What makes you try a new recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Idle chit chat...

I'm curious what everyone looks for when determining whether or not to try a recipe. I bake a lot so 3 out of 4 times, if I see a new recipe, I can tell if I will like it or not just by looking at the recipe, so that's how I determine if I will use a new baking recipe.

As for cooking, I don't use recipes to cook as much, so a lot of times, it's really hit and miss.

There are so many recipes available to all of us now via the internet. How do you weed through them all and determine which ones you will actually try at home?

If I am interersting in trying something new I read several recipes and compare. What I finally end up cooking is often a combination of recipes. I don't do this with baking. Experience has taught me that you need to be careful with measurements when baking.

I tend to cook things that include my favorite ingredients, chicken, fresh herbs, vegetables, ginger, garlic etc.

Pam

i don't really use the actual recipe, but i get ideas by reading through recipes. it kind of depends on what i'm hungry for at the moment, but i usually read meat, seafood and cheese recipes and tuck away the info in my mind for future reference since they are about my favorite things.

I usually start by determining the main ingredient, which 9 times out of 10 is meat. I then look at what other ingredients are included to see what I may have available. I tend to nix the recipes that require me to buy a special ingredient that I know I don't normally use. So if a recipe includes all the ingredients that meet my tastebuds approval I'll give it a shot.

For whatever reason, I'm really a hit & miss baker. =/ I guess it's something I just need to practice. As for "cooking" the absense of meat is the first thing I look for. haha I do eat seafood, so those are quick to catch my eye.

I also try to stick to things that are over all on the healthy side. If it calls for a tub of butter or a gallon of cream, or a can of cream-of-____, it's not something I'll make. I really prefer simple. Don't confuse that for boring though. To me simple just means that the spices, herbs, sauce, etc. compliment rather than overwhelm. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to cook my veggies and good soups.

Most often I'm pretty good about picking out something that I know I'll like. And if it does turn out to be not as good as I thought, it's usually easy to make some changes for the next time to fix that. I like to start with a recipe and try it as written for the first attempt.

:heart:
Z

If I want to make a classic recipe, such as Boeuf Bourguignon, I go to a recipe from someone I respect as an authority. Julia comes to mind for this recipe. After all, as a classic recipe, I think it should be experienced in the classic form so you can determine first hand what made it a classic.

I use that recipe as written. While I'm eating it, I decide if I want to change it in any way to make it better according to my personal taste.

For other dishes, I'll search out up to a dozen versions of a recipe and compare them. I often develop a new version taking ideas from all the others.

When reading or watching new recipes, I decide to make one based on whether I think that combination of ingredients-cooked in that manner- will taste good to me.

Of course, if I've eaten it at someone else's table and really like it, I'll ask for the recipe so I can make it myself.

It depends on what kind of recipe I need. If dessert, then chocolate always intrigues and if a main dish a recipe will just seem right, can't really tell you why.

i try new recipes because of:

1. familiarity of ingredients (in other words, stuff i like to eat).

2. techniques i'm either familiar with and/or have the tools to accomplish it, like the specific pot or pan.

3. trying to make something for my family or friends for a special occasion.

4. something i saw on a cooking show, or in a restaurant that looked or tasted really good (it can get you in trouble if it wasn't on your plate :) ), that i think i could replicate or improve upon at home.

:)
I pick my main ingredient and then start from there. If I'm in the mood for shrimp I'll find a bunch of shrimp recipes and then pick the one that sounds the best to me. I never follow a recipe though. I'm always adding a pinch of this or a slice of that.

Good question htc. I usually will chose a recipe when it contains ingredients I love; ginger, garlic, onions, mild peppers, sage, rosemary, thyme, Itallian parsley, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, 99 % of the cheese in the store. I usually have chicken, pork chops, steak, shrimp, ham and some fish. IMHO you cannot have too many recipes, especially when it comes to chicken.

I follow baking recipes to the max..It was just lately that I've really jumped in and started baking things other than breads and foccacias..Cooking main meals, I've done that long enought to know the likes and dislikes of my gang. When I do a "classic" I follow that recipe to the end. if it's the first time, if we are satisfied, I most likely will leave it be. Some recipes if not exactly nuts over them I'll tweak with different herbs or seasonings. Some recipes I'll use a different meat, in place of the one called for, such as veal marsala..While I like veal, two of my kids will not touch it.. So we use either pork or chicken breasts..

Nice topic...Let's us know each others ways of cooking likes and dislikes..
kadesma

I'm among those like Pam who look up several recipes, then extrapolate to come up with something that will please the taste buds of our guests and us. Although I'm a confirmed omnivore, I am always looking for something interesting in vegetarian and veggie side dishes, so something new in that area catches my attention easily. (Husband and I "eat vegetarian" at least a couple days a week -- good for budget, health, waistline). I don't care to bake, so when I do it is always tried and true recipes (only about ... two! LOL!) so that isn't an issue. We have a "bunch for brunch" (a half-dozen of us), so I do look for interesting additions to brunch for our monthly feasts.

I like to try things familiar but with a twist. I don't go too far out on a limb and try to make things that are mostly homestyle recipes. I've had quite a time finding a recipe for an apple brown betty like I saw Jacques Pepin make the other day. It looked so good and each one I pull up doesn't seem to be as nice as the one he made. I never dreamed there were so many recipes for them and so few in cook books. By the time I find one, I suppose my apples won't be good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom