"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Termite Inspection - AGAIN?

Question to the homeowners out there.

Had a termite inspector about 5 yrs ago prior to taking possesiion of my condo. The Board of Directors sent another inspector a year or two later. Now, I get another letter from the Bored Board for another termite inspection.

Question, how often do I have to keep having the place inspected for termites? Do I have to allow it (kill another Saturday) waiting around for these yahoos.

Oh, assuming the Board is using my monies for these frequent necessary? inspections.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'll ask my husband, Mish. The guy that he works for owns 40 condo units and has a home owners association. I talk to him at break everyday.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Master Chef

First, do you own your condo or do you rent it? That may make a difference with his answer.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you, thank you, thank you Texas. I own. I've been calling these termite guys in the phone book & have gotten mixed answers. BTW, there's no swarming, no dust, no droppings, etc. Last HOA designated guy spent 15-20 minutes looking in every nook & cranny. Gimme a break. My inspector, prior to my taking posession took 5 minutes-- it has always passed.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The Board's job is to keep the buildings in good condition. They have a budget for that purpose. If they are anything like the condo board where I live (I'm the Treasurer on the Board) there's never enough money to go around.

So I think you should assume they have good reason to spend the money, otherwise they wouldn't. I'm sure they have a To-Do list a mile long including resident's requests they could be spending it on instead.

Sorry you have to keep dealing with this. Hopefully, this will be the last time. Our property manager has implemented an annual "spray all the buildings" plan to deal with carpenter ants/termites.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Master Chef

DH and I used to live out in the woods and we were told that we should have it checked annually. That was a house and at our own choice and expense, so the situation's a little different than yours.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have my inspected every year during the swarm season. It is worth the peace of mind.

Later
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

Hey Mish,
Same with my husbands employer, they do their inspection annually. Sorry, wish I could have told you different.