"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #1931
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
The captive here is the exact double of my cat Larry.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #1932
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's what cats really want:

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #1933
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Here's what cats really want:
I think you're right. But if cats had hands they would be worse than raccoons as pets. I knew someone who had a pet raccoon and she said that raccoons do all the "naughty" things that cats only wish they could do, including raid the refrigerator.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #1934
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think you're right. But if cats had hands they would be worse than raccoons as pets. I knew someone who had a pet raccoon and she said that raccoons do all the "naughty" things that cats only wish they could do, including raid the refrigerator.
Raccoons are very destructive. They don't make good pets at all. They will, however, use a litterbox (although sometimes they use the water dish for that). And, they are very good at using those "hands." At the wildlife sanctuary, the coons are locked in their enclosures. Otherwise, they'd get out and into everything. I've known dogs that could open the fridge...a friend had a padlock on hers to keep her Newfoundland from eating the butter when she was at work.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #1935
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I lived in Tacoma, I worked for a short time at a golf course in the restaurant. There was a raccoon that was a big nuisance for the golfers. So one day it ended up dead. Unfortuantely someone found the babies. One of the golfers took one home and had it spayed, and all the other stuff you do to a family pet. They thought it was really cute for the first month or so. But that wore thin real quick. The vet advised against releasing it to the wild. It had no training that its mother would have provided. The animal had to be put down.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #1936
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Tacoma, I worked for a short time at a golf course in the restaurant. There was a raccoon that was a big nuisance for the golfers. So one day it ended up dead. Unfortuantely someone found the babies. One of the golfers took one home and had it spayed, and all the other stuff you do to a family pet. They thought it was really cute for the first month or so. But that wore thin real quick. The vet advised against releasing it to the wild. It had no training that its mother would have provided. The animal had to be put down.
I'm surprised a vet would spay it. The ones at the wildlife sanctuary are bottle fed for the first while and after that, not handled at all. They have to be a a certain size to be released, so often they are over-wintered because they are too small to be released.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #1937
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm surprised a vet would spay it. The ones at the wildlife sanctuary are bottle fed for the first while and after that, not handled at all. They have to be a a certain size to be released, so often they are over-wintered because they are too small to be released.
It was going to be a pet. Not to be released back to the wild. But the owner found out real quick they don't make good pets.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #1938
Executive Chef

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #1939
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

It was going to be a pet. Not to be released back to the wild. But the owner found out real quick they don't make good pets.
One of my best friends growing up had a dad who was a hunter. Our teacher had just read Sterling North's book,"Rascal", about a boy and his pet raccoon, to our class. My friend's dad brought home a whole bunch of the babies. We bottle fed them, cuddled them, and in return they bit and scratched the heck out of us. Nasty beasties. No way would I make them pets!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #1940
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Attachment 15811

With friends like this.....