"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #8081
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Studio City, Calif.
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Green Green Grass of Home - Tom Jones
Truly no criticism intended, strictly an observation on an earlier post regarding repetition of song titles. I think this Tom Jones title has been used maybe 10 times in the last 5-6 weeks and so with the thousands of songs that have been recorded that could be chosen, taking a few more moments to think of something different would be terrif. And probably should add that I think of this as just a 'fun game', and not a "competition" which I acknowledge may be contrary to a majority opinion.
So FWIW, my take on it.
__________________

__________________
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #8082
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Studio City, Calif.
Posts: 2,459
Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
__________________

__________________
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #8083
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Truly no criticism intended, strictly an observation on an earlier post regarding repetition of song titles. I think this Tom Jones title has been used maybe 10 times in the last 5-6 weeks and so with the thousands of songs that have been recorded that could be chosen, taking a few more moments to think of something different would be terrif. And probably should add that I think of this as just a 'fun game', and not a "competition" which I acknowledge may be contrary to a majority opinion.
So FWIW, my take on it.
That may be, but I know for myself, I don't see all the posts. When I come to this thread, I go to "Last Page" and scroll down to see what the song title is. Unless THAT poster has used the same song over and over, there should be no beef. How would they know it's been used before? I wouldn't. I have never seen "Green Green Grass of Home" on this thread in all the time I've played the game, and that is over a number of years.

This is supposedly all in fun, no?
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #8084
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Lust For Life - Iggy Pop
Here's to Life -- Joe Williams, Shirley Horn
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #8085
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 5,863
I could have selected from several singers who have performed that song, from Elvis Presley to Joan Baez, but I chose Tom Jones because That's who I remember singing it the first time I heard it. This thread is 800 plus pages and as good as my memory is, there is no way I could remember if this particular song by this particular artist had been used before and I don't research the songs unless I can't remember who sang the first song that comes to mind. I just go with what comes to mind when I see the previously posted song.


Welcome To My Life - Simple Plan
__________________
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #8086
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Studio City, Calif.
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I could have selected from several singers who have performed that song, from Elvis Presley to Joan Baez, but I chose Tom Jones because That's who I remember singing it the first time I heard it. This thread is 800 plus pages and as good as my memory is, there is no way I could remember if this particular song by this particular artist had been used before and I don't research the songs unless I can't remember who sang the first song that comes to mind. I just go with what comes to mind when I see the previously posted song.


Welcome To My Life - Simple Plan
As I prefaced my post, no criticism implied, also implying that nothing I wrote should be taken personally...
I was referring to the song title, not the artist, as this being the 'song title' game, repetition of the same song regardless of the artist who sung it, is what I thought was meant by 'repetition'.
"Welcom to the Jungle" - Guns 'n Roses
__________________
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #8087
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 5,863
Bungle in the Jungle - Jethro Tull
__________________
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #8088
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,987
I don't think anyone wants to take the time to research or track repetitions. I see this as a game that you open, give brief thought to, and respond. It's not a test of your Google skills.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #8089
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Function at the Junction - Shorty Long
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #8090
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Studio City, Calif.
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think anyone wants to take the time to research or track repetitions. I see this as a game that you open, give brief thought to, and respond. It's not a test of your Google skills.
Fortunately (so far!) in a free society, we're entitled to our own opinion...and guess you've stated yours.
__________________

__________________
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.