Cat's 10 Questions For My DC Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh no! These family possessions went to missing in WWII? I am so sorry. Many Romanian things of families went to missing in Germany also. It was a terrible war. I could say worst of this war but Mamma needs me to be nice here.

With love,
~Cat
No worries and don't be sorry Cat. It was life back then. As you are in journalism, you probably would be interested when Mrs Dawg and I were arrested in Stamora Germana by the Romanian border police. :ROFLMAO:

No worries and don't be sorry Cat. It was life back then. As you are in journalism, you probably would be interested when Mrs Dawg and I were arrested in Stamora Germana by the Romanian border police. :ROFLMAO:

Huh? I think the rest of us would be interested too, RJ! Do tell!

What happened?! I am sure this is not funny. Please tell me! A family member of ours was shot and killed by them. It was DA's older cousin.

With love,
~Cat

Yes, I'm always interested in such stories. My paternal Grandmother came from Czechoslovakia, as a young lady, during or after WWI and I always wished I could have gotten her to tell her story. She never told her children, either.

Some of these stories are very hard to tell of. DA lost her cousin in 1943. It took them 16 years through the government to find his body. He was in a mass grave and there was no telling of who was whom there.

Maybe such things as this has prevented your Grandmother from speaking of it, PrincessFiona. I do not know of her history, however.

With love,
~Cat

Yes, I'm always interested in such stories. My paternal Grandmother came from Czechoslovakia, as a young lady, during or after WWI and I always wished I could have gotten her to tell her story. She never told her children, either.
Maybe she had secrets, like my grandmother. She was a foreign student at the university in Moscow and got arrested in a student demonstration in ~1906. When her grandchildren found out, the reaction was, "Way to go Granny!" But, she was embarrassed and wouldn't talk about it. :LOL:

Last edited:
Maybe she had secrets, like my grandmother. She was a foreign student at the university in Moscow and got arrested in a student demonstration in ~1906. When her grandchildren found out, the reaction was, "Way to go Granny!" But, she was embarrassed and wouldn't talk about it. :LOL:

LOL! Never thought of that, her secret life started here, as far as we know. Lots of skeletons in her closet...

This is very possible. There are still many secrets of that time.

With love,
~Cat

What happened?! I am sure this is not funny. Please tell me! A family member of ours was shot and killed by them. It was DA's older cousin.

With love,
~Cat

A bit of background, my maternal grandparents were born (1903 & 1905) in the Banat region of Austria-Hungary in the small village of Zichydorf. (now called Plandište, Serbia)
My Gr Gr Gr grandfather left Kirrberg Germany around 1815 because Austria-Hungary was giving away free land for farming. They first settled in Lovrin (now in Romania) and two years later moved to Zichydorf.

At the end of WW1 Austria-Hungary collapsed and their area became the Kingdom of Serbs, Coats and Slovenes. Soon afterwards, life became very difficult for anyone of German heritage so my grandparents, along with my grandmothers' brother and sister, made their way to Iserlohn Germany.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Yugoslavia
In 1929 my grandfather applied for a land grant in Saskatchewan which was accepted so he packed up Oma, my mother and my uncle and they made their way to Halifax and then on to Regina.

So, back to my story. I was building my family tree and was missing a lot of information. Things just weren't spoken about when I was growing up.
We were in Germany 1998 visiting family and had planned to go to Serbia to do some family research. We met up with another couple from Canada and my cousin and his wife and flew from Frankfurt to Belgrade.

We rented a van in Belgrade and spent the better part of two weeks traveling around to different villages photographing cemetery headstones and trying to get access to different church records.

We left Zichydorf one morning and crossed into Romania at the Moravita border crossing planning to make our way to Lovrin. We stopped for lunch in Stamora Germana. We payed the bill and went out to the parking lot where we found two border police officers going over our van.
They asked us what we were doing in Romania and we explained our family research trip. They spoke to each other for a few minutes when one of them told us that our purpose wasn't allowed and that we would have to follow them back to the border. At the border they photocopied our passports and after about an hour we were told to leave the country.
Maybe not really arrested.....lets say detained.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Yugoslavia

Like soldiers returning from war, some things are too difficult to talk about. :angel:

My DIL was born and raised in Albania during the Communist Regime. Her family was of the privileged class only because her grandparents had the good sense to make sure their daughter got an excellent education and learned to speak seven different languages fluently. And they married her off to a soldier in the Russian Army. Even though my DIL parents didn't embrace the Doctrine of the Party, they kept their noses clean and as soon as travel was possible, they sent my DIL along with a girlfriend to America to marry another Albanian. What they didn't know was that the two men were gay. So there they were in a strange land all alone. Fortunately there is a strong Albanian community in this country and they took the two of them under their wing. My DIL speaks five languages and is in International Banking. She had no problem finding a job. On the side she did waitressing work. That is where she met my son. By then her mother had come over and she lived with her until the wedding. I absolutely adore my DIL and her family. They took my son in while he was in medical school and the only dark note is that her father could not get his papers in time to come here for the wedding. But my son learned Albanian and right after the wedding he called her father to tell him they were married. He is here now, but had a hard time at first. He didn't speak any English and there is not much call for a Russian soldier. So work was very hard to come by for him.

They too do not talk about living under Communist Rule. :angel:

A bit of background, my maternal grandparents were born (1903 & 1905) in the Banat region of Austria-Hungary in the small village of Zichydorf. (now called Plandište, Serbia)
My Gr Gr Gr grandfather left Kirrberg Germany around 1815 because Austria-Hungary was giving away free land for farming. They first settled in Lovrin (now in Romania) and two years later moved to Zichydorf.

At the end of WW1 Austria-Hungary collapsed and their area became the Kingdom of Serbs, Coats and Slovenes. Soon afterwards, life became very difficult for anyone of German heritage so my grandparents, along with my grandmothers' brother and sister, made their way to Iserlohn Germany.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Yugoslavia
In 1929 my grandfather applied for a land grant in Saskatchewan which was accepted so he packed up Oma, my mother and my uncle and they made their way to Halifax and then on to Regina.

So, back to my story. I was building my family tree and was missing a lot of information. Things just weren't spoken about when I was growing up.
We were in Germany 1998 visiting family and had planned to go to Serbia to do some family research. We met up with another couple from Canada and my cousin and his wife and flew from Frankfurt to Belgrade.

We rented a van in Belgrade and spent the better part of two weeks traveling around to different villages photographing cemetery headstones and trying to get access to different church records.

We left Zichydorf one morning and crossed into Romania at the Moravita border crossing planning to make our way to Lovrin. We stopped for lunch in Stamora Germana. We payed the bill and went out to the parking lot where we found two border police officers going over our van.
They asked us what we were doing in Romania and we explained our family research trip. They spoke to each other for a few minutes when one of them told us that our purpose wasn't allowed and that we would have to follow them back to the border. At the border they photocopied our passports and after about an hour we were told to leave the country.
Maybe not really arrested.....lets say detained.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Yugoslavia

I see. This is not a surprise. I am sorry this happened to you. I am sorry these Romanians did this to you.

My former country is not very nice sometimes, and I do apologize for this. I am sorry of this and I apologize.

With love,
~Cat

I see. This is not a surprise. I am sorry this happened to you. I am sorry these Romanians did this to you.

My former country is not very nice sometimes, and I do apologize for this. I am sorry of this and I apologize.

With love,
~Cat
Nothing to apologize for Cat.

I'm not from DC, I'm from the UK. But I'm doing this because I like doing these. Plus I'm new on here, might as well get known. :')

1. What is your favorite color? Don't you mean 'colour'? ;) Green.

2. Do you keep a daily journal? That was something I tried to do when I was younger, but I could never keep on top of it, so I just gave up on that.

3. Out from all of your possessions, which one is the favorite of these? In general; my iPod, that's bad, I know. Sentimental; my charm bracelet.

4. Do you like the regular books or the ebooks on a tablet such as Nook, etc.? Books. My iPod is rather small so it's hard to read e books.

5. What kinds of items do you collect? I don't really collect anything. Maybe I should start, I might cash in on them sometime in the future.

6. Do you like to fly in airplanes? The last time I boarded an aeroplane was in 1999 when I was 8 years old. A lot has happened since then, so I reckon I'd be quite nervous getting on one now.

7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? Tiaras? Wow, I didn't know families had them in their jewellery…

8. Do you play any of musical instruments? I can sort of play guitar, I've just bought a keyboard and I'm trying to learn how to play that.

9. If you could change one thing of history, what would it be? Nothing. Sure there's been so many bad things that have happened in the past, but just one small change could ruin a thousand things in the present.

10. What television series do you like to watch? Too many. I've watched all of Breaking Bad, that has to be my favourite. Or Weeds. (I'm not a drug addict, I promise!)

1. What is your favorite color? Yellow.
2. Do you keep a daily journal? Very occasionally.
3. Out from all of your possessions, which one is the favorite of these? My wedding band. Only taken it off twice in almost 12 years, once for surgery, and once when it cracked and had to be repaired.
4. Do you like the regular books or the ebooks on a tablet such as Nook, etc.? I like both, but will never get sick of the smell of the real thing :)
5. What kinds of items do you collect? Aprons and recipes/cookbooks
6. Do you like to fly in airplanes? Yes
7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? None. Lots of guns, no family jewellery
8. Do you play any of musical instruments? Used to, but not any more
9. If you could change one thing of history, what would it be? I don't know what if anything I would change. Spiderweb theory, that you cut a string over here, something that seems completely unrelated over there changes as well, sometimes making things even worse.
10. What television series do you like to watch? No tv really, occasional cooking shows while folding laundry. We actually don't have cable or satellite, so depends what I download

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom