"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
I'm not a big fan of pumpkin and don't know if the pumpkins in the pumpkin patch will be ready--depends on the date. I haven't seen a date suggested. I would maybe make one dish--I can't see doing the appy, meal, dessert, and beverage with pumpkin in it. I definitely will not go out and buy pumpkin.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,941
Chief,
There have only been a few replies here but they have given me some ideas.

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Chief,
There have only been a few replies here but they have given me some ideas.

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?
I like that idea. My other thought is why not include winter squash? I prefer winter squash and many dishes that are made with pumpkin, well, one can substitute winter squash and vice versa. I could get a lot more excited if it were winter squash or pumpkin.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Chief,
There have only been a few replies here but they have given me some ideas.

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I like that idea. My other thought is why not include winter squash? I prefer winter squash and many dishes that are made with pumpkin, well, one can substitute winter squash and vice versa. I could get a lot more excited if it were winter squash or pumpkin.
I agree.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Chief,
There have only been a few replies here but they have given me some ideas.

These contests have been daunting to many members in the past because they seemed so "exclude" (not purposely by any means) those like Steve and CWS who either don't eat pumpkin a lot, don't eat appies/dessert, etc. or find doing a whole meal just overwhelming for where they are as a cook. Also, as CWS mentioned timing is crucial in some cases as well.

You and I would jump head first into this without a second thought and come up with the whole shebang! And I know there are a few others what would (or would want to if lives haven't gotten too hectic. Others would love to just do part of it.

So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?
Anyone ever tell you that you are a genius? Well, I'm officially declaring it to the world, right here, right now. This is a great idea. Also, CWS, i don't see why we can't use winter squash. This doesn't have to be so rigid. The point isn't to have a challenge that excludes people, but to create a challenge that's open to as many people as possible. That way, we all learn something new, and have the opportunity to showcase our ideas, and try things we may not have thought of before.

I think I've said this before. In fact, I know I've said this before. DC is a great place.

What started as a daunting challenge, way back in the day, is evolving into something that is much more than what it started out to be. Originally, it was a friendly competition. Now, it is what I always wanted it to be, a way for each of us to challenge ourselves.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
So far all I've seen are pumpkins that are way too big for me. I quit making Jack-o-Lanterns since the kids in the apt building like to kick them apart. I'll take a look at some of the winter squash and see if there is something I can use.

Otherwise, it'll have to be canned pumpkin. Thinking cap on and planning.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
So, why don't we have categories and you can enter as many or as few as you want. Judging for the category will just be for the people who entered that one. We could have a mod/admin open a thread for each category so all entries go in there to avoid confusion. Polls will be set up separately too.

I am thinking:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make on or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert

Any comments from anyone?
This sounds great. I would be in for one or two of these categories.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
I found a baby pumpkin, a delicata, an orange kambocha, and two others. They are all small, now I have to decide what I am doing with them. I'm in.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Ok then, I believe we are using LP's rules. So we will still have all of the original categories. But, you can enter as many of the categories as you want. If you want to enter just a desert, that's Ok. If you want to create the perfect beverage, and nothing more, go for it. This should be fun.

I'd like to offer a new category, in the spirit of Halloween, I would like to see an edible Halloween decoration. It could be a Dracula cake, or a jack-o-lantern, or anything you want, as long as it has winter squash, or pumpkin in it somehow. What say you all? Is this a good category?

Now we just have to agree on a date.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ok then, I believe we are using LP's rules. So we will still have all of the original categories. But, you can enter as many of the categories as you want. If you want to enter just a desert, that's Ok. If you want to create the perfect beverage, and nothing more, go for it. This should be fun.

I'd like to offer a new category, in the spirit of Halloween, I would like to see an edible Halloween decoration. It could be a Dracula cake, or a jack-o-lantern, or anything you want, as long as it has winter squash, or pumpkin in it somehow. What say you all? Is this a good category?

Now we just have to agree on a date.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Actually, Chief, that is what I meant in my first category:

Quote:
1. Edible Jack-o-Lantern made of other food.
2. Appetizer/beverage (make one or the other)
3. Entree - either in a pumpkin or starring pumpkin
4. Dessert
But we can change it to "Edible Jack-o-Lantern or other Halloween decoration"

Also, I had Appetizer and drink together, but they can be separated.

Finally, I think we are going for pumpkin or other winter squash.

Do you have dates in mind?
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.