Wine Snobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oldcoot said:
Looks like I touched a chord with this wine snob thing, didn't I? Fun!

Mexican beer - especially Carta Blanca - more to my liking than U.S. beers, which have lost all character.

Recently went to a micro-brewery for a steak dinner (great) and ordered their best lager. Unbelievable!!! No head at all, even when stirred. Indescribable taste - pure yuck!

!

You must try these offerings and get away form the American Pilsners and Lagers. Those styles have no flavour or body to them.
This brewery makes excellent beer but it cost about $9 per six pack. Try the porter ....very tasty:excl: Your local beer store can order it.

http://www.sierranevada.com/index2.asp

Last edited:
I'm with you on the foo-foo drinks htc. I haven't liked any of the red wines I have tried, and I don't know if I have ever even tried white. I do marinate chicken in sherry, and I have had champagne a few times. I am still willing to try new ones, and I'm sure that if I try some better quality ones than I have had, I might like some of them. I don't care for the taste of alcohol, as a rule.

Speaking of rules, I find it hilarious that a drink would come with "rules!" LOL Yes, I know they are just guidelines, and I do think that some things naturally taste better with certain things. I think it is fine to let people know what you think tastes good with what, but to look down on someone because they don't follow the rules (ie., no wine with bleu cheese) is ridiculous.

The same goes with food. A lot of people would never think of eating something as "lowly" as meatloaf or tuna-noodle casserole. I think they don't know what they are missing!

And if you want to drink wine with your bleu cheese, or for that matter, Kool-Aid with your Chateaubriand, who cares?! Eat and drink what you want. It is your taste buds you need to please, not a bunch of snobs!

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Geez oldcoot I had forgotten that carta blanca existed, and I was raised in Mexico. Your right about Mexican beers... we make some dang cheep stuff but at least we have an "uninterrupted" tradition unlike the US where the prohibition caused people to start again from scartch and lose all artesany.

Glad to see a fellow tequila drinker as well... in america (Im way up in boston) all I buy is 1800 reposado but I like young tequilas (white ones) as well. Great choice on the other spirits too. I've adquired a taste for smirnoff too... affordable and it goes easy on the rocks. It's not Vox or anything but it is really nice.

Btw do you like Negra Modelo? It's my Mexican beer of choice and if you ever cross into tijuana around the holidays try to score yourself a six of "nochebuena". It's magical but it only comes out once a year.

One last thing... which sake do you drink?

Oldcoot, I read that you mentioned takillya. Have you ever had Hurra Durra? Primo stuff! Very good! It goes for something stupid like 40 bucks for a fifth here but I picked up a bottle in Cozumel for 8 bucks a few years back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom