where do you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing that has bugged me lately is that I haven't used my living room table for a meal. Being in the midwest, I don't know how my local freinds would take it. It is what was called, when I bought it in Hawaii, a Geisha table. In fact, I use it as a coffee table, but is in reality a Japanese dining room table. I used to have dinner parties around it often, but now that I don't live the military life-style, I'm not sure how people would react to having to sit on the floor for dinner (which we did at one time). Haven't eaten a meal around it in years for that reason

I agree with Blue Cat. I have china, silver and crystal, not because I registered, but because I married it. I've often joked that I married my husband because of food, and this is one element of it. My dad was an air force sergeant with four daughters, so you know we lived on a shoe string. But an assignment to Germany put Mom within reach of china and crystal factories, and she slowly (over the three years we were stationed there) built up a large set of china and one of crystal. Almost every sunday all the good stuff came out and we kept our church clothes on and learned proper eating etiquette. Cream Soda makes a great champagne substitute, by the way! When I got older (I'm the eldest) my best freind and I got to have a little glass of wine from a crystal wine decanter (she loves these memories so much she found one exactly like mom's and bought it and trots it out whenever I'm in Denver). It was a big family tradition. And Mom was right, it paid off in the long run. I think my sisters and I can go anywhere, any time, any affair, and not feel uncomfortable. I think when they were young, my parents were intimidated by some of the formal affairs they attended in the military, and wanted to make sure us girls wouldn't be. Anyway, the slightest drop of the hat brings out "the good stuff" (at least several times a month, more often in the winter). Some of my younger freinds are astonished to walk in to a table set to the nines. My youngest freind (4 years old) loves to be able to light the candelabra. I'm with Mom and Blue Cat; if you've got it, trot the stuff out and use it. Well worth a broken plate or two to sit down and feel like a queen in your own home.

He is teasing me..meaning if I don't break them ,someone else will. :mrgreen: The movers did break a teacup on a move. That is the set I have had since 1951.

That's exactly right Claire. I didn't register for china either. It was something I saved for and bought over the years. I use it more in the fall and winter too, probably because I cook more roasts and sit-down type meals at that time of year. It makes a meal at home feel special.

BC

Normally my family and I always eat together in the dining room. But our teen son like's to eat in his room (drives me nuts...lol). And our two little ones like eating at my breakfast table in the kitchen. I'm putting in new carpets, so I am gettting the kids not to eat in the family/living rooms....but I do it myself once in awhile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom