Way Off Topic: Eczema and Psoriasis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I must be the computer idiot of the universe, but whenever I go to look for help on-line, I wind up with so many hits of people trying to sell a product that I can't find the facts. And people wonder why I prefer reading. I contracted these two diseases this past year (they're inherited, Dad had them, and sisters have off & on), and I'm trying to find out if there's anything new or different, or home remedies. Instead there are a million products someone wants to sell me. If any of you know anything on these subjects or know of a good web site for research, please let me know.

So far webmd at least is organized. thanks, I'll continue to use them. I hadn't thought of something I know to be true -- bathing in salts. Duh. Dad has had serious problems with this all my life, and going to the beach or to (then my) pool are the only things that helped. Now that I'm not in a swimming lifestyle, it simply didn't occur to me to put a cup or two of epsom in the bath and sit in it. Thanks for trying to help, folks. I know for a fact that sun makes it better, so I'm rather 'scared of what winter will bring! I have a huge herb garden out he door, as well, and wish I knew more about herbal medicines. I'm getting there. Anyone else with any suggestions, feel free to chime in. I still have only dial-up service, and my computer is SLOW, so I lose patience easily. I appreciate all the help, I really do. Even if you're only pointing me in the right direction, you're saving me a half hour of sitting here twiddling my thumbs, waiting.

Last edited:
I always look for health info on nonprofit organization sites. That way you're more likely to avoid ads (at least for credible organizations). Here's the link for the National Eczema Assoc.:
http://www.nationaleczema.org/home.html

They seem to have some very good info for living with eczema and links to other resources.

And here's the link to the National Psoriasis Foundation:
http://www.psoriasis.org/home/

I deal with eczema/atopic dermatitis and have more trouble in the summer than winter but I know from the problems I have had that in the winter, moisturizing is key. Try Aveno brand products. They all are very mild and moisturizing. Eucerin brand is excellent, too.

Good luck, Claire!

OK, I have eczema and the latest treatment is apparently plain old petroleum jelly. It works. You are supposed to apply it about 30 times a day. (Whenever you think of it)

I heard that for some unknown reason this was the worst year people can remember for skin conditions. Weird huh?

Try calling a local pharmacy & ask the pharmacist. They're up on the latest over the counter remedies, if you want to "treat" yourself. I would see a doctor.

Edit to my earlier post. Just as mish says, see a Dr. My doctor is the one who told me about the petroleum jelly. Apparently dermatologists are looking for the purest form of moisturizer and Vaseline is it.

Thanks, I'm going to bump this for my own use, or try to print it. I am really a computer idiot, which is why I love this site. On top of great people, it is easy to use. My regular doctor just referred me to a dermatologist, and I'm going this week, and ... well, of course, most of the sores on my body are fading. They do that periodically. A freind from VA just brought me some lotion and spray (cortisone based) that aren't yet available here. Because I made the appointment and the body sores faded, my husband now thinks it's psycho-symatic. Well, I've lost approximately half my hair (and I didn't have a thick mane to begin with). In fact, I do know that medical science really can't do much -- the conditions do run in my family. He thinks it's a menopause thing. He knows my father, who has psoriasis all over his body, and has for all his life. Menopause?

Back
Top Bottom