"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
Head Chef

What makes us love/hate certain chefs???

Just idle chit chat...

I've noticed that many (on this forum) either LOVE or HATE the following FN chefs: Emeril, Rachel Ray or Bobby Flay.

I never see anyone go nuts hatiing other chefs such as Sara Molton, Mario Batali, Alton Brown, Tyler Florence, etc.

What is it about those first 3 that make people dislike them so much? And did I miss anyone else?

Old 05-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I like Emeril but he says the same things again and again, Rachel Ray is too bubbly for me, and Bobby Flay lacks any personality. I think Tyler Florence is very relaxed and casual and has a very natural personality, which I like. I still don't like the show "how to boil water" but since Tyler has become the chef it's a bit better (still don't understand why that woman is even on the show, she acts pretty dumb about food). Paula Dean is pretty good but man you could die from the amount of fatty things she makes, much like Emeril.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

since the beginning of tv, there has been a special gift that some people have to look very comfortable and natural on the air, while being entertaining. people like johnny carson come to mind. on the air, he was a natural. in private, i've heard he was somewhat of a loner and hard to get along with.

emeril had it, and then they "canned" everything he did, and he lost a lot of it. repetition is boring, i'm sure even to him.
rachael ray tries too hard to be happy and cheerful. some of that bubbly effervescence is attractive, but after a few hours, you want to smack it out of her. no one is that freakin happy all of the time, so it starts to stink of insincerity.
bobby flay doesn't try at all. i can almost hear all of the pumpers and fluffers in his entourage telling him how great he is, and to just be himself. unfortunately, it doesn't play well on tv, for him. he comes across as cocky and sometimes condescending. who knows? if he was your neighbor, he might be a great guy. but he is up there on "stage" in your home, and people have come to expect more from their tv "friends".
some people just have "it", most don't. it's up to the producers to find someone who's a natural, then give them the vehicle to display their talents.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Sadly, anyone puts themselves in front of a camera, is subjected to public scrutiny (sp?). Then everyone becomes a critic. It seems to go with the territory. It's not as if the public knows these people personally. So, sad to hear the words "Hate" and "Love" when it comes to someone's on-camera facade. Has nothing to do with their cooking ability. IMO, cooking shows have gone too "Hollywood." I don't need a big band & applause for garlic. When I see Emeril doing toothpaste commercials yelling "BAM," have to wonder, is it about money, or cooking. Now, I'll get off my soap box.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

BT, after I typed my response & looked up, there was your post. Good point about producers. We should keep in mind, it's a tv show. Probably scripted & well-rehearsed.When I think about the Iron Chef episodes, have to wonder, didn't they have some planning prior to taping, i.e. what recipes & ingredients would they need, what dishes would they prepare. Somehow, doubt this is a spur of the moment decision, when networks are paying big bucks to put the show on air. Food for thought.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i think everyone should come visit me at work. i'll show you the behind the scenes action. (jim henson's muppeteers are mostly responsible for the evening news and sports... )

you'd be surprised at how much goes into tv to make it look easy, and original.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i think everyone should come visit me at work. i'll show you the behind the scenes action. (jim henson's muppeteers are mostly responsible for the evening news and sports... )

you'd be surprised at how much goes into tv to make it look easy, and original.
Can they cook? So that's where Dan Rather got his news stories.

Could have used those muppets on the movie sets.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
it's all in the personalities i think.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Head Chef

Regardless of how people feel about certain chefs, I love the fact that people can get passionate one way or another about a chef. It tells you a lot about people's love of food and everything that it's about.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

htc, I would say the same characteristic that makes us like, love, dislike, hate those people who are personally in our lives.