Cat's 10 Questions For My DC Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cat, your question about tiaras today gave me some thought. As I mentioned, my granddaughter has a stack of tiaras. No real jewels in any of them. Just rhinestones. So I got to thinking.

My g'daughter doesn't even look at her tiaras anymore. So I am going to approach my daughter and have her suggest that she donate them to the Children's Hospital or where ever they treat children with cancer in this city. Some of the treatments these kids go through are horrendous and very painful. So when a girl has been brave and not made too much of a fuss about the treatment, she can wear a tiara for the day. Doesn't every little girl dream of wearing one? I wish I could come up with something of the like for the boys. But these are girly tiaras and I do feel they would not take too kindly to wearing one. A lot of the tiaras are adjustable so can be made smaller for a child's head. Most of them have combs attached. They would have to be removed as most of the kids have lost their hair.

Thank you for asking that question. :angel:

Cat, your question about tiaras today gave me some thought. As I mentioned, my granddaughter has a stack of tiaras. No real jewels in any of them. Just rhinestones. So I got to thinking.

My g'daughter doesn't even look at her tiaras anymore. So I am going to approach my daughter and have her suggest that she donate them to the Children's Hospital or where ever they treat children with cancer in this city. Some of the treatments these kids go through are horrendous and very painful. So when a girl has been brave and not made too much of a fuss about the treatment, she can wear a tiara for the day. Doesn't every little girl dream of wearing one? I wish I could come up with something of the like for the boys. But these are girly tiaras and I do feel they would not take too kindly to wearing one. A lot of the tiaras are adjustable so can be made smaller for a child's head. Most of them have combs attached. They would have to be removed as most of the kids have lost their hair.

Thank you for asking that question. :angel:

Oh Addie! Yes! God bless you, my dear friend. I think this is a very good idea! Of course the little girls must feel very special with this!

I am so proud of you for thinking of this. I did not. Let the little ones, the poor sick ones, wear a nice tiara. Thank you so very much of thinking of this!

With love,
~Cat

7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? None that I know of, although my niece may have some with her princess outfits. We don't have royalty in this country, so tiaras aren't common. Is it common in Romania for families to have tiaras?

It is for the aristocratic families such as ours. For example, the late Princess Diana had her family's Spencer tiara she wore along with the Cambridge tiara the Queen gave to her.

When I become married someday, I shall wear one of these tiaras. It is the symbol of the family with very much history with it.

Thank you for your answers!

Your friend,
~Cat

Interesting. Because I have too much time on my hands and am endlessly curious about things ;), I Googled Romanian royalty and, lo and behold, it still exists! Royalty survived Communism!

Are you familiar with James Michener? He's one of my favorite novelists - he writes massive historical novels and I have learned much about history from reading them. One of my favorites, since DH's father's family is Polish, is "Poland," which is all about the experiences of three families of different social levels through 1,000 years of history. Here's a description:

The families are from different levels of society: the Lubonskis are perennial magnates or overlords, becoming increasingly important among the decisionmakers of pre-1918 Poland; the Bukowskis are originally the lieges or knights owing allegiance to the Lubonskis; and the Buks are serfs and later peasants living in the Krakow region, to which most Polish-Americans trace their roots.

Would your aristocratic family have been similar to the magnates, or the knights?

One of the things I've always remembered from that book is how, at feasting time, all parts of animals were used by members of each level of the families. The magnate would have cows and pigs slaughtered and the best cuts - loins and tenderloins - would be served to their family and friends; the next best, tougher cuts like shoulders and hams, would go to the second-level families, and the leftovers and offal - heads, tails, feet and organs - went to the serfs/peasants, and that family primarily made the famous kielbasa sausages, as well as stews. Fascinating stuff.

Interesting. Because I have too much time on my hands and am endlessly curious about things ;), I Googled Romanian royalty and, lo and behold, it still exists! Royalty survived Communism!

Are you familiar with James Michener? He's one of my favorite novelists - he writes massive historical novels and I have learned much about history from reading them. One of my favorites, since DH's father's family is Polish, is "Poland," which is all about the experiences of three families of different social levels through 1,000 years of history. Here's a description:

Would your aristocratic family have been similar to the magnates, or the knights?

One of the things I've always remembered from that book is how, at feasting time, all parts of animals were used by members of each level of the families. The magnate would have cows and pigs slaughtered and the best cuts - loins and tenderloins - would be served to their family and friends; the next best, tougher cuts like shoulders and hams, would go to the second-level families, and the leftovers and offal - heads, tails, feet and organs - went to the serfs/peasants, and that family primarily made the famous kielbasa sausages, as well as stews. Fascinating stuff.

Yes! You have done the homework very well. And yes, our royalty did survive the Communism.

My family is not of the Rockefellers, or the Vanderbilts, or the Kennedys, but a little bit lower which is the aristocracy of Romania. We do have two homes. The main home is in Brasov near the famous Tihuta Pass, and the other is a vacation villa in Constanta, on the shores of the Black Sea.

You did very well with this! Romanian aristocratic families often do own one or more tiaras in the family's treasures. These are worn to very formal events or when visiting heads of state.

With love,
~Cat

Yes! You have done the homework very well. And yes, our royalty did survive the Communism.

My family is not of the Rockefellers, or the Vanderbilts, or the Kennedys, but a little bit lower which is the aristocracy of Romania. We do have two homes. The main home is in Brasov near the famous Tihuta Pass, and the other is a vacation villa in Constanta, on the shores of the Black Sea.

You did very well with this! Romanian aristocratic families often do own one or more tiaras in the family's treasures. These are worn to very formal events or when visiting heads of state.

With love,
~Cat

I saw in your other thread that your mother is understandably concerned about your sharing pictures of your home on the internet. It would be fun, though, to see pictures of your family's tiaras, if that's okay with her. I visited London once and was fascinated with the royal jewels on display in the Tower.

Yes, Mamma is very concerned. But I do not have the tiaras with me. I shall ask her of this, and let us see what she will say to this.

In America, no one wears the family tiaras to special events, so I was sent here with none.

I want to see the royal jewels someday!

I do not know, but it may be possible to put to Google the Hohenzollern Patrescu Romanian family tiaras possibly of a search. I do know there are many photographs taken of these but I have not seen these of the Internet. I may do such a search now. I had not thought of this before this.

With love,
~Cat

No, these are not of those of the pictures. I am sorry!

I shall ask Mamma for to get some pictures if she shall allow it.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, when you said that we do not wear tiaras here in America, you were right. It is only those who like to be pretentious will wear one trying to impress others.

When you become a citizen of America, you give up your right to any foreign titles. But that doesn't matter, because in your heart you know from whence you came. You can always tell your story to those who think they are better than others. Because your story is true. And it will take them down a peg or two.

When I lived in Tacoma, I used to type up papers for some of the students at Pacific Lutheran University. Students from all over the world attend there. Some from some very rich families. They found out sometimes the hard way, that their title or family money didn't matter in this country. Only their own accomplishments. :angel:

Cat, when you said that we do not wear tiaras here in America, you were right. It is only those who like to be pretentious will wear one trying to impress others.

:angel:

Whatcha talking about, Addie? I'm wearing my tiara right now! And doing laundry.

1. What is your favorite color? Red

2. Do you keep a daily journal? No. I tried several times but never developed the habit.

3. Out from all of your possessions, which one is the favorite of these? I guess I have several favorites. My wedding rings, my opal ring and my ruby and diamond ring. The first for obvious reasons, my opal ring was the first thing I bought myself after graduating from nursing school, and the ruby and diamond ring my husband bought for me (ruby is his birthstone and diamond is mine) for my 40th birthday.

4. Do you like the regular books or the ebooks on a tablet such as Nook, etc.? I like both. I have a kindle which I like to travel with since I can use it to read and check email! It is also so much easier to pack than 2 or 3 books.

5. What kinds of items do you collect? I collect angel figurines.

6. Do you like to fly in airplanes? Yes I like to fly but it's too expensive and I'd rather not endure the searching etc that goes on these days to board. It must be a big jet though. Those little planes are scary and make me sick.

7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? None. We're just common folk here.

8. Do you play any of musical instruments? Yes. I play guitar also (but am rusty) and handbells. I have played clarinet, saxophone, bass clarinet, and dulcimer in the past but not since high school.

9. If you could change one thing of history, what would it be? That's a tough one. There are so many things that have happened. As far as world history I'd leave that alone. Personal history, I would want to change my mother's health and have her not get cancer. I miss her so much especially now that my son is getting married and she's not here to help celebrate.

10. What television series do you like to watch? I never miss NCIS. I will even watch episode reruns over other shows these days.

Thank you, Addie! I do not own a title, nor does my family. I think you mean of "Lady" or "Princess."

Uckkkkkk! Titles seem to be so stuffy. I'm just Cat.

There are classmates whose parents are very rich. These classmates (but not all of them) are rude and very arrogant. They are in university because it is what they are supposed to do and do not study hard and they do not make the best grades. They say they do not have to work in life because they are rich.

I shall go to the opposite way. I shall get a job when I finish college. I do not have a job now because I was put away from the job I had, but I am applying to places to work on the weekends.

And you are very right, Addie. I came from a trash can. I always know this. I have told some of the classmates of this, and they were so very nice to me about it. One nice girl even hugged me and said she was glad I was found! And she is one of the nice ones with rich parents. But she wants to work very hard after college to be a music teacher.

I ask God every day to never let me forget where I came from and I always ask His help for me to be a successful American citizen. And if I achieve very good goals, I might one day write a book of it. I have thought of this. I have an idea of a title of it: "From Romania to the Shores of America" or something like this.

I believe that if I am good and honest and if I work very hard, I shall be successful. I do know I have family money but I did not earn it, so I do spend very little of it. Just because a child exists does not mean the world and their family owe them everything. It is the exact opposite of this. I owe God, the world, my family, and my country to try to be the very best citizen I can.

I am also so very grateful for everything I have. You perhaps might not believe this, but I have four dresses and even two jeans! I also have three skirts and two blouses and three t-shirts! And two pair of shoes and a pair of warm winter boots, a light jacket, a sweater, a heavy coat and two pair of shorts that are long almost to my knee. Such riches are these! But it does not take much of the space in my closet. American closets are enormous!

Oh I have posted too much. Addie I thank you for your kindness to me. You have so very much you are experiencing in your life, yet you find the time for me. You are so very nice.

And the same can be said for all my website family here. I thank all of you also for being so very good to me. DA knows of this website and I read the postings to her. She said she also likes my family here.

I do not remember if I told you of this, but I read the postings to her when I told that I was adopted. Some of these made her have tears and she said the website is very full of very good people.

I think I have babbled too much!

With love,
~Cat

1. What is your favorite color? Red

2. Do you keep a daily journal? No. I tried several times but never developed the habit.

3. Out from all of your possessions, which one is the favorite of these? I guess I have several favorites. My wedding rings, my opal ring and my ruby and diamond ring. The first for obvious reasons, my opal ring was the first thing I bought myself after graduating from nursing school, and the ruby and diamond ring my husband bought for me (ruby is his birthstone and diamond is mine) for my 40th birthday.

4. Do you like the regular books or the ebooks on a tablet such as Nook, etc.? I like both. I have a kindle which I like to travel with since I can use it to read and check email! It is also so much easier to pack than 2 or 3 books.

5. What kinds of items do you collect? I collect angel figurines.

6. Do you like to fly in airplanes? Yes I like to fly but it's too expensive and I'd rather not endure the searching etc that goes on these days to board. It must be a big jet though. Those little planes are scary and make me sick.

7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? None. We're just common folk here.

8. Do you play any of musical instruments? Yes. I play guitar also (but am rusty) and handbells. I have played clarinet, saxophone, bass clarinet, and dulcimer in the past but not since high school.

9. If you could change one thing of history, what would it be? That's a tough one. There are so many things that have happened. As far as world history I'd leave that alone. Personal history, I would want to change my mother's health and have her not get cancer. I miss her so much especially now that my son is getting married and she's not here to help celebrate.

10. What television series do you like to watch? I never miss NCIS. I will even watch episode reruns over other shows these days.

Thank you so very much, jabbur! It is nice to know of you!

With love,
~Cat

I want a photo of this!

With love,
~Cat

Here ya go, Cat!

image-4181519643.jpg

Oh no, I forgot how to do a curtsey.

That is a beautiful tiara! She has such lovely jewelry.

With love,
~Cat

I'm sorry, but I can't put pictures of certain pieces of jewelry online. Anyone could see them and make replicas of them. However, I did see a very close replica of one of ours. This is the one I wore at my wedding, and I'll try to find it and send it to Cat.

Posting the picture of the ring is fine, though. It is not an exclusive design. But I do like Katie H's wedding set. How unusual! It is very lovely. Sapphires are beautiful.

MammaCat

1. What is your favorite color? Tie between purple and black

2. Do you keep a daily journal? I used to, not now

3. Out from all of your possessions, which one is the favorite of these? My silver stingray necklace

4. Do you like the regular books or the ebooks on a tablet such as Nook, etc.? I have 2 Kindles, a Paperwhite and the 2nd generation that has a waterproof cover to use in the pool. They travel so well!

5. What kinds of items do you collect? I used to collect David Winter cottages, but the cleaning lady dumped the shelf they were on, and now they're all chipped. I have a huge collection of my deceased mother's costume jewelry. I also used to collect frogs.

6. Do you like to fly in airplanes? Can't say I like it, but it gets me where I want to go, and much faster than walking

7. How many tiaras are in your family jewelry? I think I have one of Mom's.

8. Do you play any of musical instruments? I used to play piano (badly), as well as clarinet and bassoon (also badly)

9. If you could change one thing of history, what would it be? The Vietnam war

10. What television series do you like to watch? Big Bang Theory!

Last edited:
Dawgluver, I used to play the clarinet too. I was probably worse than you! I still have mine and I bring it out now and then to play it.

MammaCat

Back
Top Bottom