"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I cannot tell you what wines to pair with what foods. At first I liked red wine, beaujolais, which is light, but later had my tastes set on white wine. Still to this day I dont pair my food and wine, I just eat what I like, and drink whatever wine I like, which is always pinogrigio. I used to drink Chardonnay but its heavy for me compared to pinogrigio. Im not a wine snob at all. I just have become set in my ways with what I like

Old 04-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Ok, I think that I am in the minority here. How did you all come to like/love various wines? I've tried a couple here and there (some sort of Chianti, a dessert wine, pink stuff and white stuff). As you can see, I don't have ANY knowledge of the stuff, only whether or not it tastes good.

I can handle drinking it sometimes when I'm not eating, but I actually think drinking wine ruins my meal. I've tried the whole eat a steak and have red wine thing and it just didn't do it for me. It ruined my wonderful steak, so I stopped drinking it!

Could it be because I am not used to it?? **side note, I don't drink much alcohol AT ALL due to the tasted. The few times I do drink, it's a foo foo drink that's blended.
I don't like wine with my meals either. However I like wine with salty snacks,crackers,and cheese.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Hey, htc, don't feel bad because you don't like wine/alcohol. Everone's tastes differ. Remember that fool president we had a while back who didn't like broccoli? I find it delicious - when properly steamed. But I voted for him. He wasn't all bad.
(Come to think of it, he wasn't much good, either!)
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoot
Hey, htc, don't feel bad because you don't like wine/alcohol. Everone's tastes differ. Remember that fool president we had a while back who didn't like broccoli? I find it delicious - when properly steamed. But I voted for him. He wasn't all bad.
(Come to think of it, he wasn't much good, either!)
Oh yeh!.......how about creamed broccoli on toast with a glass of chardonnay.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Here is a good guide to use for matching foods with wine. However go with what you like.

http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/foodn...e_matching.asp
Old 04-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Im trying to educate myself as a beer and spirits nerd... and killing my brain in the process. But with all seriosness I consider beer to be a more rewarding educational venture than wine. Same goes for spirits but since I've started tasting good alcohol I cant really do mixed drinks any more... geez Im becoming a snob.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I know where you are coming from .....I am a beer snob.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM   #18
Master Chef

i'm not a beer snob. if i have money, i buy Heineken, Guiness, Beck's Dark, or St. Pauli Girl Dk.
if i'm having wings i drink Coors light.
if i'm broke, i'll usually stick with the Coors light.

as for hard liqour, i drink Absolut or Skyy. i tend to drink it straight, so i buy top shelf. Jauquin's and Absolut are from 2 different worlds when you're drinking vodka straight. for mixed drinks, though, i don't much care.
other than that, i love captain mo and anything else my BF
recommends; he used to own a bar and went to bartending school and knows far more than me.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have gottin away from the watered down,flavorless american lagers and pilsners. I love the ports,amber ales,wheat beers,and stouts.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Looks like I touched a chord with this wine snob thing, didn't I? Fun!

As for booze generally, for years I drank (spirit-wise) nothing but I.W. Harper 100 proof boned - straight. It had a really nice, clean flavor and aftertaste. Real "sippin' whiskey"! Then the distillery was sold to some Japanese interest, and they blew it! Now it's tquila: Orendain Ollitas Reposado. Not available in the States - have to run down to Tijuana for it. Not expensive, but. in my opinion, as good or better than the stuff costing an arm and a leg! And I find Mexican beer - especially Carta Blanca - more to my liking than U.S. beers, which have lost all character.

Recently went to a micro-brewery for a steak dinner (great) and ordered their best lager. Unbelievable!!! No head at all, even when stirred. Indescribable taste - pure yuck!

I have a rather extensive bar at home: bourbon, whiskey, whisky, vodka, gin, tequla, mezcal, saki,.....but nobody I know drinks anymore. So I'm stuck with it! Fortunately, almost all was given to me at various times, so no investment involved. But I really don't enjoy drinking alone. So there it sits - I have a shot of tequila maybe once a week, or maybe a beer on a really hot day or with a mexican lunch.

Speaking of Portugal and Port wine, I dear friend (RIP) was on the last voyage of the Queen Mary from Lisbon. A bottle of Port was a souvenier of the voyage. Upon her demise, I inherited the Port. Some fifty or so years later. Gawd, it was awful!

Then my sister who, with her husband, lived aboard their schooner, the Gypsy Clipper, for almost 50 years. Again, on their demise, I inherited an unopened bottle of Mezcal (including the worm) some 40+ years after it was purchased during a Mexico voyage. Knowing nothing about Mezcal, I offered it to a shot to a Mexican friend, and took one myself. Yuck!

So much for aged booze!