"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Cats on the table

I rescued 2 cats a couple years ago, and they are very sweet..

but I draw the line at them thinking they can get on the Kithchen table while I'm eating!...

I think they are trying to take over the house now..

Dear Spouse said Buy a Sqiurt Gun..

do they still sell those?

Eric, Austin Tx.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Master Chef

Old 05-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

you just gave me an ear worm...
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I don't know if they still sell squirt guns. I'd go to the toy store and check out the Star Wars section and get a replica super soaker. That'll show 'em.

I could have a similar dilemma. I allow the girls on the table Except during meal times. My kitchen eating area is surrounded by windows on 3 sides, so I pushed the table against the double windows, better for them to check out the bird feeders in the back yard. They can easily jump across to a side board as well. My oldest is too old to jump on the table direct, so I keep a chair pulled out for her to make it up there. If I am too lazy to swab the deck before dinner, I just use place mats.

At dinner, it's no feet on the table. Now that could be too confusing for them. How I handle it is to feed them just before I make up my own plate. They are busy for a few minutes and then they are off for after dinner baths and preening.

I do Not allow them on the kitchen counters, and there is no reason for them to jump up there nor did I ever think they ever did so. I never heard a thump if they jumped down again. Well, you know they are inquisitive.

I once put a new stick of butter on a plate and set it inside a cupboard. Come time to use it and I thought that's funny, why are the edges completely rounded on one end instead of it being squared off. Then I heard a cupboard door slam pretty soon after, and my doors are heavy. Little Miss light on her feet but growing bigger in the belly by the minute was a busy girl. Except in summer, I like to keep the butter out of the fridge. Now I store it in the microwave, since they haven't figured how to open that door. Yet.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Head Chef

We just use a squirt bottle like you would use in the garden to mist plants or a hairdresser would use to lightly mist your hair. You can find them in either the garden section or beauty section at places like K-mart, Wal-mart, etc.

You may be able to train the cats to stay off the table, counters when you aren't around but I guarantee you they are up there when you aren't around to see them. We have a bay-type window behind the sink in the new place and Mindy likes to get up there and bird watch, if she can't get out on the screen porch. We've found her up there several times.

Even the pugs, or at least 1 of them, has managed to get on the counter. The other day I was putting the last of the roast chicken away and had pulled the breast off the carcass and put it on a plate, but still had some other chicken meat to pull off when Craig needed me to help him with something outside. When I came back, knew something was wrong but it took me a couple of seconds to realize the breast was gone. I had stupidly left the chair I sit in to prep food close to the counter and my little Strider man decided to help himself. That also explained the dog fight I heard while I was outside. At least he couldn't reach the carcass. We have actually seen him push the chair closer to the counter on previous occasions so he could jump up in it and see what was going on.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

When you aren't home, cover your table and/or counters with aluminium foil. Cats HATE that!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
When you aren't home, cover your table and/or counters with aluminium foil. Cats HATE that!
Depends on the cat. We had one that would lay on foil.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
you just gave me an ear worm...
Yeah, me too!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We had two cockers, one who was a bit light in the brains department, and a dalmation, who was the muscle. Had one of those chocolate segmented oranges they sell here around Christmas time, up on the counter. Apparently the dal was able to pull it off the counter and share. I was frantic, and called the vet. Thankfully no ill effects.

I think you can still find squirt guns. I have gotten several from Walmart. The plant/hair mister is also a good idea.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Cook

A squirt bottle works just as well. I have a friend who adopted a cat that I thought was incorrigible and untrainable. The cat wasn't always on the kitchen counters, she once put some packaged chicken in the sink to defrost (I know that's a no no) and she walked in the kitchen to find the cat in the sink trying to eat the frozen chicken.

She trained that cat. It can be done.