for 99 cents for 10. So, I bought two bunches. When I got home I put them in water and they started blooming a couple of day ago. My daffodil bulbs are still sleeping underground.

tweedee said:
Hmmm! Squirrel pot pie. Never heard of that one.

Yep, my mom used to make it just like a chicken pot pie. It's really good as long as you get all the shot out of the squirrels first! That was not fun!! :shock:

I'm getting ready to head outside to see what's comming up. I also need to find a place to relocate my strawberry plants. Hubby said they are in his way. :roll:

Paul is about
to go out and mow the
grass for the time this season.

And we have a few flowers starting
to pop up.

LOVE IT! :D

The days are getting longer, the snow and ice melts a bit during the day, but no sign of spring here just yet. Still have huge piles of snow in the yard here in Maine. Around April/May we get what is called "mud season" lol, lots of rain, and the snow melting, then around June we can get up to 80 degrees, its crazy, one extreme to the other.

If it helps, "meteorological" winter ends today and spring starts tomorrow. There's about a three week difference between "astronomical" and "meteorological" seasons. It's supposed to get into the mid 50s here on Monday but get cold again on Tuesday so you can draw your own conclusions. :roll:

I raked up 2 bags of leaves, today, leftover from Fall. The snow buried the leaves before I could get them raked. It was so nice to wear shortsleeves. DC, I will send some of our sunshine your way as long as you don't take it all. No snow or storms in sight here for at least the next week. :D

Sierra,
Mid 70's here in the valley starting tomorrow..
The Boids are a chirping and the grass is a growing!

Sierra, your delivery of sunshine got here this morning, thanks a ton!!! :D It is VERY spring-like today! We might get some T-storms tomorrow but that's okay cuz it'll still be warm! Spring is just around the corner!

Back
Top Bottom