Today's Funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Laughter is the best medicine....unless you're diabetic
- then it's insulin"
dontlaugh.gif

When I was a kid living on the Cape, we got on the school but and watch the sun rising over the Atlantic. But by 3 p.m. it was pitch black out when we got out of school. I remember the teacher Miss Stone would pull down the shades at 2 p.m. every day during the winter months. Our class windows faced east and saw the dark real early. Today I understand why. What third grader wants to go to night school? :angel:

Addie, I'm going to guess that Miss Stone pulled those shades down for one of two other reasons: the kids started to gaze out the window instead of pay attention at the end of the school day, or the windows leaked air so bad she was trying to keep some of the cold out. You see, unless the tilt of the earth has changed dramatically since you were a wee one, the earliest sunset in the eastern edge of the Cape is around 4:10 PM.

Addie, I'm going to guess that Miss Stone pulled those shades down for one of two other reasons: the kids started to gaze out the window instead of pay attention at the end of the school day, or the windows leaked air so bad she was trying to keep some of the cold out. You see, unless the tilt of the earth has changed dramatically since you were a wee one, the earliest sunset in the eastern edge of the Cape is around 4:10 PM.
That early? That's the earliest sunset in Montreal. I'm pretty sure we are north of Massachusetts.

taxy, I used Eastham, MA as my reference point since it and Chatham both seemed to be pretty "east" and Eastham is the more north of the two. The sunrise/sunset chart I used starts here: [URL="http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp"]http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp[/URL] You have to select "US cities" and then work your way through other options to get to the monthly calendar. The December calendar shows each day's sunrise and 'set.

Don't forget to factor in that Montreal is further north than MA. Apparently the slant of the sun puts sunset at about the same time for your latitude and Eastham's longitude. Our old hometown in OH is practically due north of Fort Myers Beach in FL, albeit about 1200 north. The difference in sunset times is nearly half an hour at this time of year. The only thing I could learn to like about FL is later sunrises and sunsets. :LOL:

taxy, I used Eastham, MA as my reference point since it and Chatham both seemed to be pretty "east" and Eastham is the more north of the two. The sunrise/sunset chart I used starts here: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp You have to select "US cities" and then work your way through other options to get to the monthly calendar. The December calendar shows each day's sunrise and 'set.

Don't forget to factor in that Montreal is further north than MA. Apparently the slant of the sun puts sunset at about the same time for your latitude and Eastham's longitude. Our old hometown in OH is practically due north of Fort Myers Beach in FL, albeit about 1200 north. The difference in sunset times is nearly half an hour at this time of year. The only thing I could learn to like about FL is later sunrises and sunsets. :LOL:
I forgot that the further east something is in its time zone, the earlier the sunset and sunrise. OTH, if it's the same longitude, then sunset is earlier the further north you go and sunrise is later.

I used Sunrise and Sunset Calculator. It makes a list, instead of a calendar. I found it easier to find the earliest sunset. BTW, the two sites agree on the times I checked.

Dogs can be silly people. :ROFLMAO:

We were going on vacation, and I mistakenly told Beagle we were going to ride in the car. She insisted that she would sit in the car. No potty, no food, no treats. Nope. She had to sit in the car. We were still packing. She spent an hour in the car waiting for us. No problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom