Let’s bust myths!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Let’s bust some myths. I’ll start out with the easiest one: searing meat “holds in” the juices.

Getting a sear on meat is only possible if the cut of meat loses moisture. So moisture is actually lost when you sear a steak.

There are so many websites on this subject, that I don’t think posting any particular site would serve a purpose.

Who’s next?

If your soup/stew/tomato sauce is too salty, cooking a potato in it will draw some of the the salt out of the liquid.

NO IT WON'T!!! The potato will absorb some of the liquid with the salt in it but potatoes do not have the magical ability to chemically break down the salty liquid and remove the salt while leaving everything else behind.

The only solution is to add more of the liquids already in the pot to dilute it.

The following is an article on the Washington Post be Dr. Robert Woke, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh. Please check out his book, "What Einstein Told His Cook". It's fascinating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...06a-8370-7e66f03719f4/?utm_term=.4aeb64c7d1b5

If your soup/stew/tomato sauce is too salty, cooking a potato in it will draw some of the the salt out of the liquid.

NO IT WON'T!!! The potato will absorb some of the liquid with the salt in it but potatoes do not have the magical ability to chemically break down the salty liquid and remove the salt while leaving everything else behind.

The only solution is to add more of the liquids already in the pot to dilute it.

The following is an article on the Washington Post be Dr. Robert Woke, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh. Please check out his book, "What Einstein Told His Cook". It's fascinating.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...06a-8370-7e66f03719f4/?utm_term=.4aeb64c7d1b5
Good one!

Location x 3 is what it’s about. Not so fast!

The yeast that is required by a sourdough starter is already contained in the flour itself. The starter doesn’t pull “wild yeast” from the air. This was tested by 1) Developing several different starters in different locations. No, not like the corner drugstore! Anyway, the starters were measured and treated identically. The end result? Even though different bags of flour were used (same brand, though), after analysis, the strain of yeast that showed up in every single starter was the same strain!

So, you don’t have to go to San Francisco. Not to commence caring for a starter, anyway.

Cool thread. I don't have anything to add right at this moment, but something will come to me. I'm guessing that there must be dozens, if not more, myths associated with cooking.

CD

The yeast that is required by a sourdough starter is already contained in the flour itself. The starter doesn’t pull “wild yeast” from the air. This was tested by 1) Developing several different starters in different locations. No, not like the corner drugstore! Anyway, the starters were measured and treated identically. The end result? Even though different bags of flour were used (same brand, though), after analysis, the strain of yeast that showed up in every single starter was the same strain!

So, you don’t have to go to San Francisco. Not to commence caring for a starter, anyway.

You are mixing things here. Yeast and San Francisco are two different things. SF sour dough id more of a technique than type of yeast.

As far as starter, was it done in the same room or not. Starter is a whole and huge discussion.

Last edited:

I’ve read articles about people actually taking a San Francisco vacation just to start their starter, their rationale being that their starter will “pick up” SF’s “wild yeast” that they can then take home and make “real” sourdough.

Really! I thought it was a bit extreme, to say the least.

It is a pleasantly whimsical notion though. I think I’d have to choose New Orleans. I’d brag to everyone how my breads taste like gumbo and beignets, and I’d call it the Voodoo starter!

Cleaning mushrooms with running water will make them retain water. Not true!
I can’t tell you what a sigh of relief that information brought me!

My “Aunt” Vi used to make incredible stuffed mushrooms. Whenever she’d bring a platter heaped full of them to the table “Uncle” Marty would say “you know how they grow these, don’t you?”

It didn’t quite put me off mushrooms, but I’ve been washing them and feeling guilty about it for years. Now I’m vindicated!

Lard is bad for you.

Actually, that’s a myth started by chemical companies pushing their trans fat products. Lard is actually quite healthy as it contains the good fats, but hasn’t any of the bad ones!

Baking soda will remove odors from the fridge. “How could it even DO that” remarked one chef. Save your baking soda for baking and upset tummies!

Putting an avocado pit in guacamole will keep it from turning brown.

Not really. The surface of guacamole in contact with air will turn brown. Regardless, my wife swears it really works...

Last edited:
Putting an avocado pit in guacamole will keep it from turning brown.

Not really. The surface of guacamole in contact with air will turn brown. Regardless, my wife swears it really works...

:LOL: Don't bother your wife and I with facts...I swear it works too. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Go ahead, do a test with two small bowls. ;)

Active dry yeast does not need sugar to activate it, or even make it “bloom” faster. Granulated sugar isn’t food for yeast! Add a tablespoon of flour from your total flour to the warm water. The yeast’ll like that!

Back
Top Bottom