"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 06-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
Master Chef

your saying?

which saying do you use the most?
the one that's ingrained into me is, 'plumb dam*it'.
i trip over something, i say it. i spill something, i say it louder. i choke on something, i squeak it out in a whiskey voice between bits of food flying from my mouth. cat pukes on my sneakers? 'plumb **** it!!!'
fiance hangs up on me? 'plumb jerk!' plumb **** it!'
computer freezes up? 'plumb **** it!'
my other one is 'oops.'
i'm good at oopsing.
throw a piece of cheese to the kitty and it lands on his forehead? 'OOPS!'
get eggshell fragments in my scrambled eggs? 'OOPS!'
lose my remote control?
'OOPS!'
i've got my Brother and my fiance (plumb jerk) saying, 'plumb' now and both my Parents saying 'OOPS!'

Old 06-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Luvs I have been trying and trying to think of something that I say a lot the only thing I can think of is oops. After seeing the moving Independence Day (loved it), I started saying oops. Growing up we didn't dare say **** or anything worse than that. We might get a darn it out once in a while as long as it wasn't directed towards something my mother, father or grandparents said or directed us to do. I have never really cursed and I am glad that I haven't. :) Now when I hear someone talking and every other word is f*** this or s*** that I really dislike it. Thank goodness most people know that I don't curse and are very careful with what they say around me. Sometimes it is nice getting older. :)

Old 06-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

lol, char, isn't 'oops' a great word? it counterracts mistakes so beautifully.
you don't swear? tee-hee, you should hear the profanities i can utter when i'm angry at my fiance or my brother. words i'm not so very sure i know i knew come spewing out.
but generally i stick to the very mild profanities.
i don't know if getting older really changes swearing habits, lol... you should have heard this old lady i knew.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Sous Chef

My mom's favorite (and use to be my grandmother's too) is dagnabit :) As for the old ladies swearing? I would probably have been very rude because I know my jaw would have dropped open. Guess I am an old fuddie duddie when it comes to swearing. Why say an expletive when you can say the same thing with normal words. If I am upset or angry at something, all you have to do is look at my face. Am afraid that I normally can't hide what I am thinking by my expression. If I turn away or cover my face it is because of the expression that I am making. :) Have been known to stick my tongue out at my boss when his back was turned too. :) Childish? yep, satisfying? yep :)
Old 06-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
my favorites are...
I know nothing ( when asked if i could keep a secret )
You're a dork ( i pretty much call everyone a dork at one time or another )
and last but not least ( i might catch heck from this too )...

I'm not a racist. I hate all a******s equally.

I say Oh S**t quite frequently. don't know why but i do.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

LOL @ the cheese on kitty's forehead

Like the "oops" from Independence Day, one of my commonly used words comes from a movie. In the movie Cold Mountain, Renee Zellweger played a no-nonsense mountain woman who frequently ended conversations with "aw'ight then..." and then just turning and walking away. It was funny. So, ever since then, both my girlfriend and I say "aw'ight" pretty frequently (not really even as a two syllable word... more of a bent one syllable one if that makes sense).

I don't know why, but I also use the word "NICE" in a very sarcastic way.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I dont use this saying as much as I did when my daughter was little and had friends over. I used to say to them " the mess you make is the mess you clean" ( it worked too!)
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

F*ck it.

As in: Chef, we just got a walk-in 12 pax (on a busy night).

Me: F*ck it. Get them started and we'll pump the food out.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Cook

My favorite saying is: "Whatever".

It's cool because it can be used in different contexts and with different enunciations such as:

"Whaaaat-ever"
"What-ever"
"What-eeeeeever"
Old 06-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Ironchef - Lol, oh I remember those nights - like a private party of 35 that the hostess 'forgot' to put on the board to alert everyone - who all ordered cesar salads - being the pantry person, I was borrowing prep tables, the ice cream station, the little Mexican dishwasher, to get them all plated!

Those of you in the South will recognize one of my faves - 'Do what?' whenever you can't hear something.

And somewhere along the way I picked up 'yepper' for yes -have no clue where, tho!